Profile for Laural > Reviews

One Night in Winter
One Night in Winter
by Simon Sebag Montefiore

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: One Night in Winter (Paperback)
Based on the blurb and on the first half of the book, I was expecting this to be an historical spy/detective story, or at least an interesting story about an interesting character, but it actually turned into a very simplistic plot, and badly written.
It's a shame, because the choice of setting and era were extremely clever and could have been exploited so much better.

Vegetables
Vegetables
by Sophie Grigson

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good book for those trying to eat more vegetables!, 11 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Vegetables (Hardcover)
I like this book, and its style. The recipes are good and work all the time. It's just a pity that there isn't more of them. The description of the vegetables might seem lenghty at times, but often includes 'hidden' recipes. The Peperonata has become one of my family's all time favourites by now; try it!

Leith's Fish Bible
Leith's Fish Bible
by C.J. Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars A real bible for any fish lover, 10 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Leith's Fish Bible (Hardcover)
My family does not eat meat, but we do eat fish, and quite a lot of it. The techniques are explained really well, and the recipes always work well. Together with the Leith's Vegetarian Bible, this book has now become my main source of recipes and ideas. I highly recommend both to fish lovers and semi-vegetarians (like me).

Bear on a Bike (Barefoot Beginners)
Bear on a Bike (Barefoot Beginners)
by Stella Blackstone

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and wonderful illustrations!, 17 Feb. 2003
I saw this being read during the Tweenies program, and noticed my daughter liking it very much. I then bought it and haven't regretted it for a single moment! The text & rhymes are lovely, but the pictures are absolutely outstanding. There's so many things to point at, and even after months I keep finding new ones! I am now buying the other books in this bear series; hopefully they'll be as good!

Maisy's Bus
Maisy's Bus
by Lucy Cousins

5.0 out of 5 stars Maisy never lets us down!, 17 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Maisy's Bus (Paperback)
Every Maisy book and video has so far been a favourite with my 18 months daughter. This bus story is also included in the Colours and Numbers Video, because each bus stop corresponds to a number, giving you the opportunity of introducing your child to the first five numbers. The illustrations, as always, are lovely and very colorful.