Profile for The Dunelmian > Reviews

Content by The Dunelmian

The Dunelmian "The Dunelmian" (Surrey)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Dew Sterling Silver and Lavender Zirconia Flower Stud Earrings 3026LZ
Dew Sterling Silver and Lavender Zirconia Flower Stud Earrings 3026LZ

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Pretty and Well Made, 15 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
They are quite dainty, but not tiny. Really well made and my wife says they are very comfortable to wear. They haven't skimped on the silver content which is reassuring, and so far no nasty reactions from the posts. It looks like the settings have been properly finished.

Colour is definitely a pinky purply lavender, but the sparkle is fab-u-lous! They really catch the light well, and of course look stunning under halogens, but sunlight and candlelight equally well show them off. You could buy them with confidence for kids and adults alike as the design is pretty without being twee.

Now we've tried this set, we'll be checking out others in the range.

WD My Cloud EX2100, 8 TB (2 x 4 TB) 2-Bay Pre-configured 8 TB NAS with WD Red drives

5.0 out of 5 stars Personal cloud = peace of mind, 27 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With photos, videos, emails and essential documents increasingly data-hungry, I have been worrying about how my old click-free backup would cope. Also, I am quite concerned about how often the news has stories about big name cloud storage being hacked.

We use a number of WD (Western Digital) external hard drives at the office, and I have always found them incredibly easy to use and reliable. When this came up on the vine, I thought I'd give it a go.

The set up is actually not too difficult using a home router and an ipad or tablet. Once the WD is plugged into power and the router, launch the web browser on the tablet and it picks up the WD. The first part of the set up is creating users - really easy and they all get an email so they can set up their own password.

From the relevant app store you download one app for photos and videos, and another app for complete myCloud access. Both are easy to install and set up.

Within about 15 mins we had three of us all set up and had saved photos and videos to the WD, with each of us able to access them all from our phone or tablet.

Remote desktop or laptop (including mac's) is handled with a download from the WD web site which can easily be accessed and has helpful guides for everything from initial set up to more complex tasks.

As yet I haven't got into the more sophisticated file transfers and back ups but it says you can even back up your entire pc to the WD.

This series 2100 has twin disks which give 1.9Tb of storage - loads of capacity for the average home pc and a family's worth of photos from phones and tablets.

Probably this will come into its own when we're out and about or when my daughter starts at uni and needs to access all of her resources, documents etc from wherever she is working. From what I can see this could save an awful lot of frantic phone calls, emails and general stress.

I think it will be necessary to take more time over the tutorials on the high end functions, and yes it is a considered purchase, but I'd happily recommend it for a small business and may well invest in one for my own.

If you don't have any other external back up for your photos or your pc, and you like the flexibility which a personal cloud may offer, then this is almost certainly worth the peace of mind.

Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (White)
Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (White)
Offered by ASK

4.0 out of 5 stars Fiddly initial set up but worth the effort., 26 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As other reviewers have commented, the instructions are not the clearest, and so the set-up can be fiddly. (I had to - finally- upgrade my router as the All8 only works with WPA2 security protocols - not WEP or WPA).

My home set-up was with a windows 8 pc and an ipad. By using the ipad and following the warnings in other reviews to watch for the pop-up on the tablet, I actually found it quite easy to connect the speaker to my home wifi network.

The app that runs the speaker is quite easy to find on the app store, and it has some usual "help" pop up screens which you can leave on or switch off once you have the hang of it. The advanced help also launches the web site and that was actually much easier to follow (if you can, have a look before you start set up).

Then the fiddly bit started. I don't keep all my music on an ipad or ipod. It is all on my pc. To check the speaker was working, I used one of the free tracks that Apple had dumped on my last ios upgrade, and realised the volume setting had begun at zero.

There are manual volume buttons on the speaker (touch sensitive), and there is a volume slider on the app. I'm not convinced the bass and treble controls on the app are that great.

Once I shared my pc across the network, the app on the tablet too a while to find all my music, but it was worth the wait.

Get the fiddly set up out of the way, and the speaker jumps to life in a b-i-g way. Clarity of sound is stunning (I bet it compares well to top end brands). It can pump ourt 80 watts of sound (not that I have tried that), and you can set up a queue of your music in the app to play for say a party or just a relaxing afternoon.

There is a radio app which I haven't put through much stress testing yet, but it looks comprehensive.

Clearly this unit will come into its own if you have a streaming service, and there is a free trial of one in the box.

You can link multiple controllers/sources to the speaker, and multiple speakers to each controller. All run over the wifi network. It therefore has a very flexible interface and usage. My only gripe is the lack of a "search" function in the app - you have to scroll through the music on each source.

Braun Silk Epil 9 9-549 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 4 Extra Attachments
Braun Silk Epil 9 9-549 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 4 Extra Attachments

4.0 out of 5 stars Latest Generation is Evolution to Finesse, 13 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the third epilator my wife has had, having been an early convert from the traditional alternatives.

The first one was an agonising instrument of torture, and this latest generation is a massive improvement. Epilation is always going to cause some discomfort just by the nature of what it entails. However for some reason this Braun makes it less painful and smoother in use. The plucked chicken look is much reduced as is the redness and discomfort. Being cordless and usable in the shower makes a refreshing change but not necessarily one that reduces the discomfort.

The unit itself is comfy to hold and easy to direct against your skin. It kind of massages the skin as you move along and the "tweezers" clear most in their path. Of course this being rechargeable it is easy to twist and turn to reach those out of the way areas - unlike the old mains unit which often was a two person job. Like most epilators it is easy to clean and my wife keeps a little bottle of surgical spirit to swab around the tweezer ends. Most bathrooms now have a shaver point so of course this unit can be recharged from there.

The inclusion of the facial brush is a puzzle. I don't know whether they thought it may be worth trying it on your legs! It is definitely designed for the face, and I suppose it makes the overall package a more attractive and acceptable beauty gift than an epilator alone if bought by a man.

Power Bank, GMYLE® 2500mAh Ultra-Thin Wallet Sized Portable USB External Battery Charger w/ Built-in Lightning & Micro USB Cable for USB-Charged Devices (White)
Offered by Clever Gadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for iPhone, 5 April 2015
Definitely worth the money. It isn't as slim as a credit card but is slimline. Excellent results in that it quickly took my iPhone from 20% to 85%. He little lightning adapter works well and so far hasn't been rejected by my Apple kit (unlike a similar power bank my daughter uses).

Charging takes one or two hours, and it seems to hold a charge for some time- we've used it a couple of weeks after charging and it boosted the phone battery without problems.

Ultrasport Kids Street Surfer Waveboard Pro - Red
Ultrasport Kids Street Surfer Waveboard Pro - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick to start, tough to master, 5 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Getting started was quick and relatively easy. It is very different to a traditional skateboard, so getting balanced takes some practice.

It helped to get up using a fance or wall and then pushing off gives the momentum to keep moving.

The construction is really solid, it doesn't twist and flex as much as some of the 2 wheel boards.

Frustratingly there are no instructions at all in the box, and online videos are not specific to this one. They tend to be for the type that flex more. The most satisfying runs were on smooth surfaces - pavements were quite difficult as was uneven concrete.

Having said all that it is great fund and once you get used to the "wobble" that keeps it moving you can pick up speed and navigate around corners and obstacles. It does take some physical effort and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with weak ankles!

Scholl Active Sports Gel Insoles for Men
Scholl Active Sports Gel Insoles for Men

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the investment for happy feet, 25 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been suffering from painful heels for a few months, and tried a high street chemist's version of these which, although half the price, were of little use.

The contrast with the Scholl version is marked. Here we have extra gel support for the heels, fairly strong curved arch support and heel support (the latter being the cup effect which holds your heel in place and stops it sliding and rubbing - kind of like the base of Birkenstocks).

The insoles are easily cut to size and shape. I found I actually needed to go slightly larger than the guidelines on the insoles, but that may have just been the type of shoe I was fitting them to. They aren't so thick that you have trouble getting your foot into the shoe.

Walking around now I feel my foot is better supported and the inward roll which causes tendon problems is being prevented by the shell/structure of the insoles.

They aren't springy exactly (so not like wearing a trainer shoe) but they have enough bounce that impact injuries will hopefully be more easily avoided.

I also like the fact that the base of the insole is the type of gel which although not sticky as such, somehow adheres to the shoe and holds its position really well while you're walking. The cheaper version I tried had a tendency to shift slightly which caused discomfort.

I'll happily repurchase these for my other shoes now that I really do appreciate how important an investment they are.

Belkin True Clear InvisiGlass Overlay Real Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 6
Belkin True Clear InvisiGlass Overlay Real Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 6
Offered by BESTBUYIT

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite perfect, 20 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The ease of application is exceptional. I really thought that a glass screen protector would be a nightmare, but Belkin seem to have this sorted.

Clarity is also superb, and there is noticeable disturbance in touchscreen performance.

My only niggle is that there is a good couple of mm gap all around the edge of the screen.

I guess there must be a reason for this, but I can't help feeling that my phone is a little more at risk than if the protector had gone right up to the edge. For that reason I have deducted one star.

Vax Dual Power Max Carpet Cleaner
Vax Dual Power Max Carpet Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine with pro results, but quite heavy, 12 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have had this one's baby brother and for some years now it has been a godsend. Whether it has been muddy feet, wine and food spills, pet problems or just routine household dirt and grime, the results from Vax machine and Vax cleaning liquids are superb.

The downside to the smaller machines is they lack serious suction and the tanks are smaller, so we thought this bigger machine would be good to try.

I have to be honest and say it is quite heavy. That could be an issue for many people. On all of this style of carpet cleaner the suction area and the brushes will pick up loose fluff, pet dander etc that won't reach the filters on the water tanks. Cleaning them is tricky but a large paper clip or wire coat hanger bent to suitable shape can easily drag the accumulated bits out of the plastic front end.

For those reasons I knock off one star.

In use the machine is not too noisy, is really easy to use and surprisingly manoeuvrable and like our older little vax the results are stunning.

I am really pleased with how much muck we can get out, and how the double brushes really rejuvenate our carpets.

The hand attachment is separation this whereas the smaller machine has it built into the unit, but it isn't a problem and is very effective for upholstery or difficult corners with carpet.

Overall I'd say this is an excellent product for anyone with lots of carpet or rugs in a medium family house.

If you have a smaller house or no kids and no pets, then the smaller more compact Vax machines are lighter and will probably do the job.

Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20
Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, Tasty, Still "me on a good day", 10 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used a supermarket own brand of soluble multi-vitamins for some time (they have exactly the same composition as a well known brand which is me on a good day), particularly during flu season if I am commuting to London at all, so I thought these may be worth a look.

Interestingly the RDA% of the key vitamins and minerals appears to be 100% whereas the supermarket ones are often several times that level.

The wheatgrass component intrigues me as I have in the past taken that as a supplement, but hate the dried powder. In this "drink" there is a hint of the wheatgrass but it does not dominate and yes, there is a frothy head which you would normally get if juicing with the live grass!

The taste is non-orange citrusy, and it is a light green colour. Overall a refreshing clean crisp taste without the unpleasantness of artificial sweeteners.

I know many vitamins and minerals are water soluble and therefore likely to be pee'd out rather than absorbed, but (excuse me saying this) this wheatgrass supplement does not turn my pee bright yellow like the supermarket or branded ones so maybe it has less artificial colorants or it is kinder to my system.

The merit of extra vitamins seems to be open to debate, but I do take them in a burst when I feel run down or if I have to be in a lurg infested environment, and I have to say this will now be my supplement of choice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18