Profile for Dr. Paul Ell > Reviews

Content by Dr. Paul Ell
Top Reviewer Ranking: 136

Dr. Paul Ell (NI, UK)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Alessi Vime Centrepiece in RattanBrown
Alessi Vime Centrepiece in RattanBrown

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 27 May 2016
Without doubt one of the more usual Alessi objects I own and not cheap, but I got it at a much reduced price. The idea is that you place a branch in the centre and it acts as a centre piece. Not my favourite Alessi item but a talking point. Also look at the dimensions. This is a big thing!

Emie Elfy Touch Sensor Table / Desk Lamp with LED lights, for Bedside, Baby Room, Perfect Kids Room Lighting

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 26 May 2016
Despite discussion with the manaufacturer at some length the software - especially iOS software - simply did not work. I tried it on two tablets and a phone. All it did was make sure the Elfy no longer changed colour at all. So until the software is revised don't bother to buy. Without using the Android or iOS software the product simply cycles through a series of colours so I think working software is essential.

This item was provided free for independent testing

5-pack Eyekepper Metal Half-rim Spring Hinges Reading Glasses Include Computer Readers +1.5
Offered by Eyekepper

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 26 May 2016
Cheap but it shows. Some rather strange colours and the value is questionable. All mine have not disintegrated after around three weeks.

This item was provided for independent testing at no cost from the manufacturer.

Babrit Classic 3.5 Inches Black Magnetic Education Learning Floating Orb Levitating World Map Globe

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 26 May 2016
Simply does not work. The globe will not stay in place no matter how much you try. It also takes weeks to arrive. Very disappointing. Mine will levitate towards the top of the led lit oval before shaking violently and then being attracted to the top magnet where it sticks. I've had other devices like these that do work.

This was provided as a complimentary sample in return for an independent review. Obviously with one star this is independent!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2016 8:32 PM BST

STABILO beCrazy! Rollerball Uni-Colours Blue Barrel Blister with 3 Blue Ink Cartridges

2.0 out of 5 stars Unremarkable and expensive., 26 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For more than £8 at time of writing I would have expected a rollerball that was a little higher quality. It has a very lightweight feel and the pointed bottom and top nib cover feel plastically. I actually though these might be some form of stylus for tablets but they are just inexpensive decoration. They are also a bit sharp - certainly enough to take your eye out!

Positively, the pen comes with three ink refills, two of which can be stored in the pen - including one in use. The third you'll need to store elsewhere. As a rollerball it works OK but is not remarkable. Bizarrely if you buy a suitable ink removal device you can erase the ink. I doubt this works but I thought ink was meant to be perminant.

To be fair this is an OK pen but it's costly and does not have a lot going for it. No doubt I will lose it anyway but won't shed any tears. So just two stars. Better pens are available for £8+.

Philips Hue White Ambiance Personal Wireless Lighting LED E27 Starter Kit, 2 9.5 W E27 Hue White Ambiance Bulbs, Wireless Dimmer Switch, Hue Bridge 2.0 [Apple HomeKit Enabled]

4.0 out of 5 stars Installation issues, 25 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love these Hue lights generally. I've replaced most of the lights in my house with these - mainly the colour ones or the earlier white ones. I'm also pretty used to installing them. The advantages include the ability to control the lights not only via a phone app at home but also anywhere in the world. They are also multi-setable both in terms of brightness and colour. As they are LED bulbs they are likely to last for a very long time. Any they can be fit retrospectively so no special wires required. Finally they can be linked to other smart home devices so can turn lights on when someone rings your smart doorbell or movement is detected using a PIR.

So why the four stars? Well I had massive problems linking them to my existing hue set up. First the switch refused to work.I messed with it for hours. Second none of the new lights could be added to my hub - which like the one on sale here is the latest version. You can enter the serial number of each bulb but the text is minute. I needed to find a magnifying glass to read them. Note the comment on my review though that as these bulbs are pre-registered to the supplied hub and switch, and I was adding them to an existing system, it is necessary to use the serial number registration process. The instructions need to just stare this though. All that said, I'm also not overtly impressed with the limited colour range. It's bright white to dark white. I'd go for the colour ones.

However, there remained a problem that my existing hub which crashed repeatedly. I tried the new hub but if you use that you have to install all the lights again - I've more than 25 so not a good option. So back to the original hub which despite months of non-issue use refused to connect to the Internet. So I re-installed the app whith no luck. And the new app is not as good as the last - far less control over the nights than before. And still the switch would not connect.

In the end bizarrely I moved the hub so it was directly connected to by modem - previously and without difficultly it was connected to an Internet power line. That finally sorted the problem out but after about 5 hours of messing about. And I really know this system. I suspect others would have given up and sent the product back.

Finally I could not get the battery strip off the switch and the screw is minute. I had to search for a screwdriver small enough. And the indicator lights never did as the instructions said they should.

So generally a recommended product but this installations was fairly terrible, in part due to the pre-registration system. Everything that could go wrong did. But they are now working! So four stars for this experience. Usually five for these lights.

Update: An addition problem is that the lights do not appear to work with Samsung's SmartThings, probably because they are new. This means that using them in home automation is a further issue.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2016 12:26 PM BST

Zyliss Easy Spin Salad Spinner, Green, Large
Zyliss Easy Spin Salad Spinner, Green, Large

3.0 out of 5 stars Large but good quality, 25 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
All I don't eat a lot of salad but thought this would be a useful product - for guests at least. What strikes me most of all is that it is absolutely enormous. It will require significant cupboard space or a lot of work surface. So for me this is a bit of a problem, hence the mark.

But it's a quality product, the pull string design is brilliant, and if you like green you'll like the colour, it's also got a non-slip base and can go in the fridge if it will fit. Equally it can go in the dishwasher but it will half full it. Oh and you don't get the green spoon etc in this pack but in the Amazon picture,

I have so say that if you're into salad this is probably for you. For me it's rather too large and dishwasher/fridge impractical. Not to fund somewhere to put it...

Samsung UE65JU6000 65-Inch Widescreen 4K Ultra HD Smart Wi-Fi LED Television with Freeview HD (2015 Model)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 22 May 2016
Inexpensive, ultra high definition TV. In the past I've always bought Sony TVs but this is less costly and better. Excellent picture quality and it links to my other equipment. I struggle to fault this cheap TV. And it should not be cheap!

Alessi 9093 B Kettle Stainless Steel with Handle and Bird-Shaped Whistle Polyamide Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Throughly recommended., 22 May 2016
The emitomy of Alessi design and a Michael Graves classic. I have the electric version which has some reliability issues - although not mine. For a gas stove this version is a classic. Elegant and classic. Throughly recommended.

Alessi Sbriciola Bread Board, Brown
Alessi Sbriciola Bread Board, Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant design and a real quality bread board, 21 May 2016
Brilliant design and a real quality bread board. The lower draw not only catches crumbs but has a bread knife storage area. As an Alessi product it's both practical and wonderful. Well worth the cost.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20