Profile for Mrs W > Reviews

Mrs W

Lyclear Shampoo and Comb - 200 ml
Lyclear Shampoo and Comb - 200 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin..., 30 Jan. 2016
Great stuff, easy to use and worked perfectly. I applied it to my daughter's dry hair as instructed, and within minutes was finding dead lice. I left it on a bit longer than the prescribed 10 minutes as I was wet-combing my son's hair to check for lice (he didn't have any, so I think we caught them early on my daughter), but I don't think this made any difference. I lathered and rinsed her hair, then added conditioner to make it easier to wet comb. The comb included with the shampoo worked well. I also washed her bedding at 60 deg C, and did some extra wet combing in between the 2 treatments (which wasn't in the instructions), but other than a few possible eggs on day 2 I never found anything else. Very pleased, would use Lyclear again.

Sambucol Flavour Free 120ml Original Black Elderberry Extract
Sambucol Flavour Free 120ml Original Black Elderberry Extract

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stuff, 7 Jan. 2016
My children and I have taken this for the last 2 winters and had a lot less colds etc than in any winter previously, even though both children are now at school and exposed to all the bugs going round. I take 10ml a day, they have 5ml a day - I haven't found any need for the higher winter dose recommended on the packet. It's easy to take as it tastes nice. It's not cheap, but worth it - the price does vary so I recommend keeping an eye on it and stocking up when it's lower!

The Baby-led Weaning Cookbook: Over 130 delicious recipes for the whole family to enjoy
by Gill Rapley

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy recipes for both beginners and experienced cooks, 25 Dec. 2010
I first got this book from the library as I wasn't sure how relevant it would be to me. My little girl is 17 months and has been BLW from day 1, I'd consider myself a fairly competent cook and had no real problem adapting our usual meals to suit her. What I really wanted though, was some recipes for healthy snacks which aren't full of sugar (my main objection to the Jennie Maizels book), and this book, with the recipes for muffins and apple, oat, and carrot cakes, has not disappointed.

There are also plenty of recipes for nice simple meals which I will probably make use of (always useful to have some ideas for easy weeknight dinners) and I like the fact that the portion sizes are for 2 adults and a baby. I think many of the recipes would also be quite easy to follow even if you're not used to doing much cooking, and the basic methods such as sauces would be very handy.

I think if you are looking for a week by week meal planner as another reviewer said, you need to reconsider your approach to weaning, as the whole point (and a major benefit) of BLW is that it's all about going at YOUR baby's pace. Some will be eating confidently at 7 months, others not till 10 months or later - both are perfectly normal and healthy, and if you try to fit into a one size fits all regime you just set yourself up for frustration and worry. Just relax, enjoy your own food, and let your baby have a go at it too - if they find it too tricky then make sure they still have some easier options for a while. The whole point is for them to learn, experience and enjoy, and in my opinion there are some ideal recipes for that in this book.