Profile for Elinor Russell > Reviews

Content by Elinor Russell

Elinor Russell

The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturnes (New Edition) (The Sandman series)
The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturnes (New Edition) (The Sandman series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Review on the kindle version., 20 Feb. 2015
The story is of course excellent - it's not my favourite of the series but still deserves the 5 stars.

This review is more on the kindle version, which I bought in addtion to my exsiting print copy. I sopped reading this on my paperwhite - although it will expand the panels for you I found it was still to small to make out clearly and not as enjoyable in black and white. I downloaded it to my iPad instead and found the colour and larger screen much more reader friendly.

So in short I would reccommend only buying the kindle version if you have a tablet to read it on (or plan to use a PC) rather than a paperwhite or kindle touch.

Kindle Paperwhite 3G (5th generation), 6" High Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 24 Sept. 2013
Perfect for reading from, adjustable text size and really light to carry around. 3G allows me to access the internet whilst travelling to download the next book or to use the browser.

50/50 [Blu-ray]
50/50 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, both funny and sad., 12 April 2012
This review is from: 50/50 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I loved this film, there are not many films that manage to make such a serious topic funny without lessening the emotional impact. This film made me both laugh and cry thanks to some fantastic writing and a wonderful cast. This is the sort of film that will be enjoyed across both gender and generational divides. (Although I think the humour may occasionally be a little crude for (for example) my Grandmother, you can probably judge the tone from the credits).

As far as the extras go, there are some great deleted scenes (sadly few in number) and a hilarious audio commentary, which actually rarely involves discussing the film. I bought the film on blu-ray double play but to be honest I'm not convinced this is a film that really needs it. All the extras are listed as available on the DVD edition and the filming and effects are understated (which works perfectly with the tone of the film) so I'm not convinced the HD adds much to it. Hmmm an excuse to watch again so I can judge by watching on the DVD :-).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2012 8:49 PM BST

Megatokyo: Volume 1: v. 1
Megatokyo: Volume 1: v. 1
by Rodney Caston

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 5 Sept. 2010
I loved this book. It's hilarious for anyone who has ever been involved in any anime/manga fandom or gaming. I (somehow) had never come across the webcomic before but this was a great introduction. Containing the early releases interspersed with Shirt Guy Dom sections and a running commentary from Piro on the early development I would recommend this to longterm fans and new converts alike.

Chainfire (Sword of Truth 9)
Chainfire (Sword of Truth 9)
by Terry Goodkind

2.0 out of 5 stars I hope the next one is better, 24 July 2006
At the risk of simply reiterating what others have said I have to agree that this book just isn't as good as the early ones. This started off as one of the best fantasy sagas out there then along came 'soul of the fire' which was bad fortunately it then picked up again briefly and now it's just got worse. It's a shame but there is nothing in this book that hasn't been done before and better in previous volumes. Get some new plotlines or finish the series.

Highlander: Season 5 - Series [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Highlander: Season 5 - Series [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as always, 13 Oct. 2005
Highlander the series is fantastic and season 5 is no exception. I must admit the end of it drove me nuts (how could they do that) I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it. However some of the best episodes yet are from this season I particularly loved 'Here comes a horseman'.
As always the DVD's are packed with extras showing deleted scenes, interviews. I particularly like the watchers chronicles which show 'Joe Dawson's' report from the events of that episode.

Highlander: Season 2 - Series [DVD] [1998] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Highlander: Season 2 - Series [DVD] [1998] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this series, 4 Oct. 2005
This is season 2 of 6 and Highlander is definately hitting its stride. It is fantastic to be able to watch all the episodes in sequence rather than in the strange order shown occasionally on TV. The extra's are great with background information on the characters, deleted scenes and commentery on some of the episodes. If you love highlander buy this now though be standing by with tissues for later in the series. If you have never seen Highlander the series you can start with series one, although the beauty of this series is that you could start here and still enjoy it.

Highlander: Season 6 - Series [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Highlander: Season 6 - Series [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

4.0 out of 5 stars A different end to an excellent series, 4 Oct. 2005
I love highlander the series. However I found this season a little different. Apart from being shorter than the other seasons, Adrian Paul took a back seat in this series not even appearing in some of the episodes and taking a very small role in a few of the others. This made for a rather bitty series as there was no common thread to the episodes. For this reason I have given it only four stars however the great thing about Highlander is that each episode is practically a stand alone feature. I will definately miss Highlander the series, the good news is that I can watch the old episodes again and agian.

The Forever Hero
The Forever Hero
by L. E. Modesitt jr

5.0 out of 5 stars The Forever Hero, 31 Mar. 2005
This review is from: The Forever Hero (Paperback)
I love this book, it is probably my favourite Modesitt has written. The story is about a 'Devilkid' picked up from a post apocalyptic world by humans who have come back to research Old Earth. The book charts his integration into the current society and his mission to restore Earth. The story is as always well crafted and the characters well rounded. A mixture of science fiction and epic adventure, this book bring in everything from starships to reforestation. My only quibble with this book (and all of Modesitt's) is his annoying tendancy to break up the narrative with essays however these are not so long as to be unforgivable. So all in all an excellent read.