Profile for D. H. Rowlands > Reviews

Content by D. H. Rowlands

D. H. Rowlands (uk)

Page: 1 | 2
WJEC GCSE Welsh (2nd Language): Revision Guide (Collins Gcse Essentials)
WJEC GCSE Welsh (2nd Language): Revision Guide (Collins Gcse Essentials)
by Jo Knell

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear and useful. I ve recorded all the lessons - just ..., 30 Mar. 2016
Very clear and useful. I ve recorded all the lessons - just a straight reading through -and would be happy to send the sound files to anyone who would like to have them. I believe that learners need both sound and text so they can connect them and repeat a lot (listening and copying the sounds). Each lesson lasts 2 - 3 minutes,
I have a South Wales accent. You can contact me via skype - a3waymirror

Welsh Rules: Welsh Grammar for Learners
Welsh Rules: Welsh Grammar for Learners
by Heini Gruffudd

5.0 out of 5 stars Having said that I found this to be the most useful book. It is a grammar - NOT a ..., 10 Sept. 2014
Before you use this book you need to have done some Welsh course so you have a framework of the language to develop.
Having said that I found this to be the most useful book.
It is a grammar - NOT a course - and is arranged in sections - Verbs; Prepositions; the Article; Adjectives etc. It is laid out very clearly and there is a lot of useful accessible information - vocab, idioms, expressions etc. that I have seen nowhere else. For once I ve paid the full price for a book and it s worth every penny.

Novice: Why I Became a Buddhist Monk and Why I Quit
Novice: Why I Became a Buddhist Monk and Why I Quit
by Stephen Schettini

5.0 out of 5 stars If you went overland to India in the 70s..., 3 Sept. 2013
you ll like this book. It s well written and immensely readable, I read it in one sitting. It brought back a lot of memories of how the overland trip was & how people were. The past is really a foreign country & I m glad I was there. It s book I ll keep.

Summit SM-1 Blind Spot Mirror with Clip-On
Summit SM-1 Blind Spot Mirror with Clip-On

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish. Unusable., 14 Aug. 2011
I ve got a Ka. This mirror was a bit tricky to fit, more or less jammed any adjustment of the main mirror - and god forbid you should unscrew the screw fitting completly, you ll never be able to screw it back in.

The Koran: An Explanatory Translation (Everyman's Library Classics)
The Koran: An Explanatory Translation (Everyman's Library Classics)
by Ed M Pickthall

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable, 13 Sept. 2010
I really did try to read this but the archaic 'churchy' style defeated me. Maybe no translation would be readable but this one went straight to the charity shop.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2015 4:23 AM GMT

Dough
Dough
by Richard Bertinet

5.0 out of 5 stars Using dried yeast, 13 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Dough (Paperback)
If like me you use dried yeast use 1&1/4 tsp for 500gm flour (or 4 tsp for 1&1/2 k flour). I had to work this out for myself - I was never going to weigh 10gm yeast each time. Other than that EXCELLENT book , consistently good results - I d forgotten what real bread tastes and feels like.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2011 8:41 AM BST

Colloquial Turkish: The Complete Course for Beginners (Colloquial Series)
Colloquial Turkish: The Complete Course for Beginners (Colloquial Series)
by Ad Backus

1.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable book, almost useless audio, 16 Feb. 2010
The recorded dialogues are for the most part so slowed down and the flow of the language is so unnaturally broken up that they are pretty much useless. If the people responsible had only used audio editing software to adjust the speed without distorting the rythyms this would have been quicker and easier to produce and much more useful.
The same criticism applies to other Colloquial books I ve tried (Mongolian, Hungarian)so it seems to be a fault with the commissioning editors rather than the authors.

Seagate FreeAgent Desk 500GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
Seagate FreeAgent Desk 500GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

1.0 out of 5 stars The one I bought (and returned) was rubbish, 2 Feb. 2010
Easily installed, but then refused to recognise that an external hard drive existed. Its also annecessarily big item. ll avoid Seagate stuff in future - I bought a WDElements drive; more expensive, really easy to use (honestly plug and play) and about 1/4 the size of the Seagate thing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2010 1:01 PM GMT

Genghis Khan: His Life and Legacy
Genghis Khan: His Life and Legacy
by Paul Ratchnevsky

2.0 out of 5 stars This has no maps at all - not worth buying new, 18 Dec. 2009
Given the size of the Mongol conquests and the unfamilairity of the territories/place names to most people the first thing that should have been included is MAPS - of towns, rivers, kingdoms as they existed at that time.
Without them you are left having almost no idea where in Central Asia the action is.
This is a major weakness and irritant.

Genghis Khan: Conqueror of the World (Tauris Parke Paperbacks)
Genghis Khan: Conqueror of the World (Tauris Parke Paperbacks)
by Leo De Hartog

1.0 out of 5 stars try something else, 8 Dec. 2009
The author has only used secondary sources - he apparently knows no Mongolian - a lot of them C19th Western European, so its only a precis of the old/dated work of others.The maps are truly terrible.

Page: 1 | 2