Profile for Blue frog > Reviews

Blue frog (UK)

OCZ 700W StealthXStream Power Supply - UK
OCZ 700W StealthXStream Power Supply - UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk - don't waste your money, 26 Aug. 2010
Bought this in Feb 2010 in frustration whilst waiting for the return of my previous OCZ PSU which failed! Its noisey and has now failed as well! The manuafaturer's warranty is a joke, they claim that they send you a replacement PSU as soon as they receive and assess your failed one - however you have to post your PSU to Holland. It cost me £20! It then took about 4 -5 weeks to receive a replacement and i can't do without my PC for that long so bought this as a replacement. In summary, noisey, failed after only 6 months and the returns policy is a joke. Buy another brand - I will!

Ultra Versus U-Boats: Enigma Decrypts in the National Archives
Ultra Versus U-Boats: Enigma Decrypts in the National Archives
by Roy Conyers Nesbit

5.0 out of 5 stars This isn't a novel, 10 Mar. 2009
This isn't a novel so if your after an action packed narrative of the war against the U-boats look elsewhere. However if you are looking for a compelling read about the U-boats and how the cracking of the Enigma code helped the allies defeat them, details of the countermeasures and most of all a detailed account of the history of many of the U-boats and the associated engima decripts -then this is for you. High recommended but only for the serious U-boat anoraks.

1080P Component to VGA Box Converter Transcoder
1080P Component to VGA Box Converter Transcoder

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work for Xbox, 7 Dec. 2007
Bought this so I could use my Xbox (original not 360) with my TFT PC monitor. Despite trying everything it would not produce a signal which a TFT monitor could read. Even tried two different monitors. Gamers Gear were really helpful and after I returned the unit they tested and said it was OK. So I can only conclude it won't work with the original Xbox.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2010 4:01 AM BST

Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger, Knight's Cross
Sniper on the Eastern Front: The Memoirs of Sepp Allerberger, Knight's Cross
by Albrecht Wacker

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 19 Nov. 2006
A very good read, well written and fascinating. Follows a German sniper's war from the eastern front to the end of the war and his homecoming. A great insight into the thoughts and fears of German soldier and the horrors of any conflict. A well researched and factually rich account that isn't disjointed like so many accounts. There are a few horrific accounts of atrocities committed by the Soviets and an acceptance that such acts occurred on both sides. A very human account that made me hope, as I read that Sepp's storey would have a happy ending for him. Highly recommended.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2012 11:31 AM BST

The Long Range Desert Group 1940-1945: Providence Their Guide
The Long Range Desert Group 1940-1945: Providence Their Guide
by David Lloyd Owen

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 22 Jun. 2006
Very engaging. There was something that drew me to this book and I wasn't disappointed in any way. Maybe it was because I had never heard of the LRDG before. The book is well written and balances superbly a historical account of the Group and accounts of actions they undertook. The characters in the book are fascinating; to me they summed up the understated yet ultimately professional British soldier and as such are very endearing. The Group's exploits are amazing in a truly British way, it's not all about firepower or number of kills its about skill and cunning and whilst it in no way undermines the importance of winning the war, expresses the notion of it being to a certain extent a challenge and a game of wits with the Axis forces.

I was truly astonished at the distances the LRDG travelled in the desert to observe and sometimes attack the Italians or Germans. Even more so by the almost casual accounts of where soldiers had needed to walk huge distances after being separated from their unit or colleagues just to get back to friendly forces. I certainly developed a huge level of respect and admiration for these chaps having read the book. Highly recommended.

by Colby Buzzell

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype!, 14 May 2006
Difficult to be objective with all the hype. I never read Buzzell's blogs at the time but I can understand the thrill people got from the immediacy of his writing. From that perspective it is an excellent read. There is something special I guess about reading something written by someone that only happened a few hours ago across the other side of the world. However I don't think this translates well to a book. The pace is slow and repetitive, whilst I appreciate that war can and often is like this it doesn't always make for good reading. The text is short and doesn't reflect much depth in understanding of the situation he finds himself in.

An easy read that you will finish in only a few days this book doesn't pose many questions and answers fewer. Will probably make a good film with no doubt a hot sound track.

by Colby Buzzell

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not brilliant, 14 May 2006
Don't get me wrong, I liked this book. Fast paced and a slightly different take on the first person front line accounts. Buzzell is different or at least different from how I imagined US forces personnel to be in Iraq. I never though they would like the same music as me!

I had to write this review to balance some of the other reviews which were a little too gushing (for gushing read American). I never read Buzzell's blogs live, as it were, and I think the transfer to a book loses some of the potency and it becomes like a lot of other first person accounts. I get the impression that the passion that some people seem to like about this comes purely from the immediacy of it originally being live on the net. Certainly Buzzell's level of description and demonstrated understanding of the Iraqi issues are far from in depth. The book is simply a combination of his blogs and I suspect diary entries. It is definitely worth a read so don't be put off but don't expect more than a simple fast paced read.

Ripcord: The Screaming Eagle Under Siege, Vietnam, 1970
Ripcord: The Screaming Eagle Under Siege, Vietnam, 1970
by Keith William Nolan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding red team, get you a case of bear for that one, 11 Nov. 2005
Superb, the detail Nolan conveys gives the feel of an academic text whilst the pace is more akin to a work of fiction. I was a little put off initally in that the book covers only a very short period, unlike most Vietnam accounts which cover the usual 13 month tour, but the level of detail isn't off putting. Nolan must have spent months if not years interviewing veterans and it shows in the richness of the book. Certainly a book to go back to for a second read.

Superbike Ducati [DVD]
Superbike Ducati [DVD]
Offered by Special Interests

4.0 out of 5 stars One for the Ducatisti, 16 Sept. 2004
This review is from: Superbike Ducati [DVD] (DVD)
If you like Ducatis, or even just want one, especially a monster or 996 you'll love this.

Year in Nam: A Native American Soldier's Story (North American Indian Prose Award Series)
by Leroy TeCube

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat limited in depth, 2 Nov. 2002
Whilst i enjoyed this account it felt a little two dimensional at times. a lot of the book recounts experiences without exploring them in any depth. even so i would recommend the book as it is a clear account, possibly more suited to a first time reader into the american involvement in Vietnam. tecube's writing is at time monotonous but conversley does not have the ficticious feel that other so called factual books claim. Whilst the book is often "sold" on an american indian's account, tecube only skirts over the issues pertinent to his culture and background. sorry tecube.