Profile for Flemming Nielsen > Reviews

The Martian
The Martian
by Andy Weir

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 5 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Martian (Paperback)
Just finished this book and I can honestly say it's one of the best books I've read this year.
The story is very believable and you truly feel for and with the main character. Do yourself a favour and read it.

Always Be Batman T Shirt (Available S - XXL) (Large)
Always Be Batman T Shirt (Available S - XXL) (Large)
Offered by 6 TEE NINERS

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 6 July 2015
Reasonably quick delivery. Nice quality t-shirt with a good fit.

Caffeine Molecule T-Shirt (Royal Large)
Caffeine Molecule T-Shirt (Royal Large)
Offered by Rinsed

3.0 out of 5 stars Loose fit, 6 May 2015
The pic indicates a somewhat slim fit but that is not the case.

Sword and Scimitar
Sword and Scimitar
by Simon Scarrow

2.0 out of 5 stars Scarrow not on form, 25 May 2013
This review is from: Sword and Scimitar (Hardcover)
This is, far and away, the worst Simon Scarrow book I've read. The main characters are not really very engaging and the evil enemies lack both depth and colour. The language, especially the dialogue, is often stilted and so overly emotional that it becomes annoying, at least to me.
This next bit contains spoilers:
The story itself is too full of plot twists and "side quests". Scarrow has tried to make the siege of Malta even more exciting by adding further elements to his story. The result is rather messy and unfocused. Sword and Scimitar is a love story, a spy novel, a siege story, a father and unknown but estranged son get reunited and found a strong bond story, an anti-war and anti-extremism story and probably a few other side stories, but I kind of lost track.
All in all; it doesn't work for me. Scarrow should have adhered closer to the main point of the story and focused more on the siege itself. A lot of his sub-plots could probably have been contained in this setting and the story could have been more streamlined.

Emperor's Mercy (Bastion Wars)
Emperor's Mercy (Bastion Wars)
by Henry Zou

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't! Just.....Don't!, 2 Mar. 2013
This is the worst Warhammer 40K novel I have ever read!
Why?
First: The story line is somewhat uneven and not all that believable.
Yes, yes, I know we're talking about event forty thousand years into the future, with daemons, laser weapons and so forth. Nevertheless, science fiction novels need to be sort-of-believable; the suspension of disbelief and such. This one isn't. Several times, events take place that just don't seem believable. You want examples? Okay, but spoiler alert: at one point, a group of battle-hardened, mercenary warrior-class troops execute a perfect (and that's a quote) ambush on our hero and his followers and despite quite superior numbers, and our heroes being without cover, manage to kill only two soldiers. In the initial erhm... perfect... ambush.
Also, several times our hero manages to outflank the enemy (who surrounds him), by using the well know stealth capabilities of horse troops, on an open WW1-style battlefield... on a planet with three suns... with constant daylight.... except, sometimes it's night.

Secondly: The writing is really bad. Zou uses a lot of add-on sentences, kind of like I do, but worse, since he gets paid for it. He uses this to describe the settings and moods of the characters, but since it is incessant it becomes invasive and completely annoying. I'm generally a fairly calm person, but I did, on occasion, argue loudly with the book. My wife was confused and amused. Maybe a little worried.

The last point I`m going to ramble on about, is the language Zou uses. It seems to me, that he has used a thesaurus extensively and has just plopped in a lot of fancy words, without actually getting them quite right. Several times he uses words that you CAN use in the sentence, but you usually don't, because the meaning of the word is slightly off. I don't know how precisely I describe this, and I can't be bothered to look for examples. I don't want to open the book again.

The book took me a long time to get through and I quit twice, but decided that I had to finish it in order to be able to write a review. I hate it, when people write reviews about books they haven't finished, so I try not to do that.
In conclusion: It's a lot of work to get through and it really isn't worth it. Don't buy it. But if you must read it, you can have my copy, it's free!
... But you will have to either come get it or pay for postage... and I live in Denmark, so it's probably cheaper to buy it where you are. But the offer's open.

A War to Be Won: Fighting the Second World War
A War to Be Won: Fighting the Second World War
by Williamson Murray

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 18 Aug. 2012
If you want to learn more about the way the Second World War was fought, this is the book for you.
The authors manage to cram it full of usefull information, largely follow the chronology of the war, be technically astute without confusing the technically 'in-astute' reader and still be entertaining. That is quite a feat in itself, but they built on this by showing tongue-in-cheek humor as well as being able to bring across the countless horrors the war inflicted on millions of people.

This is one of the finest books on the Second World War I have ever read.

Stark's Crusade (Book 3)
Stark's Crusade (Book 3)
by Jack Campbell (writing as John G Hemry)

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent end, 29 Dec. 2011
Stark's Crusade is the last book in the Stark trilogy. It's a pretty good read, but it is unfortunately the weakest book og the three. The battles are as fine as they come, but the story is rather heavy on the flag-waving. All the we-are-good-Americans and long-live-the-Constitution is of course in line with the feel of the triliogy and you do sort of have to accept it as part of the premise for the story. However, for a non-American like myself, there does seem to be rather a lot of it and the near constant boy-scout do-goodery unfortunately takes up too much space in the story for my taste. I feel Campbell/Hemry could have fleshed out the story a little more, instead of being quite as blatantly pro-American.
The trilogy is still very much worth a read, eventhough the ending is a little weak.

The Edinburgh Dead
The Edinburgh Dead
by Brian Ruckley

4.0 out of 5 stars Great horror-faction, 23 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Edinburgh Dead (Paperback)
This is a very a good read; a mixture of several genres but very much its own.
Brian Ruckley makes extensive use of factual history for both the Edinburgh setting and the events in the story but adds his own embelishments; often making it hard to separate pure fact from pure fiction. At other times it is of course quite easy to separate the two, since this isn't your typical historical fiction novel. This is historical fiction with a dark supernatural twist - Sharpe meets Dawn of the Dead.
We encounter several of the darker fears that horror writers have enriched our book-shelves with, though I won't go into too much detail here.
The Edinburgh Dead has a very classical Shelleyesque or Stokeresque feel to it. The horror elements take place outside the accepted understanding of reality in the society the book portrays; In the Edinburgh Ruckley describes, the dead simply don't rise, monsters aren't real and no one has any understanding of how to fight these things. This makes their presence much more realistic and the actions of the main characters far more believable. The fact that he garnishes this with some of the more unpleasant (and completely true) aspects of humanity's quest for understanding the human form simply adds up to a very good read.
I enjoyed it tremendously

The Fort
The Fort
by Bernard Cornwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty decent story, 3 Oct. 2011
This review is from: The Fort (Paperback)
I liked 'The Fort' a lot, though it does feel a little slow a times. This, I think, is mainly due to the fact that Cornwell has adhered rather strongly to the actual facts of the historical events depicted in the novel. It leaves less room for Sharpesque heroics but makes the story seem all the more realistic for it. At times I wasn't entirely sure whether I was reading a fictional novel or a factual account; very well done, Mr. Cornwell.
Two things make me give 'The Fort' three, rather than four stars: One is the ending, which I think is somewhat abrupt; I know the story had to end at some point, but perhaps it could have been done a little more elegantly. The second element that makes me downgrade the rating is the simple fact, that the American War of Independence has never held much interest for me. That's hardly Cornwell's fault, but then, this is my review.

Thunder and Steel (Warhammer Omnibus)
Thunder and Steel (Warhammer Omnibus)
by Dan Abnett

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some bad, 4 Aug. 2011
Thunder and Steel is a collection of different Dan Abnett Warhammer material; mostly novels and short stories, but with a few graphic novels thrown in as well. Not all of it is all that great, but some of the stories are well worth the purchase. The omnibus contains a bit of a rant from the Dan, mainly about when, why and how he wrote the stories, a feature which I personally find very enjoyable.
The two first novels in Thunder and Steel are Gilead's Blood and Hammers of Ulrich. Both of them started out as a collection of short stories, which have later been worked into novels. Unfortunately, it shows. Especially Gilead's Blood is rather disjointed. It is also, very clearly, from the earlier days of the Warhammer universe. The style of the stories has changed since then and to my mind, Gilead's Blood is the weakest of the novels in the omnibus. It took me quite a while to chew my way through it, I'm afraid. Hammers of Ulrich works somewhat better, even though it is a joint venture between several authors. At times it is pretty great, but overall it doesn't quite reach the mark. The third, and last, novel in the omnibus is Riders of the Dead, which in my opinion is the best part of Thunder and Steel. This is the novel that makes the omnibus worth buying. The final two shorts stories (Swords of the Empire and Shyi-zar) work. They aren't great, but they are well worth a read as well.
The last 30 or so pages are given over to graphic novels and, frankly, they shouldn't have bothered. Now, I'm not a big fan of Black Library's graphic novels, so I don't really know how well the graphic novels worked originally, but in grainy black-and-white and printed on small pages in a paperback; they simply don't work on any level.
All in all, I sort of liked Thunder and Steel, but it does have a few problems, which makes me feel it only deserves three stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5