Profile for David Harry > Reviews

David Harry

Dancers in the Wind: A gripping thriller that will leave you breathless
Dancers in the Wind: A gripping thriller that will leave you breathless

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for more books in the series, 12 Aug. 2017
Intriguing, twisty and thrilling book, set in my local South East London. A world in which nothing seems to be as it appears, the heroine combines multiple threads of investigation, with emotional investment in all sides and a lot of sympathy. Great work!

THE GIRL FROM THE DISCOTHEQUE
THE GIRL FROM THE DISCOTHEQUE

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it., 18 Dec. 2015
Just finished it, excellent! Clever plotting, good characterisation and of course the knowledge of the comedy circuit rings very true.

Ladies Jones Bootmaker Outlaw Brown Ankle Boots
Ladies Jones Bootmaker Outlaw Brown Ankle Boots

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed. My original pair did not do this, 7 Oct. 2015
I bought a black pair of these to replace an identical pair I had bought at full price from Jones The Bootmakers in Bristol last Autumn. I have worn this pair only a few times and as soon as they made contact with damp ground/grass, they let moisture in and became very damp inside. Very disappointed. My original pair did not do this, though they wore out very quickly.

Wolfsangel
Wolfsangel
by M.D. Lachlan

5.0 out of 5 stars This is why people worshipped these dark gods, 2 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Wolfsangel (Paperback)
I can't understand why, but this book almost make me feel ill, in a deranged and obsessive way, and utterly brilliantly.

There's something so compelling about the world where the Norse gods are real that truly brings out the insane nature of their worship like nothing else I have read.

This may sound bizarre, but other religious themed writing has never resonated with me, I haven't felt any passion in them, yet these depictions of the gods, their powers and their followers I find nightmarishly gripping.

I's almost as though it's repellent in a way, but I genuinely feel almost possessed when reading them, and it makes understandable the genuine belief and power of that belief that these ancient societies experienced.

I thoroughly recommend this series, they are like nothing else I have ever read.

Parenting Without Tears: Living With Teenagers
Parenting Without Tears: Living With Teenagers

5.0 out of 5 stars Really thought provoking, 27 Oct. 2013
As a parent of two lots in this resonated, it's no easy though to translate into actions but I'll think twice before jumping to conclusions

Street Magic
Street Magic
by Paul Zenon

5.0 out of 5 stars Best starter guide to Magic I have seen, 27 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Street Magic (Hardcover)
I bought this book in order to entertain my children (7 and 9) and ended up amazing my work colleagues as well.
I have dabbled in magic a few times, even bought the Royal Road to Card Magic (which is excellent and still recommended by virtually all magicians) but this has the benefit of fantastically clear photography instead of line drawings, and a much wider range of tricks including some easy to perform mentalist skills that have superb effects.
He is genuinely enthusiastic about explaining the tricks to someone who has never done them before, and has really thought about the tips that accompany them, which so many guides ignore
The fact that he is left handed but has bothered to photograph all the tricks from a right handed pov shows to me a real dedication to detail (although sinister readers may disagree).
All in all a delight to read, and a book to keep rather than read once and leave on the shelf.