Profile for The Dunelmian > Reviews

Content by The Dunelmian

The Dunelmian "The Dunelmian" (Surrey)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Scholl Active Sports Insoles Gel for Men
Scholl Active Sports Insoles Gel for Men

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the investment for happy feet, 25 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been suffering from painful heels for a few months, and tried a high street chemist's version of these which, although half the price, were of little use.

The contrast with the Scholl version is marked. Here we have extra gel support for the heels, fairly strong curved arch support and heel support (the latter being the cup effect which holds your heel in place and stops it sliding and rubbing - kind of like the base of Birkenstocks).

The insoles are easily cut to size and shape. I found I actually needed to go slightly larger than the guidelines on the insoles, but that may have just been the type of shoe I was fitting them to. They aren't so thick that you have trouble getting your foot into the shoe.

Walking around now I feel my foot is better supported and the inward roll which causes tendon problems is being prevented by the shell/structure of the insoles.

They aren't springy exactly (so not like wearing a trainer shoe) but they have enough bounce that impact injuries will hopefully be more easily avoided.

I also like the fact that the base of the insole is the type of gel which although not sticky as such, somehow adheres to the shoe and holds its position really well while you're walking. The cheaper version I tried had a tendency to shift slightly which caused discomfort.

I'll happily repurchase these for my other shoes now that I really do appreciate how important an investment they are.

Belkin True Clear InvisiGlass Overlay Real Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 6
Belkin True Clear InvisiGlass Overlay Real Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 6
Offered by BESTBUYIT

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite perfect, 20 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The ease of application is exceptional. I really thought that a glass screen protector would be a nightmare, but Belkin seem to have this sorted.

Clarity is also superb, and there is noticeable disturbance in touchscreen performance.

My only niggle is that there is a good couple of mm gap all around the edge of the screen.

I guess there must be a reason for this, but I can't help feeling that my phone is a little more at risk than if the protector had gone right up to the edge. For that reason I have deducted one star.

Vax Dual Power Max Carpet Cleaner
Vax Dual Power Max Carpet Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine with pro results, but quite heavy, 12 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have had this one's baby brother and for some years now it has been a godsend. Whether it has been muddy feet, wine and food spills, pet problems or just routine household dirt and grime, the results from Vax machine and Vax cleaning liquids are superb.

The downside to the smaller machines is they lack serious suction and the tanks are smaller, so we thought this bigger machine would be good to try.

I have to be honest and say it is quite heavy. That could be an issue for many people. On all of this style of carpet cleaner the suction area and the brushes will pick up loose fluff, pet dander etc that won't reach the filters on the water tanks. Cleaning them is tricky but a large paper clip or wire coat hanger bent to suitable shape can easily drag the accumulated bits out of the plastic front end.

For those reasons I knock off one star.

In use the machine is not too noisy, is really easy to use and surprisingly manoeuvrable and like our older little vax the results are stunning.

I am really pleased with how much muck we can get out, and how the double brushes really rejuvenate our carpets.

The hand attachment is separation this whereas the smaller machine has it built into the unit, but it isn't a problem and is very effective for upholstery or difficult corners with carpet.

Overall I'd say this is an excellent product for anyone with lots of carpet or rugs in a medium family house.

If you have a smaller house or no kids and no pets, then the smaller more compact Vax machines are lighter and will probably do the job.

Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20
Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, Tasty, Still "me on a good day", 10 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used a supermarket own brand of soluble multi-vitamins for some time (they have exactly the same composition as a well known brand which is me on a good day), particularly during flu season if I am commuting to London at all, so I thought these may be worth a look.

Interestingly the RDA% of the key vitamins and minerals appears to be 100% whereas the supermarket ones are often several times that level.

The wheatgrass component intrigues me as I have in the past taken that as a supplement, but hate the dried powder. In this "drink" there is a hint of the wheatgrass but it does not dominate and yes, there is a frothy head which you would normally get if juicing with the live grass!

The taste is non-orange citrusy, and it is a light green colour. Overall a refreshing clean crisp taste without the unpleasantness of artificial sweeteners.

I know many vitamins and minerals are water soluble and therefore likely to be pee'd out rather than absorbed, but (excuse me saying this) this wheatgrass supplement does not turn my pee bright yellow like the supermarket or branded ones so maybe it has less artificial colorants or it is kinder to my system.

The merit of extra vitamins seems to be open to debate, but I do take them in a burst when I feel run down or if I have to be in a lurg infested environment, and I have to say this will now be my supplement of choice.

Revlon Blush Brush
Revlon Blush Brush

2.0 out of 5 stars Scratchy in Use - Binned!, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Revlon Blush Brush (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The bristles are quite hard - to the extent they are scratchy on the face. Most unpleasant sensation. Application is very heavy as this brush picks up too much product, and it makes it difficult to blend out powders. Also, not appropriate for liquid products. For a couple of pounds more a "RealTechniques" brush is so much better!

TensCare Perfect Tens
TensCare Perfect Tens

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Complicated, 1 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife managed to deliver our first born mostly with a tens machine, so with osteo-arthritis giving me hip pain and referred pain down my leg I thought I'd give this a whirl.

It is a neat little unit, but my problems began with the instructions. I get that it has a wide range of settings which you are supposed to try out and find which works for you, but I just found it terribly confusing. It is a case of sitting with the little book open while you work out where to start, and then checking what each setting abbreviation actually means.

Once you've cracked that code, it is easily up and running with the set of "self adhesive" electrodes (I'm not sure they will last more than a month or two with regular use). The sensations are varied by programme, and are definitely an acquired taste. Varying from a gentle tingle through to quite significant twitching.

I just don't know how long I'll persevere, as ultimately it is just for pain masking rather than treating underlying symptoms.

Igenix IG347FF Under Counter Fridge Freezer, 47 cm
Igenix IG347FF Under Counter Fridge Freezer, 47 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and neat. Effective small form fridge/freezer, 24 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We got this to replace a small free standing fridge which was showing its age.

This Igenix unit appealed mainly because it has a separate freezer rather than an ice box like the old one.

It arrived well packed and was light enough for me to carry up a flight of stairs on my own. It seems to be ever so slightly smaller than the old (branded) unit it replaced, but it fits very neatly into the space and looks really good. I know the looks shouldn't be a big factor, but when you walk past something every day it cannot be ugly!

The white finish wipes down well and interestingly it doesn't show finger marks too badly. So far it is bearing up under daily use.

The freezer is the top door in the picture, and is big enough to fit perhaps a single person's weekly frozen food in. So far it doesn't seem to ice up too badly. We'll see how it copes in the summer.

It is a slight inconvenience having the fridge section at the bottom, and we still find ourselves opening the freezer door by accident. Everything is kept really cold though, and I have no complaints at all.

So far so good.

Revlon ColorStay Moisture Stain - Parisian Passion
Revlon ColorStay Moisture Stain - Parisian Passion

2.0 out of 5 stars Patchy cover and no staying power, 1 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review is in winter, so the weather conditions may have some bearing on the following...

The presentation of the product is impressive. It would be an acceptable gift.

Looks nice when on, initially felt good in application, but staying power turned out to be awful.

On first layer it was patchy (this was the case with two of us who tried it), so a thick second layer is needed for even colour coverage.

Doesn't stay on the lips well at all, but did stain little bits of dry skin and into all the creases.

Not very moisturising either - seems to leave the lips quite dry which is contrary to the advert. Sorry, but just not worth the money at this price point.

How to Draw Vintage Fashion
How to Draw Vintage Fashion
by Celia Joicey

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Beghinner's Guide, 7 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is very informative, with step by step instructions on how to do very stylised drawings.

It shows footwear for different body types by era. There is a summary/rundown of the clothing trends for each era.

They have settled on "vintage" as being defined from around 1920s to 1990s which really covers a very broad range of styles.

Designers new and old at each stage are explained, setting out what each one was famous for.

This will be a really good book for beginners or students of any age new to figure drawing or who are finding it a difficult skill to engage.

There is a very useful glossary at the back of the book which will be useful in particular for students at AS level.

It is well written, well laid out, and sensibly priced.

Pinzon Egyptian Cotton Sateen, Eggshell, Double Fitted Sheet
Pinzon Egyptian Cotton Sateen, Eggshell, Double Fitted Sheet

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for a touch of comfort and luxury., 18 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have a few duvet sets of high thread count, and it is interesting to compare this new range from Amazon.

The depth of the fitting is excellent. These days with taller mattresses and memory foam toppers, you really need some depth. Until now we'd only found them in John Lewis, so it is good to have a choice.

In terms of "satin feel", these are pretty good. Definitely mid-upper end quality, smooth and silky to the touch, nice to sleep on.

However, like may of this type they do tend to crease quite badly and need ironing after washing. It probably seems mean to knock one star off for this when you'll have creasing issues with most quality cotton sheets.

These wash well, dry easily, and retain the quality look and feel. The price points are sensible, it would be nice to have more colour choices, but overall I'd say these are worth the money and lovely to sleep on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18