Profile for Rosamond Joy > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Paradise Court
Paradise Court

3.0 out of 5 stars A very unusual book..., 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Paradise Court (Kindle Edition)
Having finished this a couple of days ago, I am still pondering as to what my view of it is. I thought when I bought it that it would be a traditional detective story, but in fact it is not. The action takes place in both London and Paris and I would describe it as a thriller rather than a detective story, although it is not in the least like a modern thriller. It involves a hunt for a missing governess and has good pace, although the actual story is a bit far fetched. If you want to try something a bit different, I recommend this.

Murder at Rutherford Hall (Rachel Markham Mystery Series Book 1)
Murder at Rutherford Hall (Rachel Markham Mystery Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars 1946 and no mention of rationing...., 2 Jan. 2014
This is a good detective story but it is unbelievable that one is expected to believe it is 1946 - 2 years after the end of the war and no real reference to it. The relationship between the owners of the country house and the servants is too friendly and informal to be believable, well brought up women didn't proposition men they had only just met in the way the heroine does and people didn't use American phrases. Having said that, the plot is generally good, the story moves along at a good pace and the characters are well portrayed. Properly edited and with some rewriting to reflect the period, this would be a great book.

The Treasure at Poldarrow Point (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 3)
The Treasure at Poldarrow Point (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Reminiscent of "Five on a Treasure Island".., 1 Jan. 2014
I love this series - this one is the best so far. It reminded me of Enid Blyton's "Five on a Treasure Island". Angela Marchmont, star of the previous books, returns and is assisted by her young god-daughter who does much of the sleuthing. With villains galore,red herrings and secret passages leading from an old cliff top house to the beach, this is a good old fashioned read. The plot is unsophisticated but the book has a charm of its own.

A Conspiracy Of Violence: 1: Chaloner's First Exploit in Restoration London (Exploits of Thomas Chaloner)
by Susanna Gregory

4.0 out of 5 stars atmospheric but a bit convoluted, 10 Dec. 2013
I started this series inadvertently with the fifth book which was being sold off cheaply in my local bookshop. Having read that, I decided to start at the beginning of the series. The book is set in Restoration London and is highly original - being set in a period which does not feature heavily in fiction.The descriptions of London are brilliant and really convey the mood and the smells of the time. I found the story compelling, though the plot was a little convoluted and would have benefited from some better editing. Additionally, there are a lot of characters, not all of whom are particularly well defined or distinguishable. Despite this, the lead character Thomas Chaloner is well presented, as is the romantic interest. I shall certainly be reading the next one shortly.

The Murder at Sissingham Hall (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 1)
The Murder at Sissingham Hall (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars a real find...., 19 July 2013
This was a real period piece, murder in a country house with a limited number of suspects. Not a demanding read and with a reasonably guessable solution, but nevertheless one which is intensely enjoyable and evokes the world of the county house party. Having read it, I was disappointed to find that there appeared to be no other books by the same author available.

The Four of Us (Bello)
The Four of Us (Bello)

4.0 out of 5 stars an unexpected gem....., 14 July 2013
I bought this book knowing nothing about it because the title appealed to me as I had, like so many others, been part of a group of four. It was an unexpected pleasure to find it started in Petts Wood and Bickley near where I grew up. The lives of the four friends are charmingly told and the plot moves along at a decent pace, keeping you interested and guessing until the end.I would recommend it for holiday reading as it isn't a deep book but it is surprisingly memorable. I shall certainly look for others by this author.

Arran Aromatics Citrus Shores Conditioner 250ml
Arran Aromatics Citrus Shores Conditioner 250ml
Offered by Burton Blake Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Tried a similar product at Hotel du Vin and it was wonderful..., 28 Jun. 2013
Excellent product. I used a similar product when I stayed at Hotel du Vin and was keen to purchase it. It really works for my hair!

Before I Met You
Before I Met You

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 12 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Before I Met You (Kindle Edition)
I read this because I saw it advertised on the tube and was attracted by the setting in London. Actually it vastly exceeded my expectations. I liked the two parallel stories of step grandmother/granddaughter. It is well written and, though the story is not particularly original, there are sufficient twists in the plot to keep you gripped to the end. It would be particularly good for holiday reading.

Town & Country Medium Superior Leather Lined Gardening Gloves for Ladies
Town & Country Medium Superior Leather Lined Gardening Gloves for Ladies

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gloves, 7 April 2013
Very sturdy and excellent for work in the garden. I would recommend these as they provide superb protection for hands.

Mrs., Presumed Dead (Mrs Pargeter Book 2)
Mrs., Presumed Dead (Mrs Pargeter Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read though a rather fanciful plot..., 5 April 2013
I had tried the first Mrs Pargeter book and thought I would give the next one a go. The second is much better than the first, Mrs Pargeter develops a bit as a character and her late husband's business acquaintances add some colour to the book. The plot has a rather obvious flaw in it but this does not deter from its enjoyment.As ever, the writing is witty and lucid.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3