Profile for R. B. Cavanagh > Reviews

R. B. Cavanagh "roryos"

Page: 1 | 2
BLU Win HD 5" 4G Dual SIM-Free Smartphone - Yellow
BLU Win HD 5" 4G Dual SIM-Free Smartphone - Yellow

4.0 out of 5 stars Not gonna win any awards but a pretty damn good phone for the price!, 1 Dec. 2015
Picked it up for £59.03 the other day because I thought it looks like a great deal for money. I've only had 1 day to play around with it, but so far I'm pretty pleased.

It's seems very responsive, the audio quality through the headphone jack is pretty good, the screen is vibrant and colourful and considering it's only 720p the pixel density is impressive, it's very crisp and clear.
The camera is pretty crap to be honest but it's a budget phone so you can't really complain (well you could, but you'd be a bit of a dork if you did). It's also a bit slow at updating although with this being my first Windows phone, I'm unsure if that's a common thing. The build quality isn't like high end but it still feels pretty damn good!

Strangely enough in America this phone even with cyber Monday goes for about $150. Can't quite understand why it's so much cheaper over here. Either way, it's a pretty good phone and I'm quite pleased with my purchase! Especially after my £220 Galaxy S3 Mini which I've had for 2 years and have factory reset multiple times, is slow as all hell.

Destiny (PS4)
Destiny (PS4)
Offered by passionFlix UK

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT! Gameplay and aesthetics!, 2 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Destiny (PS4) (Video Game)
Having heard mixed to great reviews about this game (and actually having a reasonable internet connection finally), I decided to pick this game up. I'm only level 12 on my warlock so far but from what I've played, I am loving this so far. It has a feeling that is much like a mix of Borderlands and RAGE, which that slight feeling (which is obviously being it's Bungie) of Halo, but at the same time mixes it's post apocalyptic feeling and sci-fi setting with an almost fantasy storyline. If I had one complaint it's that it does started to become a little repetitive with time, and I'm vaguely disappointed that you have to have to have Playstation Plus to be able to play the fireteam missions (although I don't have a problem with it being require for PvP.) but that's only a minor gripe.

Stargate SG-1 - Complete Season 1-10 plus The Ark of Truth/ Continuum (New Packaging) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Amanda Tapping

5.0 out of 5 stars Finished watching. Please SG-1, step through the gate again!, 2 Jun. 2015
I remember watching this as a kid and absolutely loving it so much, I eventually lost interest in it around about season 5 and never really watched any more after that. Looking back, I think that was a HUGE mistake. I loved pretty much every episode (with the exception of the reusing old footage episodes which become tiresome), even season 9 and 10, which many people shun.

If you're into sci-fi, this is a series I can recommend completely for you fix. I just hope that one day, SG-1 will yet again step through the gate.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PC DVD)
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PC DVD)
Offered by Soprano Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic challenge!, 2 Jun. 2015
Whilst I haven't progressed particularly far into the game so far, from what I've played I can tell you that this is a fantastic game! Whilst not as difficult as it's predecessors (especially Demon Souls), it still have an incredibly amount and challenge, but like it's predecessors it's difficulty is NOT unfair, as you have the capability right from the start to being able to defeat everything in this game, you simply have to master your skills and learn from you mistakes. There is nothing quite like struggling on a bos for a long time and finally defeating him, it given you an incredible sense of accomplishment!

As far as a PC port, I've had NO problems with anything at all, and this game actually runs better than a lot of other PC games I own. Which is stark contrast to Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, is a MASSIVE step forward. (see my review for that).

Mad Catz R.A.T.TE Mouse - Matte Black (PC DVD)
Mad Catz R.A.T.TE Mouse - Matte Black (PC DVD)
Offered by Maplin_Webdeals

2.0 out of 5 stars A great mouse, but yet MORE problems., 2 Jun. 2015
I would like to start by saying that I have been a fan of Mad Catz for a while, even when they used to sell incredibly cheap parts because they usually still have reasonable quality.

That being said, I have had NOTHING but problems with the R.A.T series of mice since I started using them. The last mouse I used in the R.A.T series was the R.A.T. 9 which belonged to someone else, and he suffered from an issue in which the mouse would just random decide it wanted to freeze then sudden start working again. I have also used a R.A.T. 7 wireless mouse personally at home which belonged to my dad, which suffered from an issue where the cursor would just wander down to the right, and nothing I did would stop it, so that was scrapped.

In a blind bit of faith my dad picked up a R.A.T. TE with hopes that it being wired it would possibly work better than the other one. Whilst he didn't like it due to it's ergonomics (a fair personal choice), I really enjoyed (like I have with all the other R.A.T mice) the feel of the mouse. However, yet AGAIN!! just today, the cursor began wandering. And yet again, it was down to the right.

I would have absolutely LOVED to have given this mouse a better review, as the design and feeling of the mouse and it's precision is absolutely incredible, but I just can't given the problems I've experienced with them. I'm currently using an incredibly cheap Logitech mouse that I've had for about 2 years, and it actually works better than this! My hope is that Mad Catz will eventually solve these issues and actually give us a mouse that will continue to work for at least a couple of years after purchase.

Anomaly Korea
Anomaly Korea

5.0 out of 5 stars A completely different take on the old tower defence, 12 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Anomaly Korea (App)
Having already played Anomaly Warzone Earth and Anomaly 2 on pc I decided to pick this up to see how it played on a touch screen, and to my great pleasure it so r me very well. So what is Anomaly Korea? Well imagine taking the classic tower defence game but instead of putting down the towers to defend against attacking units you're the we one doing the attacking. Set up your route through the towers and use different power ups to help you out. It's very enjoyable and for the price I couldn't recommend it more!

Sony PS3 12GB Super Slim Console (PS3)
Sony PS3 12GB Super Slim Console (PS3)
Offered by Arancia Eoutlet

4.0 out of 5 stars Not 100% sure what to make of it, but seems to work well enough, 22 Jun. 2013
The console is deffo worth the price if you want a smaller option to the fat or the regular slim PS3. For me it was a no brainer as I am travelling for a year soon and don't have enough space to fit my old fat PS3. It seems to run well enough, it doesn't get as hot as the fat PS3 and one of the big advantages of it is the ability to remove the disc even when the console is off not to mention that discs literally cannot get stuck in teh console like they could on the other 2 version. I have heard reports that it's very loud but I haven't really noticed anything like that, on start up it's quieter than my old fat PS3 and and starts to get a bit louder the longer I play. I'm not sure if this is to do with certain games but I've played Killzone 3 and The Last of Us now for about 2 hours each and I haven't noticed any super volume increase. For the price I would say go for it, it's incredibly cheap compared to the other versions even now. The loading tiems seem to be a low slower though, I think this is to do with the laser they used being cheaper.

There is however one (not exactly sure if it's big or not) urrrr "problem"? with the system. The block on the back where the power cable plugs in seems to be loose and can be jiggled around and I have no idea whether this is normal or not, I've heard reports saying it's not normal and others saying it is. It doesn't seem to drop the power or anything and doesn't cause any issues but just a warning if you do get it and have this problem you might want to monitor it carefully to see if it starts doing anything dodgy. In general if you keep it constantly plugged in it shouldn't cause a problem. The connection it's self seems very tight so the cable isn't going anywhere, possibly it's just a moulding flaw.

The Last Of Us (PS3)
The Last Of Us (PS3)
Offered by games.empire

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Speechless, 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Last Of Us (PS3) (Video Game)
Reading all of the obvious Sony plugging for this game on twitter/reddit etc, I was very dubious as to how this game would pan out. Many companies who's resorted to doing that before usually do it to try and get mroe sales for a game that they think it going to fail, and I was prepared to be disappointed. I can't tell you in words how wrong I was!

First of all let's talk about the main plot of the story (without any spoilers), basically it's your classic zombie "style" infection has spread all over the country (and possibly the world), and survivors are now living in walled off zones that are policed by what remains of the military. You play as Joel, a father who loses his daughter when the infection first starts to spread. In an attempt to get hold of a shipment of your guns that were sold off to someone else, you're forced to go on a journey across the ruined and scattered country with Ellie, a 14 year old girl who's the only known person to be completely immune to the infection.
What can I say about the storyline, at first it sounds fairly generic to other TV shows/movies/games, but this has to be one of the best stories I've ever had the pleasure to experiance and (in my opinion!) beats something like Bioshock Infinite hands down, no question. I can't remember another game where I cared so much about the characters.

I was expecting the gameplay to feel exactly like Uncharted, but surprisingly it's very different. You have to normal ranged and melee humans which you would expect to be fighting but the really interesting part is the infected. For example clickers are people who have been infected for years, they're blind but are very sensitive to sound, so much so that you have to walk slowly even when crouching, but other infected like runners can see you and can alert clickers just by making noise when attacking you making stealth your big option. I find it interesting how the infected can cause other infected to do different things. The controls are very smooth, I picked up how to do everything very fast and the aiming is excellent (I didn't have a problem and I usually can't aim at all with a controller). Other features are your standard weapon upgrades, physical upgrades and the ability to make your own bombs, med kits, shivs etc, but there is something about it that feels very natural in the world it's set in.
I should also mention that the game has a multiplayer mode, I have yet to try it but to be the story on it's own is enough to sell this game. Especially for how long it is.

I have to say that Naughty Dog have (yet again) done an excellent job of creating a game which you just don't want to stop playing. Highly recommended, and worth the launch price for sure.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2013 1:29 AM BST

Remember Me (PC DVD)
Remember Me (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars An engaging universe, with some issues., 9 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Remember Me (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
After I heard what the main theme of the game would be I was heavily intrigued. I decided to pre order it on PC with the hopes it would be a reasonable port. I can't speak for everyone here but I had no problems with the performance of the game with the exception of some stuttering during checkpoints. The graphics are fairly mediocre when close to models which is what you get more often than not with console ports but apart from that it seems to work fairly well. I should mention that I haven't played it with a mouse and keyboard only a controller so I can't speak for the control scheme.

Now, onto the actual game it's self. I must start out by saying that the world that Dontnod Entertainment have created here is just beautiful, it's pure cyberpunk science fiction at it's finest. The environments are colourful with fantastic sci-fi architecture, mixing the old with the new in this future glimpse of paris. The level design (which very linear) is interesting, placing you everywhere from beneath Neo-Paris in the sewers to the top of the highest building where the views will make your jaw drop. The main theme of the game is that a giant corperation knwn as M3MORIZE have created a device called the Sensen that allows memories to be shared, stored and in the case of the game... stolen. I was most assuredly not disappointed with this, even after hearing about this theme I thought it would have some interesting ideas behind it but the amount of creativity gone into it is astounding. The voice acting is a bit hit and miss sometimes, but it's reasonable and luckily you character doesn't have a bad voice actress.

The story is interesting enough and in my opinion is definatily up there with games such as Spec Op: The Line. It may confuse you sometimes but generally speaking you'll understand what's going on (it's not like the mind-blow that is Bioshock Infinite's story). I don't like to go into details about story because it's something you really have to experiance yourself.

Now, onto the gameplay. I won't go into too much detail about your all your abilties but generally speaking they are really the same mechanics you've seen before in other games, the abilities to open doors from a distance, tractor beam style ability that allows you to move door, switches etc. The biggest mechanic of this game is the ability to go into someones memory and remix it, altering what they remember in order to change a decision they would have made in the future, the way they present this mechanic is very interesting. You can fast forward or rewind the memory to find glitches that you can use to your advantage and alter to give a different outcome. Unfortunatily these scene are few and far between and are only part of certain sections of the game, which was a slight disappointment.

The combat system is more or less an Arkham Asylum/Arkham City style combat system, the combo system is fairly different though. Not to get into too much detail but you have different combos that can restore focus, give you health, reduce the cooldown time on abilities and double the effect of the previous combo. The problem is that because the combat system onto uses 2 buttons to attack the combo chains are preset so you can't just have an X or Y ability (I played it with a controller, like I have said previously) anywhere in the combo, you can only have an X ability where it lets you or a Y ability where it lets you, quite disappointing and you can only perform one combo at a time you can't string 2 combos into each other for a multiplier. Overall the combat is probably what lets it down, too simplistic and not enough veriety or freedom. I should also mention that this is half a platformer as well but thankfully it's not one of those platofmrers where it's impossible to die when jumping from ledge to ledge (such as in Enslaved: Odyssey to the West)

All in all I give this game a 4. The creativity that went into it is amazing, the world is beautiful and you should really experiance it for yourself as long as you can get past some generic puzzle-like mechanics and a fairly restricting combat system.

Resident Evil Revelations (PC DVD)
Resident Evil Revelations (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good game with some flaws, 2 Jun. 2013
I picked this up after hearing that it was far better than Resident Evil 6, I wanted to see if these claims were true. I was pleasently surprised to see that they were true, this game feels much more like a Resident Evil game than 6 did, closer combat, smaller areas to explore a lot less action orientated. Not much i can really go into apart from that as this is much like RE4 and 5 with some minor gameplay tweaks. The story is interesting (although it feels a bit too japanese compared to the other games recently), not fantastic and very predictable in places but still fairly satisfying.

I've heard many people say that the PC port isn't very good but from what I've played of it's pretty good, there are some stuttering issues which don't seem to be PC specific as I've heard the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions also have that problem. Mechanically it's fine with some mouse sensitivity issues here and there. The most common complaint I've heard from people however is that the graphics are very poor for a PC game. Even on console they're very poor, this is understandable as it was a port from the 3DS but I have to admit I was a little disappointed that they hadn't tried to vastly improve the texture quality and model detail (no doubt someone will figure out a way of modding the graphics eventually).

All in all, a good game with some issues here and there graphically and mechanically, but for the most part it works and is a surprisingly good port in my opinion. Definatily worth a look, especially with the low Amazon price for it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2013 11:26 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2