Profile for doublegone > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 415

doublegone (scotland)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips GC9236/02 PerfectCare Expert Steam Generator Iron with OptimalTemp - 320 g Steam Boost, 1.5 L, 2400 W, Purple/White

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 25 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have never tried an iron like this before, with a separate water chamber. So I don't know whether to give Philips the credit or this kind of iron. It does a spectacularly good job with all sorts of fabrics. Really easy to fill. Heats up fast. A pleasure to use. Because a lot of the gubbins are in the base unit it means the bit you wield in your hand is much lighter in weight so you don't get tired so quickly.

The steam does the work while the baseplate temperature stays quite low so you don't have to worry about damaging any fabrics, or the ironing board cover. As it doesn't melt anything it means the baseplate doesn't get sticky with all that gunk that tends to build up on old-fashioned steam irons.

An unexpected bonus is that it is great for using free of a board on hanging suits or curtains. Drops creases lickety-spit and freshens things up with massive jets of steam on demand. Love it!

Other than being quite expensive, the only downside is that it take up more space than an old-school steam iron. But unless you live in a shoebox the improved performance far outweights that inconvenience. I suppose you have to decide for yourself whether you will spend this amount of money on an iron. Anything that makes a chore as easy as this is well worth it for me!

Airmax Sport Version Nasal Dilator
Airmax Sport Version Nasal Dilator

2.0 out of 5 stars Might work for some people didn't work for me, 25 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The difference between this and their standard version (for sleeping) is that there are little catches to stop the gadget falling out of your nose dure to movements. To say barbs would suggest pain and it doesn't hurt. Little plastic catches designed to increase grip.

Sadly though they fell out when I ran just as the standard ones fell out when I slept.

I am sure they will work for some noses but they don't work for mine.

Wordsmiths and Warriors: The English-Language Tourist's Guide to Britain
Wordsmiths and Warriors: The English-Language Tourist's Guide to Britain
by David Crystal

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed to spark with me, 25 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book appeared interesting but I found it quite dull.

David Crystal and his wife, Hilary, a speech therapist, cover a lot of ground, literally and figuratively, as they travel Britain tracking the development of the English language. It is part personal travelogue, part linguistic history, they make 57 roadside stops spanning from the 8th century rune in Ruthwell church to the 1604 dictionary compiled in remote Rutland and ending at University College London, with the 1980s Survey of English Usage. Most stops are in and around London. Each chapter closes with a page of detailed directions.

Its clearly a labour of love but I did not find it very engaging.

Oral B Pro 3000 White and Clean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral B Pro 3000 White and Clean Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific toothbrush., 26 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A great electric toothbrush that leaves your teeth feeling really clean. I like the pressure sensor that lights up to indicate when you are brushing too hard. The brush pulses every 30 seconds so you know you've cleaned each quarter of your mouth properly. It gives a great clean and has a unique shaped head to get in all the nooks and crannies. It holds its charge really well and I'm only having to charge it once a week.

It really makes my teeth feel cleaner than ever. It's like having a polish done at the dentist.

I've have several electric brushes over the years and this one is the best. Highly recommended.

Game On
Game On

5.0 out of 5 stars Eyeliner and big dumb riffs - glorious!, 26 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Game On    (Audio CD)
Wow - this is an exciting young band making well-worn heavy rawk sound newly minted and fresh.

Every song title sounds like ACDC, Judas Priest, Motorhead or Saxon should have used it already - Bull by the Horns, Shoot from the Hip and Fire at Will anyone? There is absolutely nothing new here except the panache this band bring to their work. It could be 1982 not 2015. There are a good many cliches but its done with such verve and joy that it has an amazing freshness.

This style of music often goes wrong because the emphasis is on showy playing rather than songs. But the songs here are the main event. Every one is a perfectly honed hook-laden monster. Big dumb riffs abound. Choruses arrive like express trains. Solos are face-melting enough to please your inner Jack Black but kept to the point.

The New Wave of British Heavy Metal is still breaking it seems. Its just a pity Tommy Vance is no longer with us to give it a suitable introduction. "Thats Amorettes - with two Tees!"

Exhilirating stuff!

Oh and the fatherly protectiveness I feel for the bass player is not creepy, I tell you. Not creepy at all.

Airmax Anti Snoring Nasal Dilator
Airmax Anti Snoring Nasal Dilator

3.0 out of 5 stars Does a good job - but falls out quite a lot., 18 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have worn quite a few of these devices, designed to open up the airways and minimise snoring. This one is the most comfortable to wear. You really don't feel it is there at all, and it does a good job of opening up the nasal passage. The problem I had is that it just will not stay in place. Every morning I wake up with it somewhere in bed with me but not up my nose where it should be. Difficult to say whether this is an issue of size or design. As I write the device is only available as a "medium".

Every nose is different so it might be perfect for other people.

Comes with quite an attractive and neat little case.

Braun Silk Epil 7 7-561 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 6 Extra Attachments
Braun Silk Epil 7 7-561 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 6 Extra Attachments

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 16 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An update of Silk Epil 7 with more attachments. It is watertight so can be used in the shower.

By no means completely pain-free but you get used to it. Seems much more useable for legs than armpits though. I still turn to a razor for under there.

Its well-built and designed. Easy to use. You get about 40 minutes use form an hour's charge.

I am by no means convinced its better than a razor for me but as epilators go, it is a very good one. You need to shave more often but its a case of working out if for you the extra kerfuffle is worth it for more time between sessions. I'm currently on the fence about that.

ANTI SNORE/SNORING STOPPER MOUTH GUARD CUSTOM FIT * CLINICALLY PROVEN TO ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM OF SNORING *
Offered by Ama-ZODE

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me. Definitely worth a go., 11 Mar. 2015
There are a number of items available which work on the same principle as this device.

It pulls your lower jaw forward so the airway is opened up and can no longer act like the reed on a saxophone as you breathe.

Other mouth devices are priced around £10, £20, £50 and higher. It seems you can spend hundreds to have a dentist custom-make one for you.

I just figured start with the cheapest and see if there is anything in it. This is surely the cheapest. And it has worked for me. It is by no means perfect. I still snore but not so loudly. I am however getting noticeably better sleep and waking up feeling more rested. I have been having more dreams than in years. I think you only dream if you are in a deep sleep so I think that is a sign this gadget is aiding my sleep. I am glad I gave it a go. I might try one of the more expensive ones to see if I can get even more improvement.

You can't go wrong at this price. If snoring bothers you at all it is worth a try.

I found it easy to use and fit. You get it soft in hot water then have to fiddle about a bit to push it into your gums to get a good fit. It takes a little bit of getting used to and sometimes I wake up and find I have spat it out. The main downside is that my teeth hurt a wee bit in the first day or two. It is pulling the jaw forward by the teeth after all. I did try a strap device that goes round your jaw and back of your head, but found that much more uncomfortable to wear than this mouthguard.

Philips InfraPhil HP3616 150 W Infrared Lamp for Effective Pain Relief
Philips InfraPhil HP3616 150 W Infrared Lamp for Effective Pain Relief

5.0 out of 5 stars No exaggeration to say this lamp has changed my life., 11 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am one of those people for whom health always seems to be a struggle.

Exercise is an effort for me - I don't leap about in a constant endorphin rush. But I try to keep in good shape and despite being an avid stretcher and taking things in moderation (I run, swim and cylcle), I always seem to be dealing with various muscular aches, pains and niggles. My joints are now becoming an issue too, with a regular twinge in one hip.

This lamp has made a huge difference. It just seems to bring quick relief to the sort of post-exercise discomfort I had thought I was just going to have to live with.

It is well made, easty to use, and I couldn't be happier.

Cole & Mason Wood and Glass Croft Wooden 12 Jar Herb and Spice Rack
Cole & Mason Wood and Glass Croft Wooden 12 Jar Herb and Spice Rack

4.0 out of 5 stars The rack itself is of good solid feeling wood, 20 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Twelve herb-filled jars sitting in a wooden rack .

The rack itself is of good solid feeling wood. It has non-slip rubber feet at each corner. A metallic "Cole and Mason" plate on the front looks a little nasty in my opinion.

The jars are all good quality glass. The lids also feel nice and solid and rotate to three points - closed, fully open or partially open for a controlled sprinkle.

Herbs supplied were oregano, coriander, fennel, thyme, sage, cinnamon, basil, marjoram, rosemary, mint, parsley and chilli flakes.

While it is nice to receive jars full of herbs this does rather commit you to the selection here. The jars not only come with herbs in them but with the name of the herb on the lid. It strikes me that each cook has a different repertoire and would choose a different dozen ingredients. I can't see me ever using much marjoram for instance. Clearly the jars can still be filled with whatever you like but at this price I don't really want to be putting a sticky label over the top of the permanent inscription on each lid. I would have preferred emty jars and a method of labelling them with the names of my own desired herbs.

That aside this is a sturdy and pleasing spice rack, but for what it is, it does seem a little expensive.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20