Profile for Richard Linnell > Reviews

Content by Richard Linnell

Richard Linnell "Corporate Huer" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
David Brent: Life on the Road
David Brent: Life on the Road
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars I Hate it, because when I try to rent it ..., 6 Jan. 2017
I Hate it, because when I try to rent it on the 99p special offer it screws up. I have no idea what the film is like, as I haven't seen it, but the experience so far has been sh......

The Grand Tour Season 1
The Grand Tour Season 1
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars The show is great. Amazon are becoming really annoying., 6 Jan. 2017
I really like this show, I just want to annoy Amazon for messing me around so much with their promotional codes. And whilst I'm at it, why when I pay for Prime am I now going to have to pay for all the new services you are adding. Meh, and I thought Apple were a bunch of money grabbing ....

Apple Keyboard (MB110B/B)
Apple Keyboard (MB110B/B)

5.0 out of 5 stars This keyboard has a great build quality and feel, 6 Oct. 2016
This keyboard has a great build quality and feel. I bought it as I couldn't get on with the wireless keyboard that came with my iMac (what, no number pad!), and I can say it was well worth the premium price. Looks great with the iMac too.

Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse/Bluetooth Mouse for Windows and Mac - Black
Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse/Bluetooth Mouse for Windows and Mac - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work with Apple OSX, 6 Oct. 2016
One star says, when I hover over it, "I Hate It". That's a bit strong, I don't hate it at all. All in all it's a great mouse, fantastic functionality, build, feel. The scroll wheel is a thing of beauty. So why 1 star? Well, it simply doesn't play nicely with my iMac.

The device says it's compatible with Apple Macs, and it pairs, and you can download specific software for Mac OSX from logitech's website, and it all works fine. And then you finish working and walk away from the iMac. Whilst your away the iMac puts itself into sleep mode, and when you wake it up, the mouse doesn't work. The pointer is still there, and OSX thinks all is fine, but the mouse doesn't work.

A quick search on the Logitech website reveals that Logitech is aware of the issue and is working on a fix, but that post has been on their site since March 2015, so, err, where is the fix! They recommend that you just turn off bluetooth and turn it back on again. Hello! the mouse doesn't work! How am I supposed to do that! When I emailed them to ask this they replied that I could just connect the mouse to the iMac with the charging cable. So it seems that they don't even understand how their own products work: it can't connect that way, it's a bluetooth mouse you muppets!!

The only way is to plug in a USB mouse and cycle the Bluetooth. Which works 9/10 times, and if it fails, you need to re-pair the device. This, for me anyway, was not enough, so it now lives in a draw. £70 wasted.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2016 4:06 PM GMT

Oppo - HA-2
Oppo - HA-2
Offered by Peter Tyson Online

4.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't work with Bose QC15s, but other than that good., 24 April 2016
This review is from: Oppo - HA-2 (Electronics)
I know they are frowned upon by audiophiles, but I like my Bose QC15s: They're comfortable and I like the sound. So yes, I might be persona non-grata in true muso circles, but I didn't expect it to go so far that high end amplifiers would boycott them too!

I thought the first time I bought this device that it was broken when nothing came out of the headphones, and I ended up sending it back. When the second one arrived, same again, nothing. Nothing could be found on their troubleshooting site, so I thought, let's hook it up to the PC and try it that way, again, nothing.

I tried plugging the headphones into the line out, and there was sound, it was awful, but there was sound. In a last ditch attempt before sending the second one back I thought I'd plug some different monitors to see if there was anything. So I plugged in my wife's cheapo gym Sennheisers and voila! sound. It sounds really good too, excellent range and no drop in quality when the music gets busy like there is with the iPhone.

I haven't experimented with flac files yet, I need to find a set of decent headphones that actually work with the device, I've got some Shure in-ear monitors somewhere, I'll give them a spin and add to the review.

Evergreen Lawn Soil 25 Litre
Evergreen Lawn Soil 25 Litre

2.0 out of 5 stars Not to be used as a lawn top dressing., 21 April 2015
This review is from: Evergreen Lawn Soil 25 Litre
Although the packaging might state "Ideal as a lawn dressing", this product isn't, not unless you have one of the following :
> A very low standard of what is acceptable as a lawn soil,
> A 5mm garden sieve (griddle) and a lot of spare time.

I bought a considerable amount of this product to top dress my lawn and ended up having to filter the lot. Circa, 40 bags. I threw away approximately 20% of it. It is full of stones, clay, sticks and organic debris, plastic, and, unacceptably for a product to be used on the surface of a lawn, there was some glass shards.

I have included a photograph of a selection of items sieved out of the product, including one of the glass shards. The £1 coin I added purely for scale.

Crocs Baya, Unisex-Adults' Flip Flops - Blue (Navy), 8 UK Men/9 UK Women (42-43 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm using them as slippers., 12 July 2014
These are mega comfortable.

Joseph Bentley Wooden Garden Riddle
Joseph Bentley Wooden Garden Riddle

4.0 out of 5 stars Useless as a winter fashion garment., 12 July 2014
This product is great at being a riddle, but completely useless as a scarf. If you are looking for a device for removing stones from soil, then this is for you, however, if you are looking for something to keep your neck warm in the winter I suggest you try something else.

Topwell® Universal QI Wireless Charging Receiver film for micro-USB of All Android Mobile Narrow-Interface Down (Port B)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much use for an HTC one M8, 12 July 2014
I bought this for my HTC one M8.

In short these devices are not really films, they are thicker than that. They don't curve well to the M8's curved back. When I put my dot matrix cover over it it kept popping off at the corners because of the lack of flexibility.

When I put the device on the charger overnight (an Expower Qi wireless charger), it got so hot that I worried I had damaged my phone. I have since decided not to bother and stock to the usb charging.

3 stars because it probably works fine on a flat phone with another charger.

Expower(R) Qi Wireless mini Phone Charger for Samsung S6 / S6 Edge, Google Nexus 6 and Nexus 5 and Google Nexus 7 II FHD Tablet and Google Nexus 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note4 Note3 and S5 S4 S3 and other QI Device (Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars Too hot to handle., 12 July 2014
I bought this charger, along with the Topwell universal charger film to make my HTC one m8 wireless chargeable.

All works, the phone charges relatively quickly, the little green light flashes to show you that it's charging, all good.

So why the one star review?

Well, the answer is simple, heat.

I put my phone by my bed to charge overnight and during the night woke up to the smell of hot plastic. When I picked up my phone it was very warm, almost too hot to hold. My feeling is that if you leave a phone on this charger for any length of time you are in danger of overheating the battery and potentially starting a fire.

I have decided to go back to the standard usb charger.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3