Profile for Dave Wilson > Reviews

Content by Dave Wilson

Dave Wilson (England. UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Philips Hue White Ambiance Personal Wireless Lighting LED E27 9.5 W Edison Screw Bulb, Works with Alexa

2.0 out of 5 stars Bulb is ok,. but the Hue App doesn't work., 9 Aug. 2017
Not quite as I hoped. The issue is not with the bulb its with the app. The bulb is fine, a nice warm glow at low settings and a very bright almost daylight at full power. But the problem is being able to control it. the app gives you the ability to switch the light on or off or dim it. but there is no option to change the colour from warm to cool.

What you can do is to choose the pre created scenes. some of which are cool white and some of which are warm yellow. But when you next turn on the bulb (for me anyway) I seem to get the same setting that it last used.

The idea of this bulb was to awaken to a sunrise effect as the bulb changes from warm yellow sunrise to bright blue daylight. But in effect this does not work. i turn on in the morning with the same colour as i last used.

Sadly this is typical of the entire hue system, which promises so much but delivers so little. The app is constantly loosing connection to the hub, the integration with Alexa, is very hit and miss, the app doesn't work away from home, and Phillips support are pretty useless too. So in all honesty I can't find anything good to say about the whole Hue system, as it doesn't do anything that it claims.

NETGEAR GS308-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop/Wallmount Switch
NETGEAR GS308-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop/Wallmount Switch

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb solid metal quality from a name you can trust, 9 Aug. 2017
Superb solid quality from a name you can trust. much better than the plastic boxes you will see. solid metal quality. The reason I knocked on star off is just a small gripe. all the network connectors are at the front, but the power cable, plugs into the back. so i cant fit in on my shelf against the wall either way round. But it does have holes underneath for wall mounting. Which I will probably do. Allays reassuring to see the Led's flashing too.

Yuiip G4 LED Bulb 1.2W 120LM AC/DC 12V 5000k Cold White COB LED Non Dimmable Halogen lamps G4 10W replacement 10 Pack
Offered by ShenZhen Myhan Technology Co., Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good SAME SIZE replacement, very bright. But you'll need a driver !, 9 Aug. 2017
Note that you do need an LED driver to run these. You cant just swap out for your halogen bulbs, as they wont work. it's something to do with the LED's not drawing enough power for a conventional transformer. So if you're planning to change your halogens for these then do factor in replacing the driver too for an LED version.
These bulbs are the exact same size as the original halogen bulbs. which is unusual. most LED's are huge in comparison to their halogen counterparts. I wanted these for some tiny kitchen down lighters so the other led types just wouldn't even go in (despite claiming to be G4's). But these are the same size so slot right in. Do note though, they still get warm. No where near as hot as the halogens did, that's why i replaced them. but the led's do still get hot. hence star off.

Mens 33mm (1.25") Elastic Webbing Belt by Ashford Ridge (Black, Large)
Mens 33mm (1.25") Elastic Webbing Belt by Ashford Ridge (Black, Large)
Offered by HotShuffle

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Comfy Belt, it just works !, 9 Aug. 2017
Like others I was sceptical about the lack of holes. but it just works. I really nice looking comfy belt. I highly recommend it.

10 meters of Natural Sisal Rope - ø 10 mm
10 meters of Natural Sisal Rope - ø 10 mm
Offered by Falcon Workshop Supplies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for recovering the cat's scratching post, 9 Aug. 2017
Perfect for recovering the cat's scratching post. probably do a second one too. great value, and the cats love it.

Knife Sharpener - Smart Sharp by Lantana. No1 Choice for Sharpening Kitchen Knives. Next Generation 3 stage Manual System for professional results - ceramic stone, tungsten carbide plates, diamond rod. Ergonomic Design with a Stylish Black/Chrome Finish. Used by Chefs World Wide - Sharpen Your Blunt Blades Now!
Offered by GT Homeware

5.0 out of 5 stars The Holy Grail ! ! a knife sharpener that actually works !, 9 Aug. 2017
Incredible. I've used many different products to sharpen my knives, stones, files, diamond files, various sharpeners. everything. Most are useless or incredibly difficult to master. This sharpener got my entire collection of kitchen knives (about 20) to shaving sharp in about 1/2 hour. A few of my kitchen devils where actually from car boot sales, totally blunt. but now razor sharp in a few seconds. this is the first knife sharpener i have ever used that actually works and does what it claims. Cheap penknives, supermarket knives, right up to sabatier and my range of Kitchen Devils (the original Taylors Eye Witness make). all come up shaving sharp.. So if like me you've tried everything else, then look no further you've found the holy grail - a knife sharpener that actually works! you will not be disappointed this time.

Philips Hue Personal Wireless Lighting Home Automation Bridge 2.0, Apple Home Kit Enabled, Works with Alexa

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely useless piece of junk ! App looses signal constantly. Doesn't do what it claims., 9 Aug. 2017
Absolutely useless piece of junk !

Basically nothing in the Hue system works as it should. Firstly the App, is useless. it constantly looses connection with the bridge even when my iPad is sat next to it. So this in itself renders the entire system useless as you cant control it from your ipad or phone, as the connection keeps dropping. Exhaustive conversations with Phillips, who basically say "turn it of an on again".

Another thing not mentioned in the literature is that the hue app doesn't work at all once you are out of wi-fi range. So when out late, you get out your iPhone to turn on the lights at home, don't bother, as the app wont work at all. You need to log into the hue website and log into your account, there you can turn lights on or off (nothing else). But by the time you've done this, you're back home anyway. So that whole idea is a con too.

Then there's Alexa. Its never really clear what you are supposed to say to her in order to activate your different lighting scenes. I have several default scenes for my bedroom light. "Alexa, energise in bedroom", and she does, setting the Energise light scene accordingly. She also understands nightlight. But all the other scenes she just just responds "Sorry I don't know how to do that". SO she can understand some scenes, but most just don't seem to work.

Colour changes. As others have mentioned when using colour changing or white ambience bulbs. the hue system doesn't seem to know what colour you want. For example if I have my bedroom light set to nightlight, (a dim warm glow), then turn it off at nigh. in the morning the light come s on it has the same warm glow. But if the last scene used is a bright blue light, then that's what comes on in the morning. The Idea of waking from warm to daylight sunrise if just another con.

The lights are fine. but the combination of the useless app and connection problems to the bridge, combined with poor assistance and support from Phillips, effectively mean that the whole system is an expensive headache that simply cant live up to any of the advertised claims. My opinion at the moment is that the whole system is going on eBay.

MoKo Apple iPad Air 2 Case - [Kickstand] Durable Hybrid Silicone + Hard Polycarbonate Kid Proof Extreme Duty [Shock-Absorption] with Foldable Stand Protective Cover for iPad 6 9.7 Inch Tablet, BLACK
Offered by MoKoDirect EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! The best Protection, Best Grip, Nice Stand and not too bulky either, 19 Jun. 2017
My title says it all really. The three part clamshell design offer several layers of protection. With the inner polycarbonate shell outer rubber cover and intergraded screen protector. But the case is very unobtrusive its not too big and bulky as some others I have had.

My new iPad (air 2) out of the box is smoother than lightly buttered otter. Quite simply an accident waiting to happen. But this rubber case adds real grip to iPad. the finger groves on the back also make it super comfy to hold in either hand. The stand is a great feature and fairly sturdy compared to others. It would have been nice if it was adjustable (or rotatable). But I guess thats not what this is made for. But its a very nice little bonus. In use the home button is easily accessible. much better than my previous one which had a huge rubber bulge over the home button. Swiping up or down from the edge if fine. Which can sometimes be troublesome with certain cases. So all in all a great case and I thoroughly recommend it.

Betron KBS08 Wireless Portable Travel Bluetooth Speaker Titanium
Betron KBS08 Wireless Portable Travel Bluetooth Speaker Titanium
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars I listen to German Techno like Scooter with is loud and bassy, 19 Jun. 2017
I wasn’t expecting much from something so small (it fits in the palm of your hand, about the size of an egg cup), but I must admit to being pleasantly surprised. The Bass is also quite impressive too. I listen to German Techno like Scooter with is loud and bassy. Vice versa I listen to Enya, which is softer and has more treble. Both sound very good even at max volume. Perhaps just a little distortion with the techno at full volume. I also find that what I place it on effects is greatly. Placing it on a shelf allows the sound to travel better and amplifies it.

I use mine with my Amazon Echo. I paired it to Alexa using the Alexa app. Simple enough. Now I have Alexa playing music in the bedroom, in the living room all I do is switch on the little speaker and it automatically connects, giving a verbal "connected to Bluetooth" reply. it them plays the music from the bedroom.

One slight drawback for me is that when Alexa uses this speaker, she switches of the speaker in the Echo dot. You can’t seem to use both at the same time, which is really what I wanted, to have several little speakers all around the house. But that’s an Echo issue, nothing to do with this speaker. Once charged up it seems to last for days. and I love the blue led ring too.

one thing I didn’t initially realise is that it has a built in microphone. So yes, when connected to Alexa I can talk to her through the speaker. I haven’t tried it with anything else, but it may also work with my Mac. The info says you can use it like a hands fee system with your mobile, I’ve not tried that. But I can certainly say that it works very well with Alexa. SO very impressed and pleased with it. Nice solid build quality too.

Dremel Engraver 290-1 Compact Tool (35 W), 1 Accessory, 1 Stencil
Dremel Engraver 290-1 Compact Tool (35 W), 1 Accessory, 1 Stencil

5.0 out of 5 stars Usefull and inexpensive, but poorly made and VERY NOISY !!, 19 Jun. 2017
A very useful item and if you shop around you can pick these up for a few pounds. But do use them carefully. The end of the unit where the engraving nib secures is aluminium (or something like that). I found that the first time I tried to tighten the screw to hold the nib, it simply stripped the threads. l meaning I could not secure the nib and the unit was useless. So do be careful with that. I got mine replaced. In use you can engrave even hard steels, quite easily. Personally though, I find the shape a bit odd. However I hold it, it just feels awkward. So writing and engraving names are very difficult to do. Its damn noisy too ! I mean "really" noisy. So do think about where you are going to use it. I do use mine, and find it very useful, for engraving numbers on tools. But I dont think its the kind of tool I could use all day long, say for engraving a design on something.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5