Profile for CrystalA > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Skechers Keepsakes - Winter Wonder, Women's Slippers, Black, 8 UK
Skechers Keepsakes - Winter Wonder, Women's Slippers, Black, 8 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Best slippers I've ever had, 20 Dec. 2015
I've been searching for months for a new pair of slippers but couldn't find any. I needed them to have a thick sole, look decent and last long enough. It seems most slippers in shops today are do flimsy that you know they won't last. I'd given up until I saw these on deal, the price was too good to resist so I bought them. When they arrived I knew I'd made the best decision. They are extremely comfortable, have very thick soles and are brilliant if you suffer with pain in your feet or ankles because they have memory foam so your feet feel like they are in a cloud! As far as sizing is concerned I ordered a size 8, I'm normally size 7-8 and I could probably have got in a 7 but what you have to remember is that the slipper is heavily set with fur, so that extra bit of room comes in handy if you have socks on. All in all a fantastic slipper even at RRP I will always be wearing these slippers!

Jagged Little Pill Acoustic
Jagged Little Pill Acoustic

5.0 out of 5 stars Reimagined and beautiful, 25 Sept. 2015
The original version of Jagged Little Pill so me through many hard times and was the first album I related to at the time, the lyrics and fierce sound was unique and electrifying. When I listened to this acoustic album I was completely blown away it is fascinating to me how retelling an album acoustically can change everything especially the emotions it brings to the surface. She is truly a gifted singer and her voice shines through even more once you strip back the layers and go back to basics. For anyone who loves Alanis this CD is a must have.

The Martian
The Martian

1.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity which the film greatly benefitted from, 17 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
I really wanted to enjoy this book but unfortunately I didn't. The characters are very one dimensional including Mark Watney who's personality just seems non existent as all we learn from him is the technicality of trying to survive long enough for a possible rescue in 4 years time.

I really struggled reading the 18% of the book that I did and kept going back hoping that the author would give Mark and the other characters some more depth. I was expecting to learn more about Mark personally before the mission - his fears, his family, his goals and achievements and everything else in between to round out the character and make him real. He focuses on how he can survive which is believable but at no point does his feelings or emotions surface he just meticulously works everything out - explaining in detail everything which gets tedious pretty quickly. I hate to give up on books and have only done it once before but this book was more interested in telling you the practicality of everything which at times you don't always understand. It felt like a task not a pleasure to read I'm afraid.

Update - having just seen the film my thoughts were correct. I felt the book lacked human emotion which the film did not. I still went away feeling that Mark as a character could have been rounded out more as it's quite hard to feel anything for a character when you essentially don't know them or their lives before Mars. I think for readers like myself who don't tend to read books like this the terminology can leave you feeling lost whereas in a film you can see the equipment and make the connection to the story much easier. I still stand by my review and for those who deem it unhelpful I do not apologise. It may have been a bestseller but to me the author lost sight of the characters as human beings. Yes, the technical details are needed but to draw more readers in you have to give them some hing more. If you've struggled with the book I'd recommend watching the film, Ridley Scott certainly knows what he is doing the cinematography is epic and really transports you. For the film I would give 3.5 stars but the book in my opinion still only gets 1.

Maze Runner 2: The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner)
Maze Runner 2: The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner)

4.0 out of 5 stars The maze was just the beginning, 9 Sept. 2015
After reading the first book and that being somewhat shadowed by the fact I'd watched the film first I was really looking forward to reading The Scorch Trials and it didn't dissapoint.

A FEW SPOILERS AHEAD
Very early on you realise the maze was just the beginning, Thomas and the Gladers are now facing the next test in blistering heat, with constant manipulation from WICKED and the horrors of the infected. With this book it begins as if they are now finished with the trials, lulled into a false sense of security which is instantly ripped away. It's an intense book that will shock you moment to moment. You realise that WICKED is even more powerful than you might have realised from the first book, hung bodies appearing and disappearing in a moment, invisible walls etc. What I liked most of all is that the author does not waste time, the story flows well and the chapters are short but punchy. What is fascinating about this book and the first is that all these trials and tests are being designed strictly to gather the right information they need for safe guarding humanity and yet they still don't reveal exactly why they are needing all these variables which keeps you guessing. This book will have you question some of the Gladers motives and will give you more of an insight into Thomas' life with flashbacks and incoherent memories.

So with all of that I still only give it 4 stars. Why? At times even with all that happens you question how certain characters are motivated - Teresa in particular. But WICKED is good!

The Maze Runner
The Maze Runner

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd read the book before I watched the film, 1 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Maze Runner (Kindle Edition)
I read this book months after I watched the film which I normally don't like to do but I had not heard of the book before going to the cinema so didn't have much choice.

SPOILERS AHEAD
This book throws you straight in - Thomas arriving in the box and not having any memory but unlike the film he does remember his name. This character is an interesting one, strong willed and confident but also is in touch with his emotions going through all the stages of grief for a life and world he doesn't remember. The author has raised an interesting question, if you were to wake up tomorrow only knowing your name and nothing else what would you personally do, retreat or fight. When Teresa arrives is where the book starts to take a very different course from the film. She doesn't awake from her coma for some time, she can telepathically communicate with Thomas, she is in my opinion not as strong a voice/character in the book as she is in the film which could have been done to draw in fans of other dystopian stories such as The Hunger Games. The maze itself is much more intricate in the book which was hard to come to grips with as when you have seen another version of the maze via the film you struggle to accept the maze any other way. I don't like to give too much away but the further you read into the book the further the distance between the film - a lot of differences in what happens, how they believe they can escape etc.

I did enjoy this book however I could only give four stars as I really did struggle with the fact I'd seen the film first. The whole way through it was almost as if I were fighting the book, everything was so different. I find it surprising that the author signed off on all the creative changes they made. I realise that cinematically some things really wouldn't have worked but to alter big pieces which actually made more sense in the book doesn't seem right. I am now continuing on with The a Scorch Trials which I am already loving a lot.

Luckiest Girl Alive
Luckiest Girl Alive

4.0 out of 5 stars Edgy, challenging, dark and twisted - great book, 24 Aug. 2015
Luckiest Girl Alive - the title makes you feel as if you more or less know what the book may be about leading you into a sense of security which is ripped away almost instantly. From the outside Ani looks like she has everything, a great job, fiancé and an apartment in Manhattan. Ani is not your typical character though, she's a master at deciphering what any person might want from her or for her to be - especially Luke her fiancé, she is an inwardly clever woman who has be building this facade that is Ani since she left school where something terrible happened.

A documentary producer wants Ani to open up about this terrible incident that happened at school in her teenage years, the reader is taken into a nose dive discovering the truths of a difficult and traumatising time. What I love about this book and the author is that Ani is a punchy character. She hides her truest self under her designer clothes and her need to be the version of a woman who is perfect for whomever she is around. Her desire to outwardly look perfect - the extremes she is willing to do or not to do to appear effortless. In this time many feel the need to do this same thing and I believe the author taps into the current dilemma of a young woman while sharing insightful moments to the world around us.

At times it can be a challenging read, TifAni (as she was known at 14) goes through such a lot in what seems like a short amount of time. She moves from Catholic School to prestigious Bradley and even at such a young age is already trying whatever she can to fit in and be friends with the popular teens. This turns what could have been a beautiful red rose (book cover) into the black rose that is so perfectly captured on the front cover portraying her tarnished soul. I nearly gave this book 5 stars - but I felt the end came upon us very quickly and almost rushed. Without giving anything away I wanted the ending to be edgy and dark like the rest of the book was but it was surprisingly soft.

The Mortal Instruments 6: City of Heavenly Fire
The Mortal Instruments 6: City of Heavenly Fire

4.0 out of 5 stars A strong satisfying end to The Mortal Instruments, 16 Aug. 2015
I feel there is always high expectations with you've been reading a series and it comes to the last book. The previous book for me dragged a little and left me a little disappointed. But that disappointment didn't last long as the first page was straight into the action. It is quite a big book at over 700 pages and I did take my time with it. Cassandra Clare's writing style is on point quickly and easily transactioning between characters with ease. In this book is a world of deception, pain, deaths, transformations, love and despair to name a few. Without giving too much away the story manages to come to a happy conclusion that leaves you able to imagine what could happen in their lives after the book. SPOILER - I was surprised that no one from the main characters perished in the war as I was expecting it.
I only have four stars as although this book was jam packed there were moments where new characters were introduced but it was hard to understand who they were and why they were if that makes sense. I will miss reading The Mortal Instruments they were very enjoyable books! City of Glass will always be my favourite book. But they all are a must read!

The Mortal Instruments 5: City of Lost Souls
The Mortal Instruments 5: City of Lost Souls

3.0 out of 5 stars Preparing us for the explosive end to the series, 2 Aug. 2015
Overall I enjoyed this book but still wasn't my favourite. I like how the books (when read like I have been one after another) flow into each other. I also love Cassandra Clare's writing style. But I felt there were times that the story lagged a little. For the first time we get to know Jonathan Morgenstern (Sebastian) on a deeper level which was needed. Jace has a very difficult time in this book without trying to spoil it I won't say more. Clary is up to her usual defiance and making sacrifices for the people she loves. Alec and Magnus' relationship is brought to the forefront and I really love their relationship. Jordan is in this book quite a lot but I don't know what to make of his character, to me apart from his lust for Maia he is a little one dimensional. Isabelle and Simon is one of the most intriguing pairing of the series, what you think cannot possibly work from the very first book comes full circle in this book - I like that in this book Isabelle's character is much more rounded out, she's no longer just a sassy high fashion girl. Jocelyn takes a bit of a back seat in this book although I find when she is mentioned her strength is like no others. Luke also not as prominent in this book. As with the book before this I feel that the storylines didn't come together until very near the end. The first 3 books were different in the sense that from beginning to end everything was happening and you felt an amazing rush. In places, I wanted to skip forward a little to find out what all the pieces of the puzzle actually made. I still enjoyed this book a lot and especially by the end I was straight into the next book.

Microfibre Cloths Universal Cleaning Pads compatible with X5 and Vax S2 Steam Mops (Pack of 3)
Offered by WE-PRO

4.0 out of 5 stars Better quality than the official one, 26 July 2015
Was looking for some extra cloths for my vax steam mop without a big cost. I was very impressed with these as they are a better quality than the official cloth I got with my steam mop. They are thicker and the cloth is attached more easily as the ty is thicker and stronger.

Cole & Mason Precision 505 Acrylic Salt and Pepper Mill Gift Set - Transparent
Cole & Mason Precision 505 Acrylic Salt and Pepper Mill Gift Set - Transparent

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and functional, 26 July 2015
I saw these salt and pepper mills in Beefeater and decided to purchase this set. They are a good size, look quite stylish on your table or in the kitchen and are easy to use and refill. What more could you need?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8