Profile for Paul Comerford > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Fartleks & Flatulence
Fartleks & Flatulence

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine Frozen Farts, 11 Jun. 2016
This is one of those books that grows on you. David Berridge competes in ultra endurance events on foot which makes ones eyes water. At nearly 60 I have just started to dabble in ultras, so have been reading everything I can find. Most ultra books can be flat and rather runner's-logish but there are occasional gems (Karnazes/Jureck). This one is worth the read.

At first one sees Berridge as a newby - he is modest, struggles and learns page-by-page - then there is a transformation. His adventures take him across the globe, ending in a couple of trips to Canada to take part in some insane mega-distance sled pulling for days! In the end you realise that this modest man is fairly good at this stuff. I became 'fond' of this book as it is modestly written, factual and the adventures are presented as possible for anyone. It will remain in my top 4 for some time and kept to encourage my mildly eccentric plans.

GORE RUNNING WEAR TMYTMS Men's MYTHOS 3.0 Split Shorts, neon yellow, L
GORE RUNNING WEAR TMYTMS Men's MYTHOS 3.0 Split Shorts, neon yellow, L

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and brilliant!, 11 Jun. 2016
It is never easy to find 'perfect' running shorts. If one is short of leg the more recent longer short are annoying and, for me, I prefer the older racing style from the 80s. Over the years I have found good ones and, once they are knackered, find they've gone from the market. This month I've had to dip into the market again, and thought I'd try these new style Gore Mythos 3.0 Slit leg ones. Yellow? A bit flash, but I run on the roads and want to be seen - the odd yell of "He's had a Jaffa!" proving that I am very visible (probably from space too).

Verdict. Beautifully made and comfortable, hence the generally higher price, but they are very, very good. Not the lightest material yet this does not matter as the sweat dissipates before the shorts get wet. The rear pocket is large enough for a gel and keys. One word of warning - size. If you are a hefty Medium, go for the Large. I know this as I was accidentally sent a Medium pair (no fuss fast exchange by Amazon) and they were tight across my thighs. The Large are perfect.

You can buy cheaper shorts, but they won't have the build quality of these. I now have 2 pairs and they have become my shorts of choice. Will probably buy some black ones too as the occasional canary joke can wear a bit thin...

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ghost gets better., 15 May 2016
I've moved from Ghost 6, to 7, and now to 8s. With wider feet I would usually have to buy a uk 9.5, but the 2e width have delivered the perfect fit at uk 9. I started running in Ghosts three years ago and was so impressed by the 6 that I bought 3 pairs - they are still all in great shape and used. They gave me a light, 'silent' ride and have never caused a problem. I once used anti-pronation shoes, but found the advantage of absolute stability actually altered my natural foot plant too much, causing Achillies pain. The Ghost is neutral, but very stable - for me the perfect shoe. The Ghost 7 was much the same, but was even more 'invisible' on my feet. I have run 28 miles in these without a twinge. Now to these beautiful Ghost 8s. There is a subtle change. They are just as light, but feel stiffer and feel very much suited to the roads. Whereas the 6 and 7 could be used on good trails, I only use the 8s for long-long distances on the road. They are perfect for this. I have yet to find a better shoe than the Brooks Ghost, and the 8s have not changed my mind. If you want a good distance shoe that is light, naturally stable and quiet, theses are for you. Brilliant.

How To Run Your First Ultra-Marathon: From 10K to 50 Miles in Six-Months.
How To Run Your First Ultra-Marathon: From 10K to 50 Miles in Six-Months.

1.0 out of 5 stars A basic essay on very little., 2 May 2016
Incredably brief with no depth. Just a chap running a bit. I read this in an hour. My training log is a more exciting read.

Never Wipe Your Ass with a Squirrel: A trail running, ultramarathon, and wilderness survival guide for weird folks

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Wipe, but do run., 2 May 2016
There are a few ultra running book reviews by me now - I have started on the road to ultra running, so am digesting all the books I can. This is one of the better ones. At first Jason's American style was a bit twee for me, but eventually I found some reasonable advice and there is a lot of help buried in the pages. Give him his due, he says at the start that this is a jumble of experiences personal to him, and to learn more try your own training based on trial and error - such lessons are the best. This said, it is a book I can read again and it does have a title which reflects the level of humour inside. The British 'Arse', however, is far superior to the American 'Ass'. Worth a read by aspiring ultra and trail runners.

Ben on Foot
Ben on Foot

3.0 out of 5 stars And then what?, 2 May 2016
This review is from: Ben on Foot (Kindle Edition)
I've had a mad spell of reading as much on ultra running as possible, so have become a bit of a critic of the genre. Ben on Foot is worth a read if you are new to distance running. Unfortunately it is more of a running log with little in the way of tips for others. As with most narrative tales, it tends to personal feeling and misses the primary need for reading runners. There is no technical details of times, nutrition, training types and kit in general. In the end his main goal was not realised, and he sort of fizzled out. I give this 3 stars as his cause was good and his enthusiasm undoubted. Unfortunately, once read, there is nothing to refer to that is of much help. A typical self-published and ordinary tale.

Injinji Performance 2.0 Trail Midweight Mini-Crew CoolMax XtraLife Toe Socks- Wild Lime/Slate-Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Best socks in 34 years., 2 May 2016
Of all the Injinji socks, these have become my winter and trail favourites. They keep your feet warm in cold weather, or well cushioned on trails - and, of course, both! They are well made, robust and comfortable. I am a toe-socks fan, with Injinji the best make out there. If you've not tried them, buy one pair - you will be converted. In 34 years of distance running these rank as the best socks I've ever used.

Meter Box Latch Kit (IS0020-Z)
Meter Box Latch Kit (IS0020-Z)
Offered by Trade Counter Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful, 27 April 2016
This review is from: Meter Box Latch Kit (IS0020-Z)
Fitted in less than a minute and finally my meter box door stays shut. Don't suffer, spent a wee bit and pretend to be an engineer. Great little kit!

Anusol Haemorrhoids Piles Treatment - 24 Suppositories
Anusol Haemorrhoids Piles Treatment - 24 Suppositories
Offered by TK Logistics

5.0 out of 5 stars Pedro's Gallops to blessed relief., 27 April 2016
I'm a long distance runner and Chalfonts are common in endurance participants. I had an op (no anesthetic!) some years ago, but at times the Grapes of Arse return. An attack of Pedro's Gallops during a ten miler a while ago led to the Squeaky-bum One-legged Polka seven miles in, where a hobble to a wheat field via a barbed wire fence was my only option. Having fouled this corner of England the Nobby's returned. My GP gave me a prescription for these Bullets of Ease, but buying them online is cheaper. Kept in the fridge and delivered to the Ring of Fire as instructed gave instant relief, and cured me very quickly. I even continued running, but was careful passing wind.

A great product and at least ordering online means one doesn't have to proclaim ones suffering. Perhaps they should change the name to Bum Salve or some such.

Duplicity (Cold War - Redux)
Duplicity (Cold War - Redux)
by Harvey Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Real time fiction at its best, 27 April 2016
With this first of a new trilogy Harvey Black is taking his knowledge of recent history and weaving possibles and probables with definites. The time line in the story is factually accurate allowing him to sow the seed of a 'possible' accounting for events in Ukraine right now. Because his research is so deep, and because he can envisage himself in real battles, in real events, and interpret real outcomes, the story has palpable menace. His Cold War 'Effect' trilogy rewrote history; the new Cold War 'redux' story is NOW.

How does he do this? His website and FaceBook pages will show you how he has become close to his subject. It is almost as if he is living the same lives as his Ukrainian soldiers. This, coupled with a seemingly endless knowledge of weapons, tactics and logistics has given him an almost unique position in modern war fiction. The characters in Duplicity are fighting in battles still appearing in newspapers. Politicians cannot state the reality of the Ukrainian protagonists' actions in the real world as diplomacy gets in the way: words offend, offence is taken, accusations invented and unnecessary deaths glossed over so as not to cause upset on the world stage of hard politics. Black has no such mandate.

Duplicity is centred around the battles between pro-Russian separatists and the Ukrainian army and volunteers. Russia's massive presence and deep influence can be seen on all fronts. The West play the political game, but it is Harvey Black's preferred heroes that carry the fight: soldiers in holes, poorly armed volunteers, hard men with just them between success or failure. The story accelerates through the book and, as usual, stops with the reader wanting more. But, unusually, in this case, the 'more' may actually be happening as we wait. I hope Harvey is out there saving the world. A great read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14