Profile for P. F. Darlington > Reviews

Content by P. F. Darlington

P. F. Darlington "Wicker Man" (North England)

Page: 1 | 2
PURE Chronos CD Series II, DAB/FM/CD Stereo Clock Radio - Black
PURE Chronos CD Series II, DAB/FM/CD Stereo Clock Radio - Black
Offered by iZilla

1.0 out of 5 stars Very cruddy inside unit, 9 Sept. 2013
Oh, that little Napoleonic-esque squit on the Beeb that says we should love our digital radio has much to answer for!!! Why are my UK license contributions being used to advertise Chinese radios on an otherwise advertising-free state channel. BECAUSE THEY WANT TO DIVEST YOU OF "YOUR" radio bandwidths in order to sell them off. DAB is only an interim measure anyhow as 1) Greg Dyke really screwed up technically and B) it is presumed internet radio will eventually take over the "radio" market. DAB also renders the portable radio virtually pointless as the DAB COMPONENTS DRAW MORE CURRENT AND YOU'LL NEED A FAIRLY HEAVY RECHARGEABLE.

We retailers get a lot of returns of this particular set as the CD has such a short reliability esp. if you knock it over. Indeed, it will probably be joining your analogue radio in landfill shortly after. It certainly looks ready designed to.

There are retailers on Ebay selling this set as a "pre-scewed up" reconditioned unit as it were, in which the radio only works (No point fixing the CD) It can be had for GBP40 free PnP (No, it is'nt me!!!). So you can use the CD as a coaster holder for your tea (as they were always intended)

Honestly, the ease with which the British surrender their jobs to foreigners.

DAB is a big illusion my friends!!! Long live analogue (esp. valve powered)!

Rabenhorst In Balance Barley Grass Cocktail
Rabenhorst In Balance Barley Grass Cocktail
Offered by Toy and Gift Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars Damn expensive!, 18 Jun. 2013
This is very good stuff and I drink it often but why this price???! I can buy it locally for around 4 pounds 30. I mean:
Is'nt Amazon rich enough?

Pay your UK taxes Amazon!!!!

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows [DVD + UV Copy] [2012]
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows [DVD + UV Copy] [2012]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Wore me out in ten minutes..., 20 Jan. 2013
One of the reviewers here claims Guy Ritchie (director) 'reinvents the Sherlock Holmes genre' here. I say this has more in common with Chinese Kung Fu style slow motion films than anything. It actually has less style. It is a Sherlock Holmes not on 7% morphine solution but clearly sniffing lines of cocaine in between takes. I felt it myself after ten minutes, and never has the more traditional approach of Jeremy Brett looked better - and safer for the prospects of my long term sanity. I've just finished it now - I shan't bother with it again. Such a pity as I am such a fan of all the cast members involved.

Be warned: If you are not of the video game generation and prefer your Sherlock Holmes thoughful and eccentric this is NOT for you!

The Iron Lady [DVD]
The Iron Lady [DVD]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by Discs4all

1.0 out of 5 stars No iron in this lady..., 2 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Iron Lady [DVD] (DVD)
One star I suppose for the costumiers effort. I'm afraid it fails on so many levels. My friends who hate Margaret Thatcher doubly dislike Meryl's portrayal of her and others (like myself) who always admired Margaret Thatcher cannot stand it because she portrays some sitcom version of this controversial but routinely (and dangerously) underestimated woman. Sadly Meryl reminds me more of Mrs Slocombe from BBC's 'Are you being served' in this film than the real Iron Lady. Except, I think Mollie Sugden would have done a better job. Not your best Meryl - I really wish you had'nt tried! (I still like your other stuff)

The Woman in Black [DVD]
The Woman in Black [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars Rather good, spooky enough for me, 14 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Woman in Black [DVD] (DVD)
Nice to have Hammer films back on line, I loved them in my youth, I miss Peter Cushing and Vincent Price hugely - both irreplaceable princes amongst men. Christopher Lee is thankfully still with us. However, Danial Radcliffe was perfect here as he has a lovely balance of vulnerability and spunk that works well as the portal for our fears in this classically styled film. I watched it with my mum (age 82 - SHE DOES NOT LIKE GORE) on an overcast, rainy, horrible day and it was scary enough for us. If you liked the BBC Christmas ghost stories, or the original 'The Haunting' you will love this...

Bright Star [DVD]
Bright Star [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Whishaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Rescued a lost soul here from the drivel of New Year TV., 1 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Bright Star [DVD] (DVD)
The reviews from Amazon and Mr Venus on here eloquently describe this fine piece of work from Jane Campion. I am on here merely to register the need many of us have to satiate the obvious deficiences we are left with after the trials of a dreary, wet Xmas holiday season, and having had to put up with seemingly endless 'entertainment' leaving me at least, feeling worse than I started the season. This empathetic, radiant film rescued me and left me enervated, not saddened strangely. I suppose it is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all, and in the hands of Ms. Campion, and the VERY fine actors I was not left bereft, indeed I was strengthened. I am so pleased I bought the DVD a week ago and I'll add it to my library in an easily accessible position.
Some who come to this film may have short attention spans, and may need 're-education'. If you do successfully retrain yourself then a whole new range of pleasures await you. Therefore we need more directors like Ms. Campion. I do hope empathy is not just the province of female directors, but she certainly ups the profile of her sex in this industry.
Now to seek out Andrew Motions Keats biography (on which this film is based)

Joan Of Arc - The Messenger [DVD] [2000]
Joan Of Arc - The Messenger [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Milla Jovovich
Offered by Just4-U-Media

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot better than 'Braveheart', 1 Jan. 2012
...as a visual spectacle, with a realistically professional looking enemy. Although, like 'Braveheart' also historically highly flawed. Still, when do film-makers let history get in the way these days? Jovovich is radiant and rather good, and the 'cameos' by the Hollywood 'elite' rather good too. Malko is decadent in just the right way, and Dunaway deliciously manipulative as you would expect from a matriarch so close to power. The British contigent enjoy themselves hugely as the REAL nasties and are great fun for it. To make a worthwhile movie the 'bad guys' have to be fascinatingly nasty. They certainly are here. So it gets 4 stars in my book as I've watched it four times and so I must like it. It is (almost) a true Epic and certainly does'nt take a moralizing stance like some of the old Hollywood 'biggies'.
Mel Gibson eat your ('Brave') heart out!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2012 9:25 PM GMT

Stephen King's The Langoliers [DVD]
Stephen King's The Langoliers [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patricia Wettig
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather good..., 28 Dec. 2011
Caused me to think about the shape of my universe...and the nature of self sacrifice. It is an extended TV version of a 'Twilight zone' story (if I remember correctly back 50? odd years) the 'conversion' is not entirely successful due to the 'sponsors messages' being made room for etc. Sad that, but America is the land of capitalism. Still well worth watching and the 1995 vintage FX still runs better than Bill Gates products of the period.
Enjoy...

Garrow's Law: Series One [DVD]
Garrow's Law: Series One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrew Buchan
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and gets better..., 8 Dec. 2011
...in series 2. The Beeb shows its quality in making this. It is not a Moll Flanders type romp I was brought up to believe the 18th century was supposedly like. This is a sober appraisal and informative but sufficiently staffed with human interest and a range of foibles I think the great Hogarth would appreciate. Undoubtedly an updated history for a 21st century audience, there has been some criticism (by the odd reviewer stateside) of the quiet, rational Garrow portrayal by Mr.Buchan. The original Garrow was very theatrical and passionate, but I doubt a modern audience would be au fait with the contemporary references. Mr.Buchan's approach is intelligent and helps explain the actual legal and social mechanisms of the day.
All the other actors were VERY well chosen.
'Nuff said except I do hope we get series 3+

The Boat That Rocked [DVD] (2009)
The Boat That Rocked [DVD] (2009)
Dvd ~ Philip Seymour Hoffman
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of good talent, 11 Sept. 2011
...or maybe I should say music good film total rubbish. Then again I did'nt much like the other films of Curtis in any case. He's obsessed by 'free sex' with the same recurring 'joke'. He seems to forget: if sex is freely given away to people of no personal regard then what value has it? They do say if you remember the sixties then you were'nt really there. This movie certainly never has been anywhere outside of Curtis's poorly researching brain. By the way: where's the crew on this magically self-powered craft. The hippy's on this 'danger to navigation' don't look like they could find where the breakers are if the lights went out. We were afforded a brief visit (courtesy of Mr Twatt) to the 'genny flat' which was suspiciously quiet (unmanned and clean). Unlike the favouable reviwers here, perhaps I failed to dismiss my rationale enough, as it certainly pushed this seafarers credibility too far and so I suppose this film is really a drug crazed dream. Sadly, I've met some of the 'wreckage', those still alive that is - that did run their lives like those portrayed in this film and they have brains like cauliflowers (large void spaces). A mad time that fostered many of the problems of today. I do also remember a very different sixties: of space race and smart, cool people and a pointless war. We believed in people then, and what turned out to be propaganda. I believe this film is just pro-sixties propaganda. A lot more sex for free in the early 70s in my humble experience.
Then perhaps I'm just uncool but then I'll sacrifice a little cool for a better quality life any day. Oh yeah, and its NOT even very funny. Good morning Vietnam captures the period better (from a US perspective).

Page: 1 | 2