Profile for Mrs. Nicola Huxter > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Nicola Huxter

Mrs. Nicola Huxter (KENT, UK)

Daniel Isn't Talking
Daniel Isn't Talking
by Marti Leimbach

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 30 July 2007
This review is from: Daniel Isn't Talking (Paperback)
I read this book in 2 days. I have two sons with Asperger Syndrome and this book brought me to tears of joy and despair. I could fully understand what the characters were going through. I've read reviews that say this book over dramatises the position with obtaining support and assistance for special needs children, especially those with an autistic spectrum disorder. It is difficult - it is a never-ending battle. I fought for 6 years just to get a diagnosis for my eldest son and when I finally got it I was told that his condition was so classic I should have received the diagnosis years ago.
Marti Leimbach describes the difficulties faced by parents of all special needs children in a clear and concise way and highlights the fact that many parents would rather bankrupt themselves than wait for their local authority to finally provide the help and support needed. She also highlights the strain a diagnosis of an autistic spectrum disorder can have on family life.
I think everyone who has anything at all to do with a child (or an adult) with autism should read this book. Parents will receive some comfort and, hopefully, professionals will begin to understand how hard it is for the parents as well as the children.