Profile for Mother and Neuro-therapist from Oxfordshire > Reviews

Content by Mother and Neu...

Mother and Neuro-therapist from Oxfordshire "harrybingham" (Oxford)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Victorian Christmas Cake Topper Kit
Victorian Christmas Cake Topper Kit
Offered by Special Days

5.0 out of 5 stars and felt like a miniature 3D winter wonderland, 22 Dec. 2015
Made our Christmas cake look magical and only took a few minutes. Having lots of small children, time savers are always welcome. And I confess I bought a Christmas cake from Tesco. But once we tied a ribbon around and added these little cut-outs the cake had real charm, and felt like a miniature 3D winter wonderland.

Revlon Colorstay Liquid Liner Colour: Blackest Black
Revlon Colorstay Liquid Liner Colour: Blackest Black
Offered by Art Apparel

1.0 out of 5 stars Used to love and adore this eyeliner, 22 Dec. 2015
Used to love and adore this eyeliner. As it was the only one I had ever found that stayed happily put all day and evening, even through the odd "onion event".

But either they have changed the formula, or the ones I used to buy were unusual in some way. Because these all run and cause panda eyes within hours - actually on one occasion within minutes - of application.

Rather hopefully, I purchased four of these at once. That is how much I like them! One in the bathroom, one in my hand bag, one for back-up. But they are all useless. What a pity. The old formula was wonderful and definite Holy Grail make-up product for me.

Am back on the hunt for something wearable. And meanwhile am wearing no eyeliner at all.

KINGA Nano Ionic Facial Steamer Hot Mist Moisturizing Cleaning Pores clear blackheads Acne Interior Humidifier Personal Sauna SPA System Skin Care Facial Atomizer Facial Hydration System Nano Sprayer
Offered by KINGA UK

4.0 out of 5 stars For many this will be the perfect steamer. It's key plus is that it produces ..., 22 Dec. 2015
For many this will be the perfect steamer. It's key plus is that it produces steam in less than a minute - unlike my old standard facial steamer that took a few minutes to boil the water in the tray. That will be an enormous plus for most and I commend it for that.

Unfortunately, if, like me, you like to add essential oils to your steamer - either for cosmetic purposes or, as I do, to breath in steam with anti-viral oils for sore throats and chest infections - then this will not work.

Something about the way it vapourizes the water so swiftly means that the oils are lost. Completely. I tried it initially with my standard five drops and there was really no essential oils present in the steam. I then tried it with a pretty large quantity of 15-20 drops - in a standard steamer that would choke you as so strong - and still no discernible effect.

I have passed this little machine straight on to someone who might make use of it for cosmetic purposes. For anyone wanting to add any therapeutic agents to the steam - look elsewhere. I would recommend the old fashioned facial steamers, or even the modern, electric, essential oil burners.

As I happen to think the best thing you can do to stop a chesty situation developing in to something nasty or chronic, is to breath plenty of steam with a range of anti-microbial oils - I will probably purchase another (cheaper) standard face steamer.

Update: Just in case anyone is interested in which essential oils I have found especially good to help get rid of coughs and chest infections: Thyme Linalool, Ravensara, Lavender, Eucalyptus Radiata, Oregano (but can be painfully stong) and Tea Tree.

Good luck.

Fullers Earth Powder - 5kg
Fullers Earth Powder - 5kg
Offered by Naissance

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes baths very affordable, 27 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Fullers Earth Powder - 5kg (Misc.)
The bomb for detox baths. Makes them cheap enough to use regularly. The scoop on using fullers earth/ clay baths is that using a really serious amount per bath - 1 - 3 kg really makes a difference. I use around 1 kg and feel great on it after a 30 min soak. No problems with bath clogging or the stuff dissolving.

Zero to Five
Zero to Five
by Tracy Cutchlow
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 27 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Zero to Five (Spiral-bound)
Awesome resource. Having four little ones (at time of writing I have 4 babies under 2 - twins and then 18 months later twins again), I have made a bit of a hobby of browsing the latest research in to good parenting practice (I know - no life!) - and this book summed up most of the good stuff I had gathered from other books.
Absolutely a great guide for an all round over view great parenting for anyone pressed for time which, let's face it, is most of us poor parents!

A Frequency Dictionary of German (Routledge Frequency Dictionaries)
A Frequency Dictionary of German (Routledge Frequency Dictionaries)
by Erwin Tschirner

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 27 Nov. 2015
Really useful. I speak decent German but was surprised to find how many very common words I was hazy one. Based on vast volumes of written and spoken German - so a reliable guide.

Paleo Foods Company Honey and Pecan Grain Free Granola 340 g (Pack of 1)
Paleo Foods Company Honey and Pecan Grain Free Granola 340 g (Pack of 1)
Offered by Superfooduk

3.0 out of 5 stars Tasty BUT quite a few issues..., 27 Nov. 2015
Delicious BUT..
Full of honey. I mean that is what makes it so yummy. And honey is basically FRUCTOSE (the worst form of sugar and worse for the body/liver/insulin resistance issues than plain scurose or table sugar or any glucose based sweetner).

Also, could have a higher proportion of seeds - it is heavily dependent on the cheaper ingredient, coconut flakes.

Also - would be much preferred if it were raw - ie the seed/cocnut mix were simply gently dehydrated to preserve all the enzymes.

Also - because it is roasted the oils in the nuts are damaged: all those omega 3s are super delicate and should never be heated.

Finally - the price! Wow - not really possible to use this daily as a cereal but I do use it as a tasty topping on my cheaper basics.

Overall, I buy because it is a convenient snack - NOT a breakfast cereal - but it would be so easy to be a bit more intelligent about the inputs and design and create the TRUE perfect paleo food:
1) Lower the sugar content
2) Use a sweetner that is not fructose based (fructose is baaaad)
3) Dry gently rather than roasting
4) Avoid heat to remove the toxic (post heat) oils in the nuts
5) Add more seeds relative to coconut flakes
6) Reduce the price a little.

Then we would have something truly worth of the headline PALEO.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2016 10:41 PM GMT

Pure Vida Living Raw Chia Bread 5 Slices
Pure Vida Living Raw Chia Bread 5 Slices
Offered by Quasaro

1.0 out of 5 stars Not at ALL what it claims, 8 Nov. 2015
Darned misleading product and advertising.

Something that calls itself Chia bread would, you think, have a decent amount of chia seeds? What is more, if you check the ingredients for the Raw Chia Bread on the Vida website, the ingredients are listed exactly as follows:
Sprouted Buckwheat, Chia seeds, Cabbage, Flaxseeds, Olive oil, Water.

When the bread arrived the packaging lists the ingredients much more clearly.
It states Cabbage 60%, Sprouted Buckwheat, Chia 5%, Flaxseeds, Olive oil, Water.

Cabbage 60%????

I am not paying the equivalent of £20/kg for cabbage. For two reasons:
1) that is not a reasonable price to pay for what is mostly cabbage
2) I am highly intolerant of cabbage and all brassicas - I cannot eat them at all.

The Amazon listing is in truth a little unclear, but clearly avoids revealing that the bread is mostly dried cabbage. But the VIDA website is just downright untruthful.

Re taste - I admit I only nibbled a bit. It is, like much raw, dehydrated, paleo bread, pretty unappetising. But I didn't find it especially objectionable, especially if considered a base for other things. My rating is based on the fact I thought I was buying sprouted buckwheat and chia bread, and found I had tons of chewy, dark, dank cabbage.

LE 12W B22 LED Bulbs, Brightest 75 Watt Incandescent Bulbs Equivalent, Warm White, Bayonet Led Light Bulbs
Offered by Neon Mart

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost but not quite., 8 Nov. 2015
Consider myself something of an expert on LED bulbs as I have been trying to convert my house to them since about 2011 - even though that is only 4 years ago - things have moved a long way since them. 90% of all the bulbs I have tried, in every possible variant of Gu10, G4, Golf ball, Pygmy, bayonet type, Small screw candle type etc - have been "off" in terms of colour tone.

Some were so hideous and/or gloomy, that I threw them away. It has, in that sense been a rather expensive journey.

Along come Philips and the first TRUE warm white version. It is easy to tell how "cold" or " warm" a bulb is, by looking at its " colour temperature". The lower the number, the warmer it is, and the higher it is, the more cold (blue, green, stark) the light will be.

Traditional incandescent lighting is broadly considered to be 2700. And EVERYTHING ever produced, up until 2013 when Philips produced a 2700 warm white bulb, was too cold for living rooms or bedrooms.

I didn't mind so much with the GU10 type bulbe which replaced all my ceiling halogen spot lights. Here, there was often a good need for some sparke, whiteness or brightness. And, more than that, I found that by mixing 3 or 4 different manufacturers - some of whom erred towards the mauve, some towards the green etc - I could something usable.

But for replacing the everyday bayonet or screw fittings in my table and bedside lamps - nothing ever gave the right light. They were always harsh, or swampy, or gloomy, or weird in some subtle way.

And then came Philips who produced a 9.5w bayonet base bulb that gave off about 60W and claimed to be a colour temperature of 2700 kelvin. Which indeed they very nearly were. Hurrah. I have replaced about half my table lamps with these bulbs and apart from being a teeny bit greener than standard, they are fine. The only reason I haven't replaced all my lamps with them, is I quite like a 100w equivalent in some of my table lamps.

So imagine my joy at seeing these LE, 12w, warm white bulbs that claimed to be equivalent to 100w incandescent AND also 2700 kelvin on the colour rating (ie a TRUE warm white).

Bulb arrived well packed yesterday, and I placed in the table lamp next to the end of the sofa I like to sit and read.

And the verdict?
Brightness: 10/10. It seems to me to be truly as bright if not more so than the 100W incandescent at the other end of the sofa.
Light Quality: 7/10. It is better than many but it is NOT as good as the Philips LED and certainly not as nice as an traditional bulb.

I have moved it to the lamp in the hallway, where it gives a splendid amount of bright light, for only 12W, and I dont' mind or notice that it is a bit greenish.

I came back to Amazon to buy some more of the Philips ones, and indeed to see if they have upgraded the wattage rating. But no such luck. They no longer sell a standard bayonet cap LED bulb from the Philips range.

I remain on the hunt, but am hopeful I won't have to wait long, as with the passing of each season there are improvements in these bulbs. I am pretty sure that within a year or so, I will have a bright, cosy, comfortably lit house, entirely from LED bulbs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2016 12:15 PM GMT

Croydex Anti-Bacterial Toilet Seat with Slow Close Hinges, White
Croydex Anti-Bacterial Toilet Seat with Slow Close Hinges, White

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless. Entire batch faulty. Manufacturer didn't care, 6 Oct. 2015
The fittings simply didn't work. When I called the manufacturer, they said, "Oh yes, that whole batch is faulty." No real apology. Unable to say if Amazon is still selling the faulty batch. Buy something else.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12