Profile for Susan > Reviews

Improve Your Own Quality of Life: The Swedish Way
Improve Your Own Quality of Life: The Swedish Way
by Mrs Pia Webb

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's take first steps now to better tomorrows, 2 May 2015
I have enjoyed reading the book and the big messages which I personally got from it were:
(1) Taking responsibility is a big thing (I'm not sure that I do this!!)
(2) The importance of making a first step
I was interested to see about the cooking dairy-free, gluten-free food (p 40)
One of the pages talks about getting round to doing things that we have put off - that made me think.
Mainly I have become aware that I have for many years now being concerned with doing things in a certain way – well organised and well planned. But now I am thinking “what exactly am I achieving by being so concerned to do things this way”? What would happen if I did n’t do them that way? What do I really want/need anyhow? One answer is "organising my time so that I can find time to read these mind expanding, inspiring and self-improving books.”
I thought that it is interesting that Pia says on page 79 - "I always put myself first”.
I listed dance me for recharging my batteries in the future (page 69) then a few days later I saw a flier for Shake Your Soul Dance and Movement in Preston. I have started going to that now and I am really enjoying it especially the opportunity to get in contact with my more playful, feminine side through South East Asian dance.

Revolution
Revolution
by Russell Brand

5.0 out of 5 stars Democracy and women's vote, 23 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Revolution (Hardcover)
I think it's a great book. It brings a lot of helpful stuff to people who would not normally know a lot of what he says. It is OK for Guardian-reading liberals to sit in Hamstead, sipping red wine and looking down their noses at this book, but they already know a lot of what he is saying. A lot of people who would not normally pick up high-brow books, New Age books or psycho-babbly self-help books will I think pick this book up. And I'm sure that their lives will be the better for it. I think that Russell has done a good job with this book. (It reminds me in this respect of a book called " F**K It: the Ultimate Spiritual Way" by John C Parkin.)
I agee very much with Russell's assertion that in practice we don't really have a proper working democracy. For instance in 1918 (and 1928) women got the vote in the UK. I would have expected to see dramatic changes in the operation of government comparing it before 1918/1928 to after 1918/1928. But we don't do we?
(Apologies for any typos - I'm still trying to get used to my varifocals!!)

Working in Teams (Management Shapers)
Working in Teams (Management Shapers)
by Alison Hardingham

5.0 out of 5 stars well thought out, solid, reliable advice., 24 May 2014
I have read eight books in this series now and I really like them. They represent a good balance between too little and too much detail. They are usually about 60 pages long and packed with well thought out, solid, reliable advice. I have even bought books in the series on topics about which I am not particularly interested in learning more about - just to find out what their (ie this CIPD Management Shaper Series) take on it is. (I had read about 6 of these books before I realised that they are a CIPD series - CIPD = Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development - the CIPD champions better work and working lives. It is the professional body for HR and people development with over 130000 members internationally.)

Chakra Clearing: A Morning and Evening Meditation to Awaken Your Spiritual Power
by Doreen Virtue PhD
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to start and end the day, 24 May 2014
I have never done much work with chakras before and I have been surprised by how useful I found the CD. I listen to it first thing in the morning and last thing at night (there are two sections on the CD - one for morning and one for evening). I don't listen to every word or do it at all intensely - I've just found it a great thing to listen to. I like the music, I like the voice - I recommend this as a way to start and end the day. (Usually I fall asleep before the end of the evening one - which also surprises me since I am still awake for the second to the last chakra - and wake up a bit later with my earphones still on!!)

Among the Bohemians: Experiments in Living 1900-1939
Among the Bohemians: Experiments in Living 1900-1939
by Virginia Nicholson

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 24 Nov. 2012
This is the second book that I have read by the Virginia Nicholson. She is just so intelligent - she makes such interesting and insightful comments and observations. She also gives different view points without seeming to be biased (eg for the benefits and drawbacks of the Bohemian no-rules system of education.) I also appreciate the dry sense of humour.

Bath Water Level Alarm
Bath Water Level Alarm

5.0 out of 5 stars Really glad we bought it, 24 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Bath Water Level Alarm
I can't see how they do it for the price. It is a really solid unit and easy to use. It has saved at least one flood. (Previously we had three floods. I realise that the house is now very clean but we still think that it is much better to keep the water in the bath!!)