Profile for M. Nagel > Reviews

Content by M. Nagel

M. Nagel (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Mendelssohn: Elijah (Sung in English)
Mendelssohn: Elijah (Sung in English)

2.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful performance - but avoid the MP3 version., 1 Oct. 2015
I've had this Willard Wight recording of Elijah on cassette tape for many years. I originally bought it to 'update' from my Fruhbeck de Burgos version on vinyl and it proved to be a very good alternative. Now I've updated again - to MP3 so I can listen on my Walkman. For the performance I would have given 5 stars but...

What a disappointment! It's the same quality performance and technical recording but the editing of the MP3 files has ruined it. Every so often where two tracks need to be joined together seamlessly they have been joined very 'un-seamlessly' thus adding a noisy, jerky stutter to the performance. For example, right at the beginning, where the Overture reaches a glorious climax and the chorus starts to sing 'Help, Lord! there is a definite very audible hiccup where the two MP3 tracks have been joined. This happens again at several points during the rest of the performance. It reminds me of the bad old days when a vinyl record developed a click. You knew it was coming and there was nothing you could do to prevent it.

The other issue for me is that the wonderful opening few bars of the Overture sound very 'muddy' in this MP3 version. I don't remember that being so in the cassette version. I still have the tapes but nothing to play them on - so I can't check.

Presumably, these issues don't apply to the CD and I would still thoroughly recommend this performance - just don't buy the MP3 version.

25 x Double DVD Cases
25 x Double DVD Cases
Offered by Media Replication

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than I Expected, 2 May 2013
I ordered these cases with some trepidation having read the less favourable reviews. They arrived this morning, well packed in a sturdy cardboard box and undamaged. They are much better quality than some of the reviews led me to expect and I shall definitely be buying more. At £6.67 for twenty-five they are exceptionally good value.

Sealskinz Waterproof Thermal Cap - Black, X-Large
Sealskinz Waterproof Thermal Cap - Black, X-Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Winter!, 21 Nov. 2012
I have trouble finding hats large enough to fit me comfortably. This one is very comfortable and cosy. As we get deeper into winter I'm wearing it more and more and it keeps my ears and the back of my neck nice and warm.

Hoya 72mm Pro-1 Digital Circular Polarizing Filter
Hoya 72mm Pro-1 Digital Circular Polarizing Filter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 18 Aug. 2012
I bought this filter for use with a Canon EF-S 15-85mm lens. The filter mount is quite thin to reduce the chance of vignetting at the widest angle. This makes it slightly more fiddly to screw on and off but it's not a huge problem despite my large hands/fingers (I'm 6'1"). The Canon lens cap fits snuggly. I normally have a UV filter in place simply to protect the lens front element. I remove this before fitting the polariser. Optically, this filter performs very well as I would expect from a Hoya product.

SealSkinz Waterproof Cap Grey One Size
SealSkinz Waterproof Cap Grey One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 25 July 2012
Like 'Gibb' I have a large head and have difficulty finding hats and caps that will fit me without being oppressively and 'headachy' tight. I was a wee bit wary of ordering this one, especially when I saw it was 'one size fits all', but I read Gibb's review and decided to risk it. I'm so glad I did! This cap has lots of space and after I'd adjusted it to suit me I realised that there is still a bit more of the velcro strap left to let out if required.

I bought this because a) I need to wear a hat in direct sunshine, having previously had a brain tumour, and b) because I have a nice lightweight Berghaus jacket whose hood, unfortunately,has no peak or wired front so, when it rains, my glasses get a soaking. This cap fits neatly under the hood and provides a substantial peak.

Mine only arrived today but I've just worn it for about two hours in bright, warm sunshine and it's been nice and cool to wear. I chose the grey option thinking it would be better in hot conditions. It's quite a pale grey. The cap is very light and can be easily carried in a pocket or bag if required. I can't comment on the waterproofing as I've not tried it in the wet yet but I have previous experience of Sealskinz products and have no doubt that this one will perform well in heavy rain. I'm so pleased with it I may order a black one as well.

Shopping trolley pound token - Scottish St Andrews Cross design
Shopping trolley pound token - Scottish St Andrews Cross design
Offered by souvenirz-co-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Does What It Says, 13 July 2012
There's not too much you can say about shopping trolley tokens, really. However, I bought this to replace one I lost and realise there is a significant difference. The old one was perfectly smooth on the 'picture' side which made it quite difficult to get a grip on it to extract it from the trolley lock. This one has a slightly raised edge - just like a £1 coin - and is much easier to get hold of. It lives permanently on my key ring so I'm never stuck when visiting any store that uses locks on its trolleys.

WM Bartleet & Sons Coffee Filter Cone
WM Bartleet & Sons Coffee Filter Cone
Offered by WOWOOO

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Coffee Filter!, 3 May 2012
This item arrived this morning and I was enjoying my first large mug of coffee within ten minutes of the postman handing it over. It's large enough to make one normal sized cup of coffee with one 'pouring'. If, like me, you prefer a mug then it will need topping up after most of the first 'pouring' has dripped through. There are three holes in the base of the cone so it doesn't take too long to discharge into the mug. Of course it can be used with any brand of coffee unlike some machines that need special coffee bags, or whatever, which can be limiting. Being porcelain, it's dead easy to clean. If you wash it straight after use a good rinse under the hot tap should normally be sufficient. The porcelain is quite heavy duty and has a robust feel to it. However, I have just ordered a second one as a a backup in case of breakages (I'm partly paralysed and can be a bit 'butterfingery' sometimes), and also to speed things up if I have visitors (I live alone). I wouldn't have ordered a second one if I hadn't been delighted with this one. Highly recommended. Off now to make another mug - Mmmm!

Panasonic HT090E-H Lightweight Headphones - 5m Long Cord (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by OptixMania

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Sound!, 29 Feb. 2012
I bought these to use with TV because I am completely deaf in one ear and have reduced hearing in the other - the aftermath of a brain tumour. These are excellent headphones. With the volume control on the 'phones turned up and the TV volume kept down the sound is clear and there is no untoward background hiss. The 5m cable means I can keep the 'phones plugged into the TV and have them sitting on a table beside my usual chair when not in use. I have a large head and often have trouble finding things like hats etc to fit me but these fit comfortably on the second last adjustment click setting. Good product and good value.

2 Sets Of 8 Inkrite Photo Plus! Ink Cartridges For Epson Stylus Photo R800
2 Sets Of 8 Inkrite Photo Plus! Ink Cartridges For Epson Stylus Photo R800

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 1 Sept. 2007
I've been using Inkrite cartridges for about three years, first with an Epson Stylus Color 880 and, since December, with an Epson Stylus Photo R800.

I've never had a moments bother with them. Installation is always straightforward. I note the comments by a previous reviewer and can only assume that the problem lies with his printer.

The quality of the ink is excellent. The R800 came with Epson cartridges, obviously, and I can see no difference between early prints made with those cartridges and the later ones made with Inkrite inks. The colours are full and vibrant and consistent from cartridge to cartridge.

Philips HD2626/22 Gloss Finish Metal Toaster 2-Slice 1000w
Philips HD2626/22 Gloss Finish Metal Toaster 2-Slice 1000w

5.0 out of 5 stars Isn't it nice ..., 24 May 2007
... when things really work! I bought this toaster on the strength of Mrs Bone's review and all I can do is echo what she says. It produces the nicest toast I've ever tasted.