Profile for rourkus > Reviews

Saturnalia
Saturnalia
Offered by Empor-online

3.0 out of 5 stars You just can't go on pretending, 11 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Saturnalia (Audio CD)
I'm afraid I'm not as enthused by the previous reviewers of this, The Wedding Presents last album.
Whilst this album is in no way money wasted, I think we're all in a dream world if this is considered TWP's finest hour, to me it's not close to any of the big 3, George Best, Bizarro and Seamonsters.
In parts the ablum sounds like 90's indie popsters Lush, the jangly guitars that are all over the album aren't the sound I like and the soft Gedge voice in 2,3,Go I find upsetting.
The highlights of the album; although still with female backing vocals, that give the tracks a "Primitives" feel are Montreal and Kansas and that I've no idea what Gedge is on about is still fun. Snake eyes takes us back to TWP of old, but only briefly.
I've recently compiled a best of TWP, I'm sad to say that none of the songs on this album have made the 11 I chose.

E Luxo So
E Luxo So

3.0 out of 5 stars With hours to spare, staring at the ceiling, 16 July 2004
This review is from: E Luxo So (Audio CD)
With hours to spare, staring at the ceilng, this album would probably have impressed me a little more. However I don't have that luxury.
E luxo so is like the anti boards of Canada, whilst being entirely instumental it appears to have no focus.
The album does litte to hold my concentration and in places reminds me of the more quirky Icelandic band "Mum".
I won't be purchasing any more labradford albums, but I won't be throwing this is in the bin either. Maybe one evening, when everyone and eveything is else where, I'll find time stare at the ceiling and loose my self. Chances are though I'll only see the dust on the light fittings.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2015 9:18 PM GMT

Soul Mining
Soul Mining
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars I hope this is the day, 3 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Soul Mining (Audio CD)
The fist time I think I ever felt I understood, or at least contenplated inner happiness was when I listened to this album on a bright, bright sunny day as a 15 year old. "you can't destroy your problems by destroying yourself". So I didn't. Soul Mining, whilst being and album of dangerous self doubt and questioning is wonderfully uplifting.
Soul Mining is a journey, a discovery of self. Matt Johnson through this album and the more globally aware Infected, shaped my world, who I am, where I am and how I got here. In the 15 years I've owned Soul Mining there have been some noteworthy contenders of direction and belief, particularly Portishead, but none have managed the mystical journey of self truth and more over self doubt that Johnson confronts us with in Soul mining
"How can anyone know me, when I don't even know myself" Johnson sings on the soul searching and challenging "Giant", a song that combines the mytstery of self discovery with the trerrace chanting and somewhat infectious "yeah, yeah, yeah". I'm nearly 30 and I still can't answer Giants most fundamental question. Johnson is a master of melancholy and it's something he has always aspired to, that someone could come up with such a lyrically competent album at such a young age is incredible, I belive Johnson was 17 when the thinking teenagers song of angst "Uncertain Smile" was written, a perfect ballad for formative teenage years of love and loss.
I enjoy the album differently now, reflection is a powerful tool and the lighter harmonies of Uncertain Smile and This is the Day
keep the reflection long enough to evoke memories of perhaps less comlicated times.