Profile for Robert Cooper > Reviews

Content by Robert Cooper

Robert Cooper "robcthegeek" (London, England)

KitSound Data Sync, Charge and Audio Output Docking Station Cradle with 30-Pin Connector for iPhone 4/4S - Black
Offered by total digital stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Sleek and Effective, 1 Dec. 2011
Had this for about a week now - really happy with it. It looks great on the desk next to my MBP, and coupled with Siri it has really turned my iPhone into a mini PA system - I can easily hold the button on my phone and ask for reminders, call people and set timers (I am a productivity nerd). I also have it hooked up to my speakers/headphones (via a splitter that you need to buy separately) so I can get the sounds I want, where I want.

Then, when I want to go, I just pick up the phone and get on the move! No more messing around with cables!

Other people have noted things about poor build quality - looking at the equipment and having used it for a bit, I don't see anything with the build quality that concerns me.

Nice work KitSound!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2011 11:53 AM GMT

LeapFrog Learn & Groove Counting Maracas
LeapFrog Learn & Groove Counting Maracas
Offered by jobber1919

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, Shame only 1 Lights Up, 2 Jan. 2010
I bought these for my niece for Christmas - she loved playing with them and dancing around. Build quality is good and they are not too heavy. No messing around with batteries etc, they come ready to go.
My only gripe was that only one of the maracas lights up/plays sounds etc. Would have been nice if the 2nd lit up as well.

Becoming Agile: ...in an imperfect world: .in a Imperfect World
Becoming Agile: ...in an imperfect world: .in a Imperfect World
by Greg Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, But Wordy, 23 Aug. 2009
I started reading this but found it a real slog at times. The authors do a GREAT job at covering all the concerns (or at least the concerns I had) with moving to agile in a non-agile environment but they tend to keep rehashing some (what I thought) were simple concepts over and over and over. This made for a hell of a lot more reading.

After about chapter 7 I switched to "skim read" mode. I then started plowing through the book a lot quicker and picking out the useful bits (and there are a lot).

All that said, this is a must-have for anyone moving (or thinking of moving) to agile. Lots of tools, tips and answers to tough questions in these pages. I will be referring to this a lot as I transition to a more agile system.

The Art of Unit Testing: with Examples in .NET
The Art of Unit Testing: with Examples in .NET
by Roy Osherove

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for New/Novice Unit Testers, 21 July 2009
This is the summary taken from my full book review published here: [...]

An excellent book, I would recommend it if:

* You are completely new to Unit Testing.
* You have been Unit Testing for a short while and looking to see what the next step for you is.

If you have been a hardcore TDD practitioner for years, then I would expect that this book is not for you since you would have likely hashed all the issues covered in the book.

There are a lot of great anecdotes in the book, many of which rang home with me and personal experience. Which (for me) just affirms that the content is good.

A real nice, relatively short read. Great job Roy!

Kingston KVR667D2S5/2G RAM 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 SODIMM, 200-Pin, 1.8 V
Kingston KVR667D2S5/2G RAM 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 SODIMM, 200-Pin, 1.8 V
Offered by SiQuell.direkt

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-Have for NC10, 2 July 2009
I am a geek, I use my computers a LOT and I demand a lot of them.

I do not want to go into some long spiel about why you should get one of these. So I will try and make it as simple as possible.

This is the singlemost cheapest way to get better performance out of the NC10. If you are getting/own one, BUY THIS - You will thank me later.

2GB is really the minimum memory for modern OS' and associated applications.

UFC 2009: Undisputed (Xbox 360)
UFC 2009: Undisputed (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, But Some Holes, 2 July 2009
This is an awesome game and it's great fun to play. There is an excellent soundtrack, and taking people to the ground and pounding them into oblivion never gets old :)

However, I have some gripes:

1. The career mode is SLOW, there seems to be slow "saving" menus popping up ALL the time. It averages at least 5 min between matches. This can get boring and tedious.

2. No south-paw. This is ridiculous. The game developers basically couldn't program left-handed fighters, so they simply left it out. Rich Franklin now has to fight orthodox and so do I. Lame. Some fighters were even left right out of the game because the developers were having "clipping" issues.

3. Some voices are missing from the game and simply replaced with silence. It looks silly (e.g. Steve Mazzagati)

Other than that, the Pros :)

1. Awesome soundtrack.
2. Great fun, excellent damage display.
3. Great range of technical skills to work with, strengths and weaknesses are obvious and can be capitalised on.
4. Everyone has a punchers chance :) - There is no "chin" meter. If you catch them on the button, you can potentially knock them out, at any time (I've knocked out people in <1 min in first round :D)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Much More Protection Than Standard Sleeve, 2 July 2009
I wanted a tougher case to hold my NC10 since I carry it everywhere with me. I didn't want anything too bulky and I normally carry it in a backpack so didn't need anything _too_ tough.

This fit the bill nicely. Certainly adds a fair bit of protection and looks pretty good. I like the way the zip comes right around (as opposed to being more sleeve-like) so it is quick and easy to put on/take off.

The Non-Designer's Design Book
The Non-Designer's Design Book
by Robin Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Intro for Non-Designers, 26 Jun. 2009
I am a software developer so I am naturally awful at creating things that look good ;)

I am very much aware of user experience though, and I hate the idea that I am potentially creating something useful that no one ever wants to pick up because of bad UI designer.

This author came highly recommended to be, and I can see why. Robin does an excellent job of breaking down the concepts of design and demonstrating them. This book has really opened my eyes to the basic principles of good design and made an excellent "foot in the door".

A must for those that are not naturally artistic-creatives :)

Samsung NC10 10.2-inch Netbook (Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Windows XP Home, Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bit of Kit!, 26 Jun. 2009
I was a bit nervous about this product since it is relatively expensive for the amount of power you get.

I am a software developer, so I am always asking a lot of my machines and I cannot remember the last time I used a single core CPU..

However, the NC10 has really blown me away. And has now gets a lot more use than my dev laptop (Acer Aspire 5920G) simply because it is so quick and easy.

I am also running Windows 7 which runs SUPERB on it (performance is on par with XP) I have all the sexy UI enabled, run Visual Studio 2008 and other applications all at once with little to no problems (anyone who is a dev knows how much VS and R# can eat your machine).

I also have the 2GB RAM since it is so cheap - I would highly recommend it since anyone with an ounce of knowledge about PC's knows RAM is the most cost-effective performance booster.

Pros:
Very small, VERY lightweight.
Highly portable.
Excellent battery life (even when using WiFi)
Plenty of hard drive space - you may need it for copying CD's locally (I tend to copy ISO's to the hard drive then use Daemon for CD's that I need).
Screen size is crisp and clear.

Cons:
My single and only bug-bearer with this machine.. The weird keyboard layout for the right hand. For some reason it is a reduced-size SHIFT on the right (as opposed to the normal left) and they have replaced the space with the backslash.. I am still getting used to not mashing the wrong key!

Oh, also the Brightness/F-Key Controls don't seem to kick in properly when waking from sleep (i.e. I can't adjust the brightness _sometimes_ when waking up). HOWEVER - It should be noted that this is possibly not the NC10 but Windows 7 so take it with a pinch of salt.

Great product that I highly recommend!