Profile for S. G. Kirsch > Reviews

Content by S. G. Kirsch

S. G. Kirsch ""Professor Piffle"" (Harrow , UK)

A Picture Of Britain - Complete BBC TV Series [DVD] [2005]
A Picture Of Britain - Complete BBC TV Series [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ David Dimbleby
Offered by rightpricediscs

5.0 out of 5 stars David Dimbleby at his Best, 29 Dec. 2010
This was one of David Dimbleby's best TV programmes. His commentary was well written and
well delivered, and the videos and pictures are wonderful views of our country. I was able
to see only one of the programmes, and at that time my TV was a crummy old model which didn't
reproduce the views properly. So I was pleased to see that it is now available on a DVD -- and
incidentally at a very low price from Amazon!

Symphonies Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 4 in Full Score (Dover Music Scores)
Symphonies Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 4 in Full Score (Dover Music Scores)
by Ludwig van Beethoven

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read!, 25 Oct. 2010
I intended to buy a miniature score of these pieces, but only the full-size one was available. Although

the latter was a little more expensive, it is much easier to read and see the individual orchestral parts.

So it was well worth the money!

Prestige Deco 4-Slice Toaster, Almond
Prestige Deco 4-Slice Toaster, Almond

4.0 out of 5 stars Prestige Deco Toaster, 25 Oct. 2010
This toaster is much easier to use than my old one, and is also more versatile. The only shortcoming
is that there is no handle to pick it up by; as I keep it in the cupboard and only bring it out when I need it, this causes some slight difficulty.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2010 9:58 AM GMT

Life Stories
Life Stories
by Sir David Attenborough

4.0 out of 5 stars Pictures!, 24 July 2010
This review is from: Life Stories (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my little nephew, but I enjoyed reading it myself and looking at the superb
pictures.

Pentax Optio I-10 Digital Camera - Classic Black (12MP, Wide Angle 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars 267 pages!, 13 May 2010
The camera works very well. However, the Operating Manual came only in computerized form and I had to print it out, all 267 pages of it. It took me several hours to do this. It might cost a lot to send a printed copy, but surely it could be added to the cost of the camera. (I must admit that the Manual was easy to follow and understand, at least the part I have read so far.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2010 9:59 PM BST

Deep Blue [DVD]
Deep Blue [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alastair Fothergill
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 18 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Deep Blue [DVD] (DVD)
What beautiful pictures of so many sea creatures -- and what beautiful sounds of gulls crying, waves beating, etc. -- I even liked the orchestra playing, apparently from the bottom of the sea! Congratulations to the BBC Natural History Unit.

Poem for the Day One
Poem for the Day One
by Nicholas Albery

4.0 out of 5 stars Old and grey, 28 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Poem for the Day One (Paperback)
"Poem for the Day" contains the lines by Yeats: "Take down this book, And slowly read". You will certainly enjoy taking Yeats's advice. Incidentally, in her foreword Wendy Cope asks "Why bother to learn poems?" It's no bother: the gorgeous verses in the book will quickly abide in your memory. I only wish that Wendy had included a few more of her own poems, which make one laugh -- and then think!

The Bicycle Thieves [1948] [DVD]
The Bicycle Thieves [1948] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lamberto Maggiorani
Offered by somethinginmyeye Dispatching daily by 1st class post.

5.0 out of 5 stars An evergreen film!, 28 Aug. 2009
I first saw "Ladri di Biciclette" in 1950, when my elder sister took me to a cinema in London as a treat. I thought that it was the best motion picture I had ever seen. Now the cinema no longer exists, my sister is dead, and I am 79 years old, but I still enjoy watching de Sica's wonderfully acted, photographed and directed film. Its touching story inspires pity and sympathy for one's fellow humans and should therefore improve our behaviour towards them!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2010 7:00 AM BST