Profile for P. Worthington > Reviews

God for Us: Rediscovering the Meaning of Lent and Easter
God for Us: Rediscovering the Meaning of Lent and Easter
by Greg Pennoyer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Journey of the Spirit!, 6 April 2014
'God for Us: Rediscovering the Meaning of Lent and Easter' is an excellent companion for the Journey of Lent
to Easter. It is of interest anytime of year but particularly in the run-up to Easter.

The book is brilliant from Ash Wednesday to Passion Sunday (the fifth Sunday of Lent) and I am looking forward
to the comments on the last two weeks of Lent and Easter Day.

There is a sense of the hope, faith and love of Easter permeating throughout the book and I expect it will finish
as well as it has begun. This book certainly makes Lent more meaningful and life-enhancing.

A great resource and well worth re-reading. Very much recommended. You're worth it!

Odette [DVD] [1950]
Odette [DVD] [1950]
Dvd ~ Anna Neagle

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Odette [DVD] [1950] (DVD)
'Odette' is the most moving of films.
It also seems incredibly real. You can imagine yourself there.
The cast are uniformly excellent.
The triumphs and tragedies of SOE Agents in the field are painted brilliantly.
The story goes into overdrive when Lise is taken prisoner.
As with the films 'Carve Her Name With Pride' and 'Now It Can Be Told' you are left
in no doubt that these women are the bravest of the brave and the men also.
Lise is steely in her fortitude, adept at spying and is an indomitable spiritual force even in Ravensbruck.
One of the most telling movies ever made about the war.

Now It Can Be Told [1944] - IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM Official Collection [DVD]
Now It Can Be Told [1944] - IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM Official Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ RAF Film Production Unit

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the Real Thing!, 31 Mar. 2014
'Now It Can Be Told' is something special.
It is really great to see real SOE Agents recreating their war time exploits.
There is so much skill, determination and heroism it is no surprise that their stories
have been the fuel for later films.
Their experiences were truly baptisms of fire.
Not to be missed!

Carve Her Name With Pride [1958] [DVD]
Carve Her Name With Pride [1958] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Virginia McKenna

5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite War Time Moving Movie!, 31 Mar. 2014
'Carve Her Name With Pride' is an accomplished film which has been up for awards.
Virginia McKenna is outstanding throughout. Paul Scofield is also excellent.
It touchingly tells the story of SOE Agent Violette Szabo with skill, excitement and growing tension.
Definitely one for the collection.

In Art: CHRISTmas
In Art: CHRISTmas
by Mrs. Catherine McGrew Jaime

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beauty of Paintings!, 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: In Art: CHRISTmas (Paperback)
'In Art: CHRISTmas', this is a very clever idea to get 40 great paintings from the Middle Ages and the Renaissance together on the topic of
Christmas.

The four sections are perfect with the angel's proclamation to Mary, Mary & Elizabeth, the Shepherds and the Wise Men.

The pictures are very beautiful and great for meditation on your own, and for discussion on these subjects if you look at them in a group.

At around £5 it is good value and an affordable resource.

To look at great art and think about the meaning of Christmas is inspiring any time of year. Highly recommended!

Meditations on Vatican Art
Meditations on Vatican Art
by Mark Haydu

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly beautiful!, 19 Mar. 2014
'Meditations on Vatican Art' is one of the most beautiful books I have ever bought.

The 28 meditations/ 4 weeks worth of guided reflections begins in the most enlightening and interesting of ways.
I think it will make the perfect study for Lent or any time of year.
Mark Haydu helps us to reflect on the great people and events of the christian faith and leads us on the most
wonderful meditations on the artworks he has selected from the Vatican Collections.
The book begins so well and promises to be one of my absolute favourites leading me to recommend it immediately as I think
it is perfect for the run-up to Easter.

Each meditation is so good it really is enough to reflect on for the day.
The book would make an excellent prize, award or memorable gift for anyone interested in Christian Art and spirituality.

A Story of Easter and All of Us
A Story of Easter and All of Us
by Roma Downey

5.0 out of 5 stars Drama & Passion!, 26 Feb. 2014
'A Story of Easter and All of Us' wonderfully captures the drama of Holy Week and Jesus' Passion through to his Resurrection and Ascension. The film stills that illustrate the story are well chosen and always inspiring. Even at the darkest moments Jesus manages to create confidence in others, in the Garden of Gethsemane healing Malchus' ear and on the cross inviting the beloved disciple John to look after his mother Mary and at many other crucial moments.

We can trust Jesus because his teaching and his life are one and the same. He really is 'the way, the truth and the life'.
I thought I knew the Easter Story too well to be surprised by this book but I was wrong - they have managed to make it as refreshing a balm as when I first heard it. This is an excellent reminder of the story to those who know it and a brilliant introduction to those who don't.

If God's Son can go through this we can have confidence he will save us if we trust in him to the final loving victory of God. Amen!

Seeing and Believing: Praying with paintings of the life, death and resurrection of Christ (Christopher Herbert)
by Christopher Herbert
Edition: DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Revealing, meditative & inspiring, 20 Feb. 2014
Finally I understand the Eucharist!

At least I can see much more clearly what it means after viewing Christopher Herbert's DVD 'Seeing & Believing' and hearing
his description and thoughtful prayer reflecting on Roger Van Der Weyden's painting, 'The Descent from the Cross'.

Christopher Herbert is a quite outstanding guide and he always has something interesting to say.

He is quite right that the DVD is worth viewing slowly and thoughtfully, particularly for personal meditation and study.

However if you are meeting in a group it can be hard to keep going for many meetings. You could watch/view two paintings at
a time or even more and get through the material in a handful of sessions.

This material is very good value for a DVD resource and I recommend it to anyone who likes Christian Art of Medieval and
Renaissance times or wants to learn about it. All the talks are included in the handy booklet that comes with the DVD.

Great inspirations & viewing!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2015 1:17 PM GMT

Signs and Seasons: A Guide for Your Christian Journey
Signs and Seasons: A Guide for Your Christian Journey
by Graham Kings

5.0 out of 5 stars Glory of God in Art and the Church Year, 18 Feb. 2014
An exceedingly good book!

I enjoyed 'Signs and Seasons' by Graham Kings very much indeed. It was just what I was looking for.
For some time I have been searching for a book that explained both a reasoned and sensitive view together with the main ideas
of the Christian faith in an accessible way. I wanted a book I could give to family and friends and people wanting to know
more about the Church.

I also wanted a book that was engaging, interesting and well written. This book is admirably fit for purpose.

There is one viewpoint I disagree with but the author explains his position well and the one I favour is also discussed.
I favour a 'cosmic promise of salvation' and I like Graham Kings' definition of it on pages 26 & 27.

The book has 8 chapters and looks at the meaning of Advent, Christmas, Epiphany, Lent, Good Friday, Easter,
Pentecost and Trinity. These periods of the Church Year are really well explained and are surely essential keys to
understanding the Church and its life. Each chapter also looks at an artwork that illustrates the theme of the season.
I found this very interesting and inspiring. The book is rich in the author's own creativity with meaningful, moving and
delightful poems.

Tom Wright has written an excellent foreword and says the author, 'is an encouraging and entertaining guide'. Absolutely!

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
by Reza Aslan

5.0 out of 5 stars Chess Grandmaster!, 9 Feb. 2014
As with any good chess match you cover a lot of the board and should expect the odd check, piece lost and having yourself outsmarted! Reza Aslan knows many tricky theological and historical moves and can put you through your paces.
Anyone who is familar with Christian writers such as Tom Wright (or better aka N.T. Wright), Ben Witherington III or similar authors should be equipped to follow Aslan's analysis and not be dismayed by it. Of course in truth the subject matter of the book is an answer to the riddle of Jesus' identity and his understanding of it. Was he King? Or Zealot? Or something else?

I found the book engrossing and a wonderful distraction to a pulled muscle. The book very much helped me to focus my mind.

At the end of my reading of the book I was floundering for a suitable riposte. I went to my desk where a book of Psalms was left open to Psalm 23. I wondered if I might find success in a nearby Psalm. Of course I looked at Psalm 22.
I realized that here was proof positive that Jesus' sacrifice was foreordained. Here was the greatest bible study pointed to by Jesus' cry from the cross in Aramaic, 'Eloi, Eloi lama sabachthani!' (My God, My God, Why hast thou forsaken me!) Agreed by most scholars as incontestably words of Aramaic originating with Jesus and the opening of Psalm 22. Here was the answer to the riddle with more questions, Is Jesus the Greatest Teacher? The Greater Isaac? God's own Son?

Surely only God can decide when the last move is made and we reach checkmate in all our researches and in all our lives,

Reza Aslan's book, 'Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth' in the meantime will check the strength of your present understanding of Jesus and point to areas for further research. Your move! Good luck!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12