Profile for Gilgamesh > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
BLUE PS2 CONTROLLER to PC USB ADAPTER CONVERTER FOR Sony Playstation PS2
BLUE PS2 CONTROLLER to PC USB ADAPTER CONVERTER FOR Sony Playstation PS2
Offered by Universal Color

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously good value for money, and instructions for using with ePSXe, 1 Aug. 2015
I ordered this so I can use my PS2 controller to play my old PS1 games on my laptop via the emulator ePsxe. I have PS2 games as well, however sadly my laptop doesn't seem to be good enough to play them, probably because it doesn't have a graphics card in it!

The adapter arrived this morning having taken 11 days from China (very quick given the distance). It took me a while to figure out how to get it to work with ePSXe but after youtubing it I figured it out.

1. ENSURE THE ADAPTER WORKS ON YOUR PC
- Plug the adapter into your PC/laptop,
- Run the program on the provided CD
- To test it works, go to Devices and Printers (if you're on Windows 7 at least), and you should see the gamepad as "Twin USB joystick"
- Right-click on the gamepad icon, and click on Game Controller Settings and you should see two identical entries which for me say "Twin Vibration USB Gamepad" (yours may say something different depending on your controller). Click on either of these, then on Properties, and then start moving/clicking on your gamepad. If you see anything move on that screen, great. If not, cancel and select the other "Twin Vibration USB Gamepad" and repeat these instructions. Provided one of these works, then your gamepad works. Yay!

2. ePSXe CONFIGURATION
- With the adapter still plugged in, open ePSXe, go to Config -> Gamepad -> Port 1 -> Pad 1
- From the dropdown on the right, select either DualShock or if you have a DualAnalog select that.
- You will probably have keyboard mappings setup already. You will need to change these.
- One at a time, click on a box which corresponds to a button on the gamepad, and click the corresponding button on your PS2 gamepad itself.
- Each time you do this, the box should be updated with something like J2_B5, J2_LEFT and so on. (Yours might have a suffix of J1 instead depending on which port you plugged it into.)
- Once you've done this for all the buttons, click Ok.

That's it! Load up your favourite game, and if you've done everything properly, when it's loaded it should work like a dream.

Happy nostalgic gaming. :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2016 9:18 AM BST

Magician (Riftwar Saga)
Magician (Riftwar Saga)
by Raymond E. Feist

5.0 out of 5 stars 23 Books in One Review, 14 May 2015
Ok, I'm cheating here slightly but I think this is the best place to mention something useful for anyone like me who, after reading Magician, are tempted to continue reading Mr Feist's works until what I really hope is the last trilogy he'll ever write around the Riftwar. Just to clarify, I have read all the books essential to reading the entire story (which is contained in 20 books), plus the 3 Empire books which are optional.

Beyond the shadow of a doubt, Magician is Raymond E Feist's finest work, and almost nothing he has written since has come anywhere near as close. I imagine this is due to the fact that he developed the ideas and plot for it over several years, whereas for all the subsequent novels he has written, he has probably spent an average of 1-3 years in writing them. It is a beautifully written book with rich characters and an amazingly intriguing and captivating storyline. Its sequels, Silverthorn and Darkness at Sethanon, are lesser books, but still not bad and are definitely worth a read if you enjoyed Magician.

Taking a slight tangent with the Empire Trilogy, here is a story set in the world of Kelewan on the other side of the rift, and that too is actually worth reading.

Next up we have two stories which are fairly decent and which are sold combined as Krondor's Sons. These are books are also not bad, the first being a standalone story, the second being a sort of sequel but one which leads up to the next trilogy set in Midkemia. This is know as the Serpentwar Saga, and I'll be brutally honest about it: the first three books are about as far as I would go or recommend anyone to read. Again, they are quite interesting, quite well told in some respects, and it ends quite nicely.

And that is where I would recommend anyone and everyone to STOP reading. Because after that point, everything goes downhill and honestly, between there and the end, it doesn't really recover. We go through first the Conclave of Shadows trilogy, followed by the Darkwar Trilogy, then the Demonwar Saga (2 books, and probably the best of the latter works) and finally the Chaoswar Trilogy. Oh, and I forgot to mention book 4 of the Serpentwar Saga, which is such a disappointment after book 3 and so anti-climactical it seems that Feist just wrote it to bridge any gap between the Serpentwar and the subsequent books.

There is a definite lull when it comes to creativity, interesting characters, interesting stories, and general writing of the later books. In fact, some of the stories seem to have been spread out thinly over several books when they could have taken up far fewer pages, by including extremely uninteresting and mostly irrelevant characters and side-plotlines, not to mention some not-too-serious inconsistencies in the history (one character goes from having a sibling to being an only-child, as well as in one story we are told that he has never met a major character, whereas towards the end of the previous story he was clearly seen in the company of said major character, and other such obvious flaws.) Oh, and not to get on the author's case but there are a lot of typos in the subsequent books (at least the Kindle editions) which begs the question did anyone even spellcheck or edit these books before they went to print?

So in summary, the following are worth a read:

* Magician Trilogy
* Empire Trilogy
* Krondor's Sons
* Books 1-3 of the Serpentwar Saga

Anything after that, I would give it a skip. I just today got to the end of the end, my 23rd Feist book, and I'm very very very disappointed with the book as well as the ending. I'm probably in a minority, but I think in this day and age people demand so much more from their stories, and I think after Serpentwar book 3, Feist fails to deliver any suitable standard.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2016 2:11 AM BST

VOGMASK Microfiber Filtering Mask: Blue Flowers
VOGMASK Microfiber Filtering Mask: Blue Flowers

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter rubbish, don't waste your money, 11 May 2015
I bought this mask a couple of years back. I use it in heavily-polluted cities abroad, I don't wear it that much but I find it is useful to have something to cover my nose and mouth especially in heavy traffic conditions.

For the first few months it worked fine, but gradually over time it started to just wear out. Firstly, the elastic around the ears went, which meant that I had to keep twisting it round a few times in order to still get a snug fit. Then the wire across the nose started to become loose and eventually that too broke, and the material around it tore away even before that happened.

I think if I'm going to pay £15 for something like this, I would want it to last a good few years, not just a few months.

Where I'm staying, I can get a semi-decent pollution mask for 20p, which lasts me maybe a month. So for the same price as the vogmask, I can buy a supply of these which will last me around 6-7 years, instead of the several months this one lasted me.

I won't be buying anything from this company again, and I strongly recommend against anyone buying this product, it's a completely ripoff for something which is obviously very cheap to make.

HTML5 for Masterminds, Revised 3rd Edition: How to take advantage of HTML5 to create responsive websites and revolutionary applications

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers *most* HTML5-related technologies and not just markup and CSS, 11 May 2015
Although I generally make it a habit to only review a book once I've finished it, I've had this book for nearly a year now and have only managed to make it probably a little over half way. This is no criticism against the book or the author, on the contrary, there is so much packed into it that I've been busy using everything I've read thus far (up to the chapter on the Canvas and a couple of subsequent chapters) that I haven't had much time to plod on and finish the rest of the book. Which isn't a problem because it is as much a reference book as a book that should be read cover to cover.

The new HTML5-related technologies are covered more than adequately and I have found very little need to pick up other resources to supplement my information.

If you are coming from and HTML4, CSS2 background and you had to buy one book to teach you what's new in HTML5 and CSS3 as well learn about most new HTML5-related technologies such as CSS transformations, transitions and animations, Canvas (2D and WebGL), the Web Audio API, new <video> and <audio> elements, drag and drop, the fullscreen API, the Offline API (an essential component when it comes to writing for mobile apps) and a host of other new features, this is easily the best book I have found and what I believe is the only book out there (at this time) that covers these technologies. And the price is an absolute bargain, especially compared to a lot of other publishers who are asking for £10-£15 and delivering considerably less content.

On the downside, the JavaScript which is covered in that book isn't that great, and the book doesn't really make much attempt at teaching JavaScript. This is not a problem as there are plenty of good books to teach JavaScript. Also, if you're looking for any information regarding SVG, it isn't included as the author felt it wasn't that important and has left it to the reader to research it for themselves.

It is also worth noting that this book doesn't really teach HTML from scratch, rather it assumes the reader has at least some knowledge of HTML4 and at least some knowledge of CSS as well, although it does make a better attempt to teach CSS and does quite a good job.

The Complete Darkwar Trilogy: Flight of the Night Hawks, Into a Dark Realm, Wrath of a Mad God

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing compared to previous works, 17 Feb. 2015
Something happened to Raymond Feist's writing after the third book of the Serpentwar Saga, and whatever it was has continued throughout this trilogy which is really a one-book story which then segues into a two-book story.

The trouble with this trilogy is that at the heart of it all there is actually quite an interesting story which is dying to be told, however the author spends a great deal of time dragging us through uninteresting patches, introducing us to irrelevant characters who get a lot of script-time but who otherwise don't really add anything to the overall story.

Now, that said, the main story is actually quite interesting, if only it had been told a little better, with a lot less fluff and more substance to support it. Whenever there is a main story, there are usually one or maybe two other side stories and this can work well if those side stories themselves are quite interesting. In this case however they were not only uninteresting but in actual fact they had almost no relation to the main story whatsoever.

I could go into detail were it not for the fact that I don't want to give any spoilers away. I read this and the previous trilogy because I've already committed to reading everything until the end by the simply fact that I have bought all the books upfront up to Magician's End and I really want to see what happens. The good news is that at least the next book after this trilogy is very good, and I hope so too is it's sequel.

The Complete Conclave of Shadows Trilogy: Talon of the Silver Hawk, King of Foxes, Exile's Return

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as previous works, 17 Feb. 2015
Hmmm ... ok, after the 3rd Serepentwar book is where I think things started to go a little downhill for Feist, and this "trilogy", which is really a "twilogy" plus a one off story which is sort of a continuation but is also a bridge to the next trilogy, is part of a general lull in the writing which lasts for at least the trilogy after this, the so-called Darkwar Trilogy.

I can't really put my finger on what went wrong as such, I think it's a combination of quite a few things, but mostly the stories aren't as captivating or even as interesting as they used to be, the characters have all become very shallow and uninteresting, many things are really dragged out a lot longer than they need to be, some things are just very cheesy and unnecessary, and quite a lot of things are actually very predictable. I can see Feist was trying something new here, but it didn't really work that well for me.

Indigo Banana 3.5 mm Gold Plated Splitter Adapter for Headphone - Black
Indigo Banana 3.5 mm Gold Plated Splitter Adapter for Headphone - Black
Offered by Goods-for-less

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality, no problems at all, 17 Feb. 2015
Very good quality, arrived the next day, looks exactly like the one in the photo, and the sound quality is absolutely fine.

Yes, there was a similar looking one for £0.72, but I since that price also included postage and packing, the part must cost a fraction of that price to produce, hence all the negative reviews on there. Pay a little bit of extra money and you'll get something pretty decent, like this.

Object-oriented JavaScript - Second Edition - Learn a More Powerful Approach to Web Development

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on OO JavaScript and JavaScript for web development in general, 28 Sept. 2014
There is no doubt about it, this is an excellent guide to Object Oriented JavaScript as well as a thoroughly good overview of the core language itself.

What makes it especially brilliant is the fact that unlike similar books on JavaScript, it manages to cover a wealth of information in a relatively small space. I have the Kindle version (formatting for the most part is excellent barring one or two indentation issues in the code, not a huge problem really), but the paper version is reported at being just under 400 pages, which is remarkable given its content.

The book begins with a detailed introduction to JavaScript as a language, covering most of the core features and to a fairly decent level of detail. It then goes on to introduce object-oriented features of the language, and finishes off with JavaScript within a web environment.

I have been a software developer for around 15 years, and although I have used JavaScript in the past over the course of many years, I never took it too seriously and as such didn't really learn it from scratch. Rather, I would just look things up as and when I needed them, and so didn't ever really get a good enough feel for the language, or get competent at it.

This book really has helped me to become much more proficient at JavaScript. It is incredibly well written, and can be read by relative newcomers to programming as well as veterans of other languages who want to take the plunge into JavaScript and web technologies. The authors obviously know their material thoroughly, but they also have that very rare ability to communicate their knowledge in such a way that it becomes very interesting to learn. Far too many programming books are very dry and come across as being quite dull. This book on the other hand is really a lot of fun to read and I never found myself straining to get through any chapter, especially in the most difficult one which for me was the chapter on the prototype object itself. (Note: read this at least twice.) Oh, and this book contains probably the best explanation on closures I've ever seen anywhere.

There are exercises at the end of every chapter which really help you to test that you have not only read what has been contained in the chapter, but that you can actually think about the various concepts and apply them in a practical situation.

Whilst some people would complain that not enough is given to the web side of things, I would argue that more than enough is covered to allow a reader who has studied the book thoroughly to write programs within a web environment, and to seek out specific references on the web for anything that isn't covered. I have written web applications in JavaScript since reading this book and have hardly had to refer to external sources.

Highly recommended for anyone who really wants to learn object-oriented JavaScript and who also wants to build web applications but doesn't want to spend time reading a 1000+ page book on the subject. Oh, and if you buy it from the publisher, you will a) get it cheaper, and b) if you buy the electronic version as I did, you will get it in various formats including Kindle, epub and even PDF.

HCMY Blue Color 2 Pieces (Top and Bottom) Women's Sexy Bikini Size M L
HCMY Blue Color 2 Pieces (Top and Bottom) Women's Sexy Bikini Size M L

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, Fairly Good fit, Not bad delivery times, 30 Aug. 2014
Firstly, this was advertised as a Medium/Large, however I knowingly bought it for a lady who is most definitely a small (she is a 32B, 5'3", and has a small size waist) since for the price, I thought why not.

So, the result is that the bikini is actually very adjustable down to the actual position of the parts that cover the breasts, and so overall it fits very well. The bottoms also fit remarkably well, not perfectly but still they didn't seem oversized either.

Overall they look beautiful and are well worth the asking price, and the lady I bought them for is extremely delighted with them.

One word of warning is that the company is based in Hong Kong so shipping may take up to 3-4 weeks. However in my case I think it was less than 2 weeks.

What Is HTML5?
What Is HTML5?

1.0 out of 5 stars Worth exactly the asking price, not a penny more, 12 Aug. 2014
This review is from: What Is HTML5? (Kindle Edition)
Ok, so you shouldn't really look a gift horse in the mouth and all that, but honestly, this book was a complete and utter waste of time. More than anything else, it doesn't actually even bother to ask the question it set out to answer. Rather, it's just seems like the author was in a rush to put down on paper what his thoughts and more than anything else, strong opinions are on the subject of HTML5, without really delving into HTML5 and providing any level of reader some decent background information on the technologies involved. It is also quite badly written, without any sense of flow or direction.

I read it in around 20 minutes, but honestly I wish I'd spent that time doing anything else.

If you want a decent introduction to HTML5, then I would recommend searching the web or buying a book such as HTML5 for Masterminds revised 2nd Edition, it's going for a great price at the moment and seems to contain a lot of decent content.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3