Profile for The Dunelmian > Reviews

Content by The Dunelmian

The Dunelmian "The Dunelmian" (Surrey)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Braun Silk Epil 9 9-549 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 4 Extra Attachments
Braun Silk Epil 9 9-549 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 4 Extra Attachments

4.0 out of 5 stars Latest Generation is Evolution to Finesse, 13 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the third epilator my wife has had, having been an early convert from the traditional alternatives.

The first one was an agonising instrument of torture, and this latest generation is a massive improvement. Epilation is always going to cause some discomfort just by the nature of what it entails. However for some reason this Braun makes it less painful and smoother in use. The plucked chicken look is much reduced as is the redness and discomfort. Being cordless and usable in the shower makes a refreshing change but not necessarily one that reduces the discomfort.

The unit itself is comfy to hold and easy to direct against your skin. It kind of massages the skin as you move along and the "tweezers" clear most in their path. Of course this being rechargeable it is easy to twist and turn to reach those out of the way areas - unlike the old mains unit which often was a two person job. Like most epilators it is easy to clean and my wife keeps a little bottle of surgical spirit to swab around the tweezer ends. Most bathrooms now have a shaver point so of course this unit can be recharged from there.

The inclusion of the facial brush is a puzzle. I don't know whether they thought it may be worth trying it on your legs! It is definitely designed for the face, and I suppose it makes the overall package a more attractive and acceptable beauty gift than an epilator alone if bought by a man.

Power Bank, GMYLE® 2500mAh Ultra-Thin Wallet Sized Portable USB External Battery Charger w/ Built-in Lightning & Micro USB Cable for USB-Charged Devices (White)
Offered by Clever Gadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for iPhone, 5 April 2015
Definitely worth the money. It isn't as slim as a credit card but is slimline. Excellent results in that it quickly took my iPhone from 20% to 85%. He little lightning adapter works well and so far hasn't been rejected by my Apple kit (unlike a similar power bank my daughter uses).

Charging takes one or two hours, and it seems to hold a charge for some time- we've used it a couple of weeks after charging and it boosted the phone battery without problems.

Ultrasport Kids Street Surfer Waveboard Pro - Red
Ultrasport Kids Street Surfer Waveboard Pro - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick to start, tough to master, 5 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Getting started was quick and relatively easy. It is very different to a traditional skateboard, so getting balanced takes some practice.

It helped to get up using a fance or wall and then pushing off gives the momentum to keep moving.

The construction is really solid, it doesn't twist and flex as much as some of the 2 wheel boards.

Frustratingly there are no instructions at all in the box, and online videos are not specific to this one. They tend to be for the type that flex more. The most satisfying runs were on smooth surfaces - pavements were quite difficult as was uneven concrete.

Having said all that it is great fund and once you get used to the "wobble" that keeps it moving you can pick up speed and navigate around corners and obstacles. It does take some physical effort and I wouldn't recommend it for anyone with weak ankles!

Scholl Active Sports Insoles Gel for Men
Scholl Active Sports Insoles Gel for Men

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the investment for happy feet, 25 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been suffering from painful heels for a few months, and tried a high street chemist's version of these which, although half the price, were of little use.

The contrast with the Scholl version is marked. Here we have extra gel support for the heels, fairly strong curved arch support and heel support (the latter being the cup effect which holds your heel in place and stops it sliding and rubbing - kind of like the base of Birkenstocks).

The insoles are easily cut to size and shape. I found I actually needed to go slightly larger than the guidelines on the insoles, but that may have just been the type of shoe I was fitting them to. They aren't so thick that you have trouble getting your foot into the shoe.

Walking around now I feel my foot is better supported and the inward roll which causes tendon problems is being prevented by the shell/structure of the insoles.

They aren't springy exactly (so not like wearing a trainer shoe) but they have enough bounce that impact injuries will hopefully be more easily avoided.

I also like the fact that the base of the insole is the type of gel which although not sticky as such, somehow adheres to the shoe and holds its position really well while you're walking. The cheaper version I tried had a tendency to shift slightly which caused discomfort.

I'll happily repurchase these for my other shoes now that I really do appreciate how important an investment they are.

Belkin True Clear InvisiGlass Overlay Real Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 6
Belkin True Clear InvisiGlass Overlay Real Glass Screen Protector for iPhone 6

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite perfect, 20 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The ease of application is exceptional. I really thought that a glass screen protector would be a nightmare, but Belkin seem to have this sorted.

Clarity is also superb, and there is noticeable disturbance in touchscreen performance.

My only niggle is that there is a good couple of mm gap all around the edge of the screen.

I guess there must be a reason for this, but I can't help feeling that my phone is a little more at risk than if the protector had gone right up to the edge. For that reason I have deducted one star.

Vax Dual Power Max Carpet Cleaner
Vax Dual Power Max Carpet Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine with pro results, but quite heavy, 12 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have had this one's baby brother and for some years now it has been a godsend. Whether it has been muddy feet, wine and food spills, pet problems or just routine household dirt and grime, the results from Vax machine and Vax cleaning liquids are superb.

The downside to the smaller machines is they lack serious suction and the tanks are smaller, so we thought this bigger machine would be good to try.

I have to be honest and say it is quite heavy. That could be an issue for many people. On all of this style of carpet cleaner the suction area and the brushes will pick up loose fluff, pet dander etc that won't reach the filters on the water tanks. Cleaning them is tricky but a large paper clip or wire coat hanger bent to suitable shape can easily drag the accumulated bits out of the plastic front end.

For those reasons I knock off one star.

In use the machine is not too noisy, is really easy to use and surprisingly manoeuvrable and like our older little vax the results are stunning.

I am really pleased with how much muck we can get out, and how the double brushes really rejuvenate our carpets.

The hand attachment is separation this whereas the smaller machine has it built into the unit, but it isn't a problem and is very effective for upholstery or difficult corners with carpet.

Overall I'd say this is an excellent product for anyone with lots of carpet or rugs in a medium family house.

If you have a smaller house or no kids and no pets, then the smaller more compact Vax machines are lighter and will probably do the job.

Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20
Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, Tasty, Still "me on a good day", 10 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used a supermarket own brand of soluble multi-vitamins for some time (they have exactly the same composition as a well known brand which is me on a good day), particularly during flu season if I am commuting to London at all, so I thought these may be worth a look.

Interestingly the RDA% of the key vitamins and minerals appears to be 100% whereas the supermarket ones are often several times that level.

The wheatgrass component intrigues me as I have in the past taken that as a supplement, but hate the dried powder. In this "drink" there is a hint of the wheatgrass but it does not dominate and yes, there is a frothy head which you would normally get if juicing with the live grass!

The taste is non-orange citrusy, and it is a light green colour. Overall a refreshing clean crisp taste without the unpleasantness of artificial sweeteners.

I know many vitamins and minerals are water soluble and therefore likely to be pee'd out rather than absorbed, but (excuse me saying this) this wheatgrass supplement does not turn my pee bright yellow like the supermarket or branded ones so maybe it has less artificial colorants or it is kinder to my system.

The merit of extra vitamins seems to be open to debate, but I do take them in a burst when I feel run down or if I have to be in a lurg infested environment, and I have to say this will now be my supplement of choice.

Revlon Blush Brush
Revlon Blush Brush

2.0 out of 5 stars Scratchy in Use - Binned!, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Revlon Blush Brush (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The bristles are quite hard - to the extent they are scratchy on the face. Most unpleasant sensation. Application is very heavy as this brush picks up too much product, and it makes it difficult to blend out powders. Also, not appropriate for liquid products. For a couple of pounds more a "RealTechniques" brush is so much better!

TensCare Perfect Tens
TensCare Perfect Tens

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Complicated, 1 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife managed to deliver our first born mostly with a tens machine, so with osteo-arthritis giving me hip pain and referred pain down my leg I thought I'd give this a whirl.

It is a neat little unit, but my problems began with the instructions. I get that it has a wide range of settings which you are supposed to try out and find which works for you, but I just found it terribly confusing. It is a case of sitting with the little book open while you work out where to start, and then checking what each setting abbreviation actually means.

Once you've cracked that code, it is easily up and running with the set of "self adhesive" electrodes (I'm not sure they will last more than a month or two with regular use). The sensations are varied by programme, and are definitely an acquired taste. Varying from a gentle tingle through to quite significant twitching.

I just don't know how long I'll persevere, as ultimately it is just for pain masking rather than treating underlying symptoms.

Igenix IG347FF Under Counter Fridge Freezer, 47 cm
Igenix IG347FF Under Counter Fridge Freezer, 47 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and neat. Effective small form fridge/freezer, 24 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We got this to replace a small free standing fridge which was showing its age.

This Igenix unit appealed mainly because it has a separate freezer rather than an ice box like the old one.

It arrived well packed and was light enough for me to carry up a flight of stairs on my own. It seems to be ever so slightly smaller than the old (branded) unit it replaced, but it fits very neatly into the space and looks really good. I know the looks shouldn't be a big factor, but when you walk past something every day it cannot be ugly!

The white finish wipes down well and interestingly it doesn't show finger marks too badly. So far it is bearing up under daily use.

The freezer is the top door in the picture, and is big enough to fit perhaps a single person's weekly frozen food in. So far it doesn't seem to ice up too badly. We'll see how it copes in the summer.

It is a slight inconvenience having the fridge section at the bottom, and we still find ourselves opening the freezer door by accident. Everything is kept really cold though, and I have no complaints at all.

So far so good.