Profile for Paul > Reviews

Cat watch Ultrasonic Deterrent
Cat watch Ultrasonic Deterrent
Offered by green gardener

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but seems to work., 29 July 2017
Seems to work ok, but still had cats in the garden where the sensor 'beam' didn't reach. Mine seems to be more sensitive when approached from the left. From the right you have be almost in front of it.
Have started to move it around the garden and fingers crossed - no cats.

Blackspur BB-JS206 12V Trickle Charger
Blackspur BB-JS206 12V Trickle Charger

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality, 23 July 2017
A wire broke off one of the clamps on the second time I used it. Otherwise ok.

3D Prima PrimaValue PLA Filament, 1.75 mm, 1 kg Spool, Black
3D Prima PrimaValue PLA Filament, 1.75 mm, 1 kg Spool, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product., 14 Jun. 2017
Having tweaked my extruder and filament temperature settings / cooling , I'm now getting very reasonable prints; but poor quality overhangs are still niggling me. It's worth checking the diameter and making the necessary software adjustment as mine was around 1.7mm on average. Overall a good product.

Functional Design for 3D Printing 2nd edition: Designing 3D printed things for everyday use
by Clifford T Smyth

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, huge margins and line spacing., 14 Jun. 2017
This book is very informative, even if it looks like someone's school homework where they've used as big a font as possible, huge line spacing, and massive margins to make it look a lot more substantial than it really is. I did feel a little cheated when I first opened it. A lot is common sense (to me anyway) but there are a lot of useful tips and ideas which get you thinking. Good if you're clueless about how to design stuff....

Geeetech Acrylic Prusa I3 X Self-assembly 3D printer DIY Kit Support 6 types of filament, Desktop 3D printer
Offered by GIANTARM-EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, especially if you like tinkering...., 14 Jun. 2017
I'm an engineer and love tinkering with stuff, so having looked at various other 3D printers I opted for this one primarily due to price, but additionally for the fun and sense of achievement of having built it myself. I took my time with the build as I didn't want to have to take stuff apart if I missed something. Build took a week of working an hour or so each day after work. The instructions are good, and the videos are very informative. One thing that I wish I'd taken more note of in other reviews is with the washers. Every 3mm screw needs a washer under the head to spread the load, and there are plenty of washers in the pack. I did go back part-way through the build and add washers - it's not mentioned in the pdf build instructions, nor on the videos. I also bought a leather punch (from Wilko) to punch the 2mm holes in the toothed belts. Wiring was very straightforward, and I used the board diagram via the online link in the build manual. There are a couple of key things to do before starting.
Firstly, make sure that the Z axis is perfectly level. Measure each side from the base with a digital calliper and get each side identical before you power on.
Secondly, spend a lot of time getting the bed level. Mine is very slightly bowed up in the middle relative to the corners, and I was getting problems with a squashed first few layers. I solved this by adding a small Z offset. I initially had problems with bed adhesion and got quite frustrated. Tech Support, which I must say is extremely good, fast, and helpful, suggested blue painter's tape, but [impatiently] I opted for a weak PVA/water solution. Applied before each print, and left to dry with the bed set to 70 deg C for a while beforehand gives me perfect adhesion.

I started with a spare PC hooked up to the printer, but keen to tinker, I've now got it attached to Repetier-Server running on a Raspberry Pi. This worked straight away after following the instructions online, and was very simple to set up; so now I've got the printer in my workshop with a camera pointing at it, and controlling both with a PC from the comfort of the house.

I've played around a lot with the settings to get good prints. Still not entirely happy with overhangs, but that might be due to the cheap PLA I bought (the sample 3m PLA that came with the printer was fine with overhangs). I've tweaked Slic3r (using the Prusa Edition that comes with Repetier Host version 2.0.1) - the INI file that the instructions suggest you load set mine up with a nozzle size of 0.4 (Tech support confirmed it should be 0.3).

I have dramatically improved the print quality by cooling the print after the second layer and then dropping the extruder temperature from 200 to 180. I've got a portable fan heater set to cool now, but have ordered a PWM fan from Geeetech which I'll attach to the extruder assembly with a printed bracket I've designed.
I've also designed and printed a filament support that takes the filament from behind and over the top of the printer via a pulley which works well, with the filament being kept neatly on its spool.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the printer and would recommend it. The technical support should you need it is excellent, and delivery was really fast.

Smays Realtek RTL8152 based 10/100M Micro USB Ethernet Adapter compatible Android Raspberry Pi Zero, Asus T100taf, HP Stream 7, Google Nexus Player, Nexus 9 and Windows Tablets
Offered by Smays

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Raspberry Pi, 25 Jan. 2017
Works straight off on my Raspberry Pi. Bought a second one.

Genuine ROCK Royce Ultra Slim Hybrid Shockproof iPhone SE 5 5S Case Cover - Gunmetal Saffire
Offered by Maikai Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Jan. 2017
Arrived really quickly and very easy to fit. Haven't dropped my phone yet so can't attest to its effectiveness.

A Walk in the Woods
A Walk in the Woods
Dvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, if you've got no paint to watch dry., 7 Aug. 2016
This review is from: A Walk in the Woods (DVD)
After enjoying the book, I thought this film would be good - it isn't. It's not bad, but it's not good either. The dialogue is poor and the storyline poorer. It abruptly ends, I'm sure the book didn't, but I just couldn't summon the effort to check.

A Guide to British Bats
A Guide to British Bats

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent FSC guide., 7 Aug. 2016
This review is from: A Guide to British Bats (Poster)
Excellent and informative.

British Bat Calls: A Guide to Species Identification
British Bat Calls: A Guide to Species Identification
by Jon Russ

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reference book, 7 Aug. 2016
A very well written and informative book. An excellent reference to those of us that record bats.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3