Profile for G. Newman > Reviews

Content by G. Newman

G. Newman (Birmingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Samsung S22A300H 21.5 inch Widescreen LED Monitor (MEGA DCR, 1920 x 1080 Full HD, 2ms, HDMI/VGA) - Gloss Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor at a great price!, 13 May 2012
After buying a new computer with one purpose of playing blu rays, I needed to a good monitor to go with it. As always, a quick search on Amazon lead me to this particular monitor. Considering the price, the recognisable brand name, and the strength of the reviews here I decided to make the purchase. The other reviewers on here (the positive ones anyway) are all pretty much spot on, this monitor looks fantastic and watching blu rays on it is a real pleasure. I have a 2 year old LG HMDI tv also which pales in comparison to this - the difference in quality is noticeable.

Having read the reviews here, I was aware that the monitor did not come with speakers so I was prepared for that. Obviously this is something that needs to be taken into account before buying to avoid any surprises. Some tvs (especially lightweight ones like this) can have issues with stability. Not so with this Samsung monitor, I can type with a relative amount of pressure and the screen does not wobble one bit. People may also want to note that the stand is not adjustable. I did actually have a problem connecting the stand to the tv - it was very stiff when attempting to slot it in. I had to put a great deal of pressure on the stand and tv and I was worried it might break! (It didn't fortunately)

I'm not a fan of touch buttons at all, but the ones on this monitor are very sensitive and function very well. The only thing I can suggest is to monitor the price; it tends to fluctuate quite a lot. I got mine for £100 but I often see it for more than this. To be honest I would say it is worth more than a £100, but it's always nice to grab a bargain :)

DIGIFLEX 3 Port HDMI 1080p Auto switch Splitter Hub Pigtail 1.3b
DIGIFLEX 3 Port HDMI 1080p Auto switch Splitter Hub Pigtail 1.3b
Offered by Digiflex

1.0 out of 5 stars No signal, 13 May 2012
Unfortunately I am another individual use has used this product only to find it doesn't work. Neither of my HMDI devices worked when this splitter was in place, but both were fine without it. It is possible the product was faulty, especially considering the strength of the majority of the reviews based here. I am disappointed, but in all fairness to the seller, they were very speedy and efficient in dealing with my issue and subsequent refund.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 1 May 2012
I was slightly worried after reading some reviews about the spacing issue for individual plugs, but I am happy to say that I haven't had this issue. All 8 of my plugs, including some larger ones fit very well into this extension cable. The individual switches are a neat touch, though I don't see myself using them personally. As a couple of reviewers have already pointed out - it does look and feel fairly cheap, but it really doesn't matter considering it's a product that should be hidden away anyway. Considering the price, this is an excellent product.

Mighty Bright Black Xtraflex 2 LED Book Light
Mighty Bright Black Xtraflex 2 LED Book Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!, 1 May 2012
I love going to bed and reading for a while as it relaxes me and gets me in the right frame of mind for sleep. I HATE having to get up to turn off my bedroom light (as I do not have a bedside table for a lamp) as this counteracts my relaxation! The solution - the mighty bright xtraflex book light! I have mine attached to my headboard and point it wherever I have my book/kindle. It easily clips on (perhaps slightly too easy - it doesn't take much to move it) and is lightweight. As it is rather flexible, I often swivel the light to one side during the day so I don't knock it. It is very bright and can cause some glare if pointed directly at a kindle - all I can say is don't point it direct, it's plenty bright enough to point in the general direction and still illuminate the area. In all this light saves me the hassle of getting out of bed after reading, I couldn't ask for more :)

Logitech MK260 Wireless Desktop USB Keyboard Mouse Combo
Logitech MK260 Wireless Desktop USB Keyboard Mouse Combo

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, great price, 1 May 2012
Considering the price, the keyboard and mouse really are quality products. I haven't had any issues with the wireless connectivity, though I haven't tried to push the limits on the range! The keyboard is fairly standard, and is big enough to do long periods of typing on comfortably. I'm particularly pleased with the mouse as it seems to be the perfect weight and size. A large clunky mouse can be a pain to use, and similarly a small lightweight mouse feels uncontrollable in my opinion. This logitech mouse has definitely got the ergonomics right! Highly recommended.

TeckNet® NEW Kindle 4 Premium Folio Case / Cover With Magnetic Clasp for NEW Amazon Kindle 4 / 6 inch / 2011 generation / Book Style - Includes Kindle Rear Protector - Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 13 April 2012
Considering this cost a fraction of the price of most other kindle cases out there, it does the job superbly well. It looks fantastic and protects the kindle perfectly whilst allowing great access to all the buttons. One thing to note is that the additional back cover that has been added after complaints works very well also. I have no marks on my kindle or the back protector itself after around two weeks of use. It is a little fiddly to get on - but according to the instructions to apply the protector, the company states they are happy to send out more for free if necessary. You can't really go wrong with this product, it's excellent.

Wonka Rainbow Nerds 170 g
Wonka Rainbow Nerds 170 g
Offered by Sweets and Treats Confectionery

5.0 out of 5 stars Too addictive?, 13 April 2012
I remember nerds from when I was young, and then they suddenly disappeared from the shelves. Recently they have made a return, but in the shops they cost me near to £4! A trusty search on Amazon lead me to this seller who offers them at a much better price. All I can is that they are amazing! Perhaps too good even, the boxes might be large, but they don't last long :)

One thing I might add is that I'm convinced they're slightly different in taste to the ones I purchased in the shops, but don't let that put you off as they are still great.

Cuisinart SSB1U Soup Maker - Black
Cuisinart SSB1U Soup Maker - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Soup - the easy way, 1 Feb. 2012
The Cuisinart soup maker is an exceptional product that I would recommend to all soup lovers. It really doesn't take long to learn how to use, meaning you can pretty much jump straight into making soups. I began by cooking a soup out of the recipe book that came with it - red pepper and sweet potato soup. All I did was to roughly chop all the ingredients, fry the onion and garlic for a minute, before adding everything else including stock and leaving it on the high heat setting until it was boiling, at which point I turned the heat down to simmer. Whilst I waited 20 minutes or so for it to cook, I washed up the equipment I had used, and got bowls and spoons ready. Once it had beeped, I blended the soup until it was smooth, served it up for myself, my partner and my parents. All four of us thought the soup was amazing! Total time cooking time around 35-40 minutes with minimal effort. I think that speaks for itself.

Cleaning the soup maker is simple too - adding water and a small amount of washing up liquid (a VERY small amount of fairy otherwise you will experience a soap explosion like me...) heat for 2 mins and blending. Generally, this cleans it well, though you may need to blast some hot water at the blades, or give it a quick wipe down as well. Still, it only takes a few minutes. The only problem I have come across has already been mentioned - and that is it would have been better if the jar and base could be separated to make cleaning easier.

All in all, a fantastic bit of equipment. I'm looking forward to branching out and making my own soups in the future.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
Offered by Excess Gaming

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent addition to the series BUT largely similar to MW2., 1 Feb. 2012
I won't write a massively detailed review as I think you can get the general gist from other reviews. In terms of differences between this and MW2, there aren't many - but saying that, MW2 was a great game (at least until it was taken over by hacking) and so I don't consider this to be a bad thing. If you buy this expecting a ton of new features, then you will be disappointed. There are a few new things which make the game interesting though - and as I got this in the black Friday deals, I'm very happy with the game at the price I paid.

The campaign mode is very much the same as before, very short but enough going on to make it worthwhile doing the once. Spec-ops also makes a welcome return. Survival mode is a new game type that is similar to zombies in that you need to kill waves of enemies but is exceptionally repetitive after a few minutes - nothing compared to zombies. But the real reason we buy a CoD game is for the online. The maps at first definitely feel very cramped compared to MW2 and black ops. I was quite disappointed to begin with and I have to admit almost considered putting the game down to gather dust. I persevered however, and once I adapted my strategies, namely switching to SMG classes over Assault rifles a majority of the times, the fun factor was reintroduced. So my best advice is to keep playing before you give up early on. The best new feature in my opinion is the added support and specialist package, joining the assault kill streaks from earlier games. The assault package is similar to before with AC130 and pavelows and such, though in this game they get shot down a lot. The support killstreak allows you to earn killstreaks even if you die which I think allows players aren't as good at the game to enjoy some decent killstreaks too. It is the specialist streak which grabs the most attention though - after 2, 4 and 6 kills you get an extra perk. And after 8 - you have access to all the perks, making you somewhat of a beast. This also allows you to experiment with so many different class setups - something I think only contributes to the life of the game.

On the whole - this will never be for everyone. Perhaps rent and see what you think first. But like I said, don't expect anything major to have happened since MW2.

The Complete Toy Story Collection: Toy Story / Toy Story 2 / Toy Story 3 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for kids!, 10 Dec. 2011
An excellent box set featuring toy story 1, 2 and 3 on blu ray. I don't think the films themselves need much of a review as it's unlikely you're buying all three films if you haven't seen at least one of them. However if that is the case, then you're making a very good choice. The films have the perfect blend of great characters (with great voice acting), strong storytelling, emotion and laughs. I wasn't sure how they could keep the series going for the third film, but it certainly doesn't disappoint.

All three films look absolutely fantastic, a definite step up from their DVD counterparts. Each film comes with a ton of extra materials for those who are interested in behind the scenes stuff. The three films come in individual normal sized blu ray cases - not one case with all of the films or the thin cases, and so they sit nicely with my other blu rays.

For those that would like to know, Toy Story 1 & 2 has subtitles in English, French, Dutch and Hungarian. Toy story 3 has subtitles in just English and Dutch.

The one thing to remember with these films is that they are not just for kids; I certainly don't mind watching them on my own! Maybe I'm a big kid.

Page: 1 | 2