Profile for Lunareef > Reviews

River Cottage Every Day
River Cottage Every Day
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars Outcome = 100%, 28 April 2013
I often find that when following recipes it never quite meets expectation, always blaming it on the fact I cooked it and food always tasts better when someone else prepares it. Hugh's book has been the most used cook book on my shelf, I had to pack a charity bag for the other less/never used books. I am the only vegetarian in my household and as the main cook I always want to ensure that veggie meals are tasty for us all.
Hughs soup's have been a comfort throughout the winter, homemade pot noodles are still my favourite for quick work recipes, his bread dough recipes works a treat every time and we always make our own pizza bases without fail. The dough goes a long way. The caponata recipes is lovely. These are the recipes off the top of my head but I love this book as it is wholesome, hearty, rustic cooking, right up my street and most likely to have the ingredients in my cupboard which make it so much easier when looking for spontaneous inspiration for a dinner idea.
I used to be the veggie that would hate being near meat or anyone eating meat so Hugh took a while to grow on me as his meat prepatations appeared quite brutal at face value however over time I have grown to love what he stands for so when he decided to do the everyday veg series I knew I would love it.
I have a family I want them to make their own decision in the future about whether or not they want to eat meat. So I do prepare meat for them a few times a week, what a turn around, and thanks to inspiration from Hugh's programmes I know the best meats to source and the importance of the ethics surrounding the life and death of the animal providing the meat...But I am still veggie so this book is for me and I love it, I am so pleased he wrote this book.

How Things Work (See Inside) (Usborne See Inside)
How Things Work (See Inside) (Usborne See Inside)
by Conrad Mason

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of snippets of info crammed in this book, 28 April 2013
My boys really love this book. Not only are there lots of flaps to lift but the content is very interesting. From cogs, levers and pulleys, car engines, musical instruments to zips, toilet cisterns, fire hydrants and helicopters, there is a lot to discuss. There is enough information given in the book to help explain each function...in fact I learnt a few things myself. The Usborne lift the flap books do go down well in our house generally though as they are so interactive.

Fireman Sam - the Big Freeze [DVD]
Fireman Sam - the Big Freeze [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fireman Sam
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Old skool, 28 April 2013
Can't beat a bit of old skool fireman Sam, not the weird modern version shown on t.v these days. I think my children prefer this version too, it's much more realistic.

Cook Yourself Thin Quick and Easy: Shift the bulge and still indulge with over 100 new recipes
by Tiger Aspect

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 28 April 2013
Its in the charity shop. The recipes use stuff thats not in my cupboard and I have most herbs and spices. In my opinion quick and easy recipes are only that when it uses common place herbs and spices not ones that have to be hunted down. They recipes didn't attract my attention at all so I guess overall I just didn't get on with this book.
I did like the fact it listed calories but that was about it, there are far better looking and tastier sounding recipes book out there.

Food Detective Kit (UK DELIVERIES ONLY)
Food Detective Kit (UK DELIVERIES ONLY)

1.0 out of 5 stars Load of tosh, 28 April 2013
Rip off, don't buy it. If you want allergy/intolerance testing the only way is blood tests/food diary then a process of elimination and re-introduction using a notebook. Yes it's a pain but better than sacrifice a food you think you are intolerant to for no reason other than the test said you were 'sensitive'.
The test indicated a few sensitivities one of which was bread. Of course it is eaten every day so yes probably over indulged a bit too much. Having stopped eating it, became less bloated, reintroduced it, no effect. I think the test really only picks up on the food that has most recently been eaten, or the food that has been eaten in the most quantities and that is a very expensive 65 quid.

You Can Cook Indian Takeaway
You Can Cook Indian Takeaway

5.0 out of 5 stars Best currys so far, 28 April 2013
I have to say I do struggle to make that perfect curry...I don't know why...I think most people do though. This book has taken me the closest I have ever been to that perfect homemade proper curry. I have made a few errors when doubling portions as I also doubled the spices so it did not work so well, its a curry so was still edible.
My two children loved the chicken tikka masala, which is nice to make from scratch knowing what's in it. Cheap as anything on the kindle well worth a meare 83p.

A Green Guide to Natural Beauty
A Green Guide to Natural Beauty
by Karen Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 27 April 2013
This is the best book I have found for simple homemade body and face product recipes. As a newbie this book has converted me to the simple, natural and effective products that can be made at home in no time at all. I have to say I prefer the oil cleansers and face oils. The body bars are great too. They last for ages and they work as effectively, if not more effectively than expensive shop bought ones. I have made gifts for others and they have all been surprised that I actually made them. The initial outlay is expensive when buying the ingredients but certainly less expensive in the long run with the added advantage that you know exactly what is in it. I highly recommend this book as I have found others in the library that are over loaded with non essential information and unclear recipes. I like the advice in each recipe towards what to add or take away depending on skin type. You can adapt essential oils to suit skin type, scent preference or omit it altogether. I hope there is 'a green guide to natural beauty 2' in the pipeline.

TOMY Screwball Scramble Game
TOMY Screwball Scramble Game

2.0 out of 5 stars Under par, 27 April 2013
This review is from: TOMY Screwball Scramble Game (Toy)
This screwball scramble set aint what it used to be. In days of old the ball would actually go over the tilting walkway without the need to tilt the whole game to assist it and at the final hurdle the ball would stay in the arm throughout the catapult to assist in accurate bell ringing signalling the end...The technical failures of this cheap model has mostly taught frustration and cheating.
Where has the quality in childrens toys gone? I am increasingly frustrated in spending my hard earned wages on cheap, useless, fragile kids toys. Its on a shelf unplayed with for months now...will probably end up in a charity shop where the selling price would be more accurate for this cheap model.

Melissa & Doug 10443 Under The Sea Floor Puzzle (100-Piece)
Melissa & Doug 10443 Under The Sea Floor Puzzle (100-Piece)

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-ignited jigsaw fans, 27 April 2013
The product arrived, I thought it would be wooden (I guess as most Melissa and Doug products are), silly really as it is 100 pieces. The pieces are fairly large, my 3 year old is fine with it. It is a lovely puzzle the children enjoy putting together and has re-ignited their enthusiasm for jigsaw puzzles. It comes with a small poster naming all the creatures in the picture, which my two boys liked as lots of strange names, they also quizzed me on why all the weird looking fish with no eyes were at the bottom of the sea and why the reef was only near the surface of the water so overall a very educational jigsaw puzzle.

Sticker Collection - Alphabet & Numbers
Sticker Collection - Alphabet & Numbers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for craft, 27 April 2013
Lots of stickers I doubt a child will get through them all very quickly. They are in our craft box and the children use them a lot but there are still plenty left.

Page: 1 | 2