Profile for M. Stonitsch > Reviews

Content by M. Stonitsch

M. Stonitsch (Wolverhampton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Field of the Star: Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela
The Field of the Star: Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela
by Nicholas Luard

5.0 out of 5 stars Santiago de Compostela, 29 Nov. 2013
I first read this book a few years ago but gave it to a charity shop when I was moving flats. Sometimes, I was sorry to have given this book away so I was very pleased to be able to buy a copy back.

In the Absence of Angels
In the Absence of Angels
by Elizabeth Glaser

5.0 out of 5 stars Kein Engel an meiner Seite, 29 Nov. 2013
I first read this book in German in 1993 and am pleased to now have a hardback copy in English. Paul Michael Glaser's recent performance in the musical Fiddler on the Roof was the impetus for me to buy this book - albeit second hand.

Kein Engel an meiner Seite.
Kein Engel an meiner Seite.
by Elizabeth Glaser

5.0 out of 5 stars In the Absence of Angels, 29 Nov. 2013
I first read this paperback in German on holiday in Sri Lanka in 1993 - hotel copy. I was so caught up in their autobiography that I spent half the holiday reading it, while my friends were sunbathing and swimming in the pool. I have also recently bought the hardback copy in English.

I was so very impressed with Paul Michael Glaser's recent performance in the musical Fiddler on the Roof, that it reminded me to buy a copy of the book and read it again. I also have a DVD of the original 1971 film.

Besser Wird's Nicht
Besser Wird's Nicht

5.0 out of 5 stars Fendrich, 14 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Besser Wird's Nicht (Audio CD)
I have liked Rainhard Fendrich since the early 1980s - I like his voice, Viennese accent and the irony in the lyrics.

Lakeland Traditional Moroccan Tagine 1.2L
Lakeland Traditional Moroccan Tagine 1.2L
Offered by Lakeland

4.0 out of 5 stars Lakeland Tagine, 14 Oct. 2013
On the whole, I like it but I haven't used it yet. As it is mostly for decoration, I was initially disappointed in the number of bubbles in the top of the lid - imperfect? There could be another reason for this, however - the Islamic belief that only God is perfect. Their goods always have slight imperfections because of their belief.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2015 9:27 AM GMT

Pharmageddon
Pharmageddon
by MRC Psych David Healy

5.0 out of 5 stars David Healy, 14 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Pharmageddon (Paperback)
I have recommended this book to some of my friends because it explains how Psychiatry and Pharmaceuticals have worked together for decades - for better or worse. It has changed my life. I am free of doubts now.

I have begun to wonder if my mother's initial Alzheimer's diagnosis took into account her anxiety medication or the post traumatic stress of WW2. She also took corticosteroids for asthma (anxiety induced or possibly as a result of working in the textile industry in the 1950s and 1960s and calcium medication for osteoporosis). She also took part in a clinical trial for Aricept.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2013 6:08 AM GMT

The Bitterest Pills: The Troubling Story of Antipsychotic Drugs
The Bitterest Pills: The Troubling Story of Antipsychotic Drugs
by Joanna Moncrieff

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Joanna Moncrieff., 14 Oct. 2013
I have recommended this book to some of my friends because it explains how Psychiatry and Pharmaceuticals have worked together for decades - for better or worse. It has changed my life. I was impressed with De-medicalizing Misery, but had to wait for this book to be published to trust my own perceptions.

I begin to wonder if my mother's initial Alzheimer's diagnosis took into account her anxiety medication or the post traumatic stress of WW2. She also took corticosteroids for asthma (anxiety induced or possibly as a result of working in the textile industry in the 1950s and 1960s and calcium medication for osteoporosis).

The meds suit some people but not others - I think psychiatrists sometimes view patients as collateral damage.

STUNNING METAL CONTEMPORARY DESIGN, METALIC SQUARES SCREEN / ROOM DIVIDER
STUNNING METAL CONTEMPORARY DESIGN, METALIC SQUARES SCREEN / ROOM DIVIDER

1.0 out of 5 stars Very sharp edges, 8 Aug. 2013
It is sharp edged and covered in metal dust which I breathed in on opening. I have spoken with the seller who agreed to take it back. However, I have decided not to return it to the seller but will have it recycled instead.

WM Bartleet & Sons Coffee Filter Cone
WM Bartleet & Sons Coffee Filter Cone
Offered by Crown Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Small filter cone., 16 Nov. 2012
This is exactly what you need for a mug of coffee or 2 small cups. Originally I thought it was a bigger filter cone - it isn't for 1x 4 filter papers as I expected, but if you accept that it is the smaller version, then it does exactly what it supposed to. A great cup of filter coffee. I have cut down some of 1 x 4 filter papers so no problem there either.

Pons Burokommunikation Deutsch
Pons Burokommunikation Deutsch
by Josef Wergen

4.0 out of 5 stars German for Business - Office Communication, 16 Nov. 2012
This is exactly what I will need for the future - it's up to date and written in German for Germans. I am British with a BA in German from 1976 and my office German needs a quick brush up. It needs to be relevant for modern business negotiations. This book increases my confidence, accuracy and terminology in writing business letters, emails and making business phone calls in German. I have used German for other purposes in the past - I worked in tourism in Austria with an Austrian and British team and still go there on holidays.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4