Profile for R. C. Moreland > Reviews

Content by R. C. Moreland

R. C. Moreland "RCM" (Hereford, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
South Park: The Stick of Truth (Xbox 360)
South Park: The Stick of Truth (Xbox 360)
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally SP on a console again, 23 Mar. 2014
I remember as a tender teenager getting many hours of enjoyment out of SP's earlier games (South Park, Chef's Luv Shack and South Park Rally) although these are still good the fact they run on a PS1 makes them rather dated now. Needless to say I was very excited to hear that Trey and Matt were (finally) giving us another game and rushed to order it. I ended up ordering from Base.com as by the time I put the order their was such high demand on Amazon they could not give me a delivery date, unwilling to wait I confess to ordering from a site that could guarantee delivery as close to the release date as possible. I was certainly not disappointed. I usually have games sat on my shelf for months, playing for a while, shelving for a while, before continuing, however within 2-3 weeks of getting this game I have completed all of the Main Quest and a good portion of the side-quests. It is a very engaging and entertaining game and as a lifelong SP fan something that I thoroughly enjoyed playing. If you like SP as much as myself I would 100% recommend getting this product (regardless of censorship).

With regard to the censored scenes I was initially taken aback when they first occurred. However, I researched a bit online, watched the missing scenes on YouTube and it failed to bother me after that. Indeed, when I went to the abortion clinic and took my character into the doctors I knew the censored screen was coming so when it did I just laughed. It was very funny the way Trey and Matt had inserted cut screens with the backdrop of the EU flag and a description of the scene/mini-game omitted.

I do fully agree with other reviewers that I failed to understand what the problem was as the EU/UK version allows you to explore inside Mr Slave's butt and digestive system in all it's putrifying glory which was a tad more extreme that a bit of anal probing, methinks!? Also although the abortion clinic scenes were censored EU/UK players could still perform an abortion (yep, you'll need to see this to believe it!) to disarm the 'snuke', so it is hard to understand what the hue and cry was about!? I shan't go any further on this line though for risk of spoiling the game for those who have yet to complete it. All adds to the humour of double standards and state-run media standards agencies and the influence they have on the likes of Ubisoft and PEGI.

I went for the xBox version primarily because a) I have an xBox and b) although I could have bought the PC version I am not keen on the controls for RPG games in a PC format, preferring the control pad for the xBox. No other reason for selecting this product, and consequently I am happy to put up with the censorship in this release as it was in the medium most suitable to me. If censorship is something that really grinds your gears however, and the controllers aren't a major issue for you I would recommend the PC version. But, like I said nothing beats for me the console experience of RPG games, and after seeing the censored scenes/mini-games on YouTube I am satisfied that I am not missing much. In conclusion it is the most fun I have had with a computer game for a long time, a fully immersive and entertaining romp through South Park.

NB As with other reviewers I need to stress if you are easily offended I do not recommend this game as it is, in true SP fashion, very crude and at times incendiary. If you are not easily offended and want to give SP a try I suggest watching an episode or two first (they play very often on Comedy Central in the UK, and if you don't have access you can download episodes for as little as £1.89 on iTunes) to see if you like it. Owing to the topical nature of SP you do not have to watch in any particular order so pick an episode to try, if you enjoy then you may love this game, if you don't then you won't. SP is like Marmite, you either love it, or you hate it. This game is very much a spin-off of the series and is chock-full of references and is, as has been commented before, a more immersive and extreme version of an episode.

Turin Chrome High Back Leather Faced Executive Office Chair
Turin Chrome High Back Leather Faced Executive Office Chair
Offered by Office Furniture Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Substandard and cheap product., 17 May 2013
I originally purchased this item from another site but because the review is too long for that site, and I feel so strongly about it I am publishing it on Amazon also.

First the positives

1. It looked good, if a little cheap
2. It was comfortable

However, it is made of the flimsiest, poorest quality material, within one week the leather facing was coming off (just from being nicked by a hoover). I had to replace the gas lift within six months, and less than a year after purchase it spectacularly falls apart when I sat on it one day. On inspecting the weakness the welding on the base plate turned out to be of such poor quality.

When I bought this item it claimed to have a weight limit of 25 stone (I weigh 20), something which has conveniently been removed from the site in question (I wonder if many other people have had the same issue and just not said anything).

This said it is not a total write-off, the spider legs have found a new lease of life restoring an old managers chair I had in storage (which had broken spider base) and it appears to be holding admirably. Therefore this leads me to believe, in summary that this product has the following flaws.

1. Gas lift - poor quality, unable to withstand adjustment and prone to failure. The replacement gas lift in question purchased is the Black 9" Straight Gas Lift for an Office Chair available on Amazon.
2. Base plate on bottom of seat - quality of welding and joinery very poor, unable to withstand either weight of person sitting on chair or replacement of gas lift which I concede could have contributed to exacerbating an existing weakness. Saying that replacing failed gas lifts is a routine operation and should not have weakened the base plate significantly. Like I mentioned above I have since cannibalised the above product to repair another damaged chair and that other chair's base plate was more than able to withstand complete reconstruction.

Finally I want to dispel some questions you might have in relation to this review.

1. I used this chair in a home office while I was studying, it was only used for an average of 4-5 hours a day, well within the 8 hours recommended.
2. When I purchased the product it clearly stated that it had a 25 stone weight limit so my weight should not have been an issue.
3. I did not 'play around' with the product, I set it at the required height and used it for its primary purpose, a seat.

This review is based on experience with the product of nearly a year, therefore unlike some reviews where judgement is passed on delivery day, this review can show the quality of the product in an office environment over a prolonged period. My experience may have been a poor quality product in an otherwise immaculate name, however I will never purchase any 'Turin' products again. If I could have given 0 stars I would have.

TV Screen Protector 40"- 42"
TV Screen Protector 40"- 42"

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Protection and Piece of Mind, 28 Aug. 2012
I recently bought a new LED TV and was concerned about the amount of grime getting on the screen. The TV is also located in a small room and has games consoles connected to it, so there was concern regarding flying remotes and nunchuks! This arrived promptly within 48 hours (much quicker than expected after ordering on a Saturday afternoon. It was easily set up, and fits a 42" perfectly. I have had the item in situ now for nearly a month now and so far so good, ongoing cleaning no problem, very easy with just a damp cloth and some kitchen roll. As for the all important concern, the picture, there is no noticable distoration in my picture. Neither are the onboard speakers affected by the presence of a screen covering the whole TV.

As a home user I can certainly vouch for this product as being as effective in the home as well as in the business venues for which it is usually aimed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2013 11:20 AM BST

RJ45 Cat 5 LAN Ethernet Splitter Connector Adapter
RJ45 Cat 5 LAN Ethernet Splitter Connector Adapter
Offered by CHIC*MALL

5.0 out of 5 stars Ethernet Splitter, 28 Aug. 2012
I needed an item to connect two PCs (one desktop one laptop) to the same ethernet input. As the usage of each machine is very specific (one for study, the other for play/shopping/paying bills etc) I did not need one to connect to the internet at the same time as the other. There has been no drop in service performance through connecting to the splitter, the signal being as strong as it would be if ethernet plugged directly to the hub. If you want multiple devices to come off the same ethernet line you need an Ethernet Switch (such as the Netgear GS105), not an ethernet splitter. This is simply a time saving device designed so that you don't have to keep manually swapping ethernet cables between two devices not used at the same time.

I hope this clarifies things and helps people to make the right purchase subject to their own specific needs and requirements.

The Woman in Black [DVD]
The Woman in Black [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by streetsahead

5.0 out of 5 stars The most effective ghost story for a while, 20 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Woman in Black [DVD] (DVD)
As a big horror/ghost story fan I have grown to have very high standards. Something about this film attracted me from the moment I saw the trailer as being full of potential. I shall give nothing away to potential viewers but if you are looking for genuine tension and horror then this film will not leave you disappointed. From the first chilling scene to the final bittersweet conclusion you are immediately lunged into a suspenseful and intriguing story of tragedy, horror and despair. For once Sky's warning of 'intense supernatural threat' is quite accurate and even level headed me who watches horror films regularly is forced to admit my heart beat faster at times and I even jumped on occassion (very rare!)

Don't be deceived by the 12A rating, this is not dumbed down horror, rather an effective and intelligent story on a par with 'The Others'. Having viewed many 15- and 18- rated horror/ghost stories the primary strength of this work is it's reliance on threat and only fleeting glimpses of the woman in black. This means when she does appear, her presence remains effective and adds to the horror of those scenes.

Another strength to this film are the villagers reactions to high infant/child mortality, considering the turn of the 20th century period of the film, is accurate. Belief in curses and supernatural causes as to why children died young were commonplace in a time was life was short, hard and cruel. By successfully weaving this into the film enhanced the supernatural element by adding a very real sense of three dimensional humanity to the characters.

In a word I would summarise to say if you are evenly remotely tempted by the sound of this film, watch it and see what you think.

Emotion X40/69G 40" Full HD LCD TV with Freeview & USB Record/Playback
Emotion X40/69G 40" Full HD LCD TV with Freeview & USB Record/Playback

3.0 out of 5 stars A budget television for everyday use, 20 Nov. 2011
First of all I would like to confess buying this from another site, however, I would like to give an honest feedback of this items performance.

First with the positives
1. Picture clarity is good, when you connect all your media via the HD cables (not provided) you get a surprisingly good picture for a budget TV.
2. USB record and connectivity, I have tested this with my external harddrive and not only does it work a charm you also have a nifty feature where you can play music on an external HDD through the tele.
3. Easy to read on screen display. I am partially sighted and have no problems changing/altering settings or input channel as required.
4. Connectivity, even if you havent bought into HD fully yet, the provision of SCART, Phono and Coaxial connections enable you to plug in legacy equipment such as VCRs.

However there are one or two negatives
1. Sound quality-the onboard speakers are only adequate, I find however that as I like watching a lot of movies the sound distorts a bit in action scenes. I corrected this through the use of headphones/external speakers. However if you want a home theatre system and not just a tele it might be worth holding off and shopping around a bit more.
2. Although the company give you a code to tune in your Sky+ remote (if you have Sky that is), this only applies to the latest version of the Sky Remote. The code provided does not work on any of the older models (that I have found with my tele).

Happy shopping.

Philips SLV3220/05 Wireless TV link
Philips SLV3220/05 Wireless TV link

3.0 out of 5 stars Philips SLV3220/05 Wireless TV Link, 31 Jan. 2010
This product was bought when I moved my television to another room, didn't want the hassle of rewiring the whole house so I thought why don't I get one of these wireless transmitters. Great idea, however I failed to read the information properly in the first place. First, the positives, this product does it's job and you can watch television in another room to the box. However the quality does deteriorate somewhat over distance and is, as other reviewers have quite rightly stated, subject to environmental interference. The picture quality is not and never will be A1 with this product, but is watchable, I now have it connected to an old CRT television and it works fine, however when I connected it to my main LCD TV the HD Ready element really showed up all the flaws. You could still watch the tele however I would only grade the quality as a 'B' at best. On the CRT TV the picture appears a little better, but that could be location although even that is certainly still not A1 quality. For my LCD TV I have since bought the Emprex 5.8 GHz model and that is markedly better.

In short it depends on what your looking for, if you have an old TV with low resolution and live in an area with few other wireless signals this could work for you, however if you live in a built up area you are likely to encounter more interference. Furthermore if you have a HD Ready TV you may notice more imperfections as the enhanced quality of these sets seems to enhance the flaws, or it seemed to with me. Overall it is not the best product on the market, but it is functional, I got it on an offer for around £40 and I feel at that range it was sufficient. It is probably best however to bear in mind that 2.4 GHz is old technology and the bandwidth is saturated with signals so the chances of interference with this model is quite high. For that I would recommend you to look at 5.8 GHz models from the outset as these suffer less from interference and also produce a higher quality of audio and visual reproduction at the receiver end. I hope this helps you with your decision.

Emprex AWV-698B  5.8Ghz Wireless Video sender - Watch TV around the House
Emprex AWV-698B 5.8Ghz Wireless Video sender - Watch TV around the House

5.0 out of 5 stars Emprex 5.8GHz Wireless Video sender, 31 Jan. 2010
A first rate piece of equipment, I had bought the Phillips 2.4 GHz sender about a month before buying this and, although it worked, there was a lot of interference from wireless networks, the microwave and people moving around. Furthermore when I got a picture (which in fairness to the model was 90% of the time) it was very fuzzy and in the TV Guide an incessant crackling was to prove an incurable problem. So after a lot of searching I decided to risk it again and try this wonder. Simply put it did not disappoint, I have moved my television into a small sitting room and I didnt want the hassle of rewiring the box to the new room. With this handy little pod I now receive pretty close to the picture quality I would expect if I was watching Sky direct from the Scart. The sound transmission is also flawless, I wear wireless headphones a lot, so as not to disturb the neighbours, and the depth of surround sound transmitted on Sky Movies, I am pleased to say, is not lost in transmission.

This product seems to work for me and as such I would recommend it to anyone considering buying one of these pods as they do exactly what they say on the box and to a very high standard. The only flaw is the IR extender leads are quite short, so if you need to place your pod some distance from the box, and any other source of potential interference, you might want to consider buying a separate IR extender. This to me is the main drawback and as I have everything, including the IR extender, working flawlessly I feel 5 stars is justifiable for this product. I have had my say, now the rest is up to you whether you want to buy this product or not.

Kingdom Of Heaven (4 Disc Special Extended Director's Cut) [DVD]
Kingdom Of Heaven (4 Disc Special Extended Director's Cut) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martin Hancock
Offered by Shop4World

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine example of the revival of the historical epic, 12 Feb. 2009
I remember going to see the theatrical cut of this film in 2005 at the cinema and being quite disappointed. I found the caricatured characters rigid and wooden so much so that at the final battle I really couldnt care who won (of course I knew it would be Saladin). This cut really enhanced the film and made it a pride of my DVD collection brought out sparingly so as not to grow tired of it. I especially liked the 'tightrope' scenario described by one of the other reviewers in which both Balian and Saladin had to balance against their own respective fanatical corps. It highlighted the incompatibility of prolonged piece with fanaticism of any sort.

The development of the Queen's character was a notable ammendment with the insertion of scenes including her son being perfect to deepen the story and create a level of sympathy with her. Her relationship with Balian too was explained in much greater depth creating a much more 3D character. Orlando's performance in this film was also improved, at the final battle one could almost forget the soft, pampered image created by his performance as Paris in Troy and almost come to see him as fitting a gritty, raw and battle-hardened medieval warrior.

I never try to get caught up on the historicity of this period, trying instead to look more at the contemporary messages the film can tell us. Even though I have a first class honours degree in Medieval history I am very tolerant of inaccuracies and so do not pay much attention to them when they arise in a masterpiece such as this.

I disagree with the statement I hear sometimes that the film depicts the Muslims as somehow better than the Christians. Indeed Balian, the Queen and other Christian characters show that good was present on the Christian as well as the Muslim side. Admittedly no love was lost over Guy de Lusignan and his cronees, here greed and fanaticism took over and destroyed any chances for peace. However this cut also deepens the Saladin story as we see more pressure on him to crush the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Indeed whereas on the one hand the raid on the caravan and rape of his wife proved to provoke the invasion the machinations before this in the film were explored much more deeply so as to show the depth of fanaticism on both sides.

One must not either get too caught up on the religious aspects as this cut clarifies many other subtexts such as the greed of the Templar Knights hence their raiding of the caravans. Indeed the greed of the templars in this regard is legendary reaching such heights of power that the Vatican outlawed them in the thirteenth century. Also the moderate freedom of worship witnessed upon payment of a tithe. Balian's recognition by the Muslim's as an honoured enemy highlights how there were good and bad to both sides of the equation. It touches on some very controversial issues yet expertly manages these in such a way so as not too offend any group portrayed in the film.

This was a great return to form to the great epics such as El Cid but with greater character and plot development. One could tell this was a project Ridley enjoyed immensely in the diligence he paid to producing what should be remembered as a masterpiece.

Lords of the Central Marches English Aristocracy and Frontier Society, 1087-1265 (Oxford Historical Monographs)
by Brock W. Holden

4.0 out of 5 stars A good addition to contemporary scholarship on the Medieval March, 12 Feb. 2009
I was recommended this book by a lecturer of mine in preparation for a potential MA on the March of Wales. In this regard the book was cogent and well written, I found myself pulled along with the narrative which flowed with an eloquence that not only was readable but also still held the gravitas of scholarship.

Mr Holden has definitely done his research and although my dissertation was broadly similar some of his conclusions made me double take some of my assumptions. I especially liked the way he broke up the chapters into themes by first examining the Marchers themselves before retreading the well trod land of royal interference. This greatly enhanced the books readability. I found his expose of the interrelationship and eventual partition of the lords families and estates into separate branches divided between Western Herefordshire and the Middle March, through subinfeudation, in particular very illuminating. It clarifies how royal authority encroached and how the Marchers reacted by, in a way, keeping the Marcher estates beyond the reach of the king, in a Welsh Pale so to speak. He supports all these findings with a healthy diet of hard primary source evidence from charters, the pipe rolls etc.

There were places however where I did disagree with some conclusions such as his reference to the hostages hung at Nottingham in 1215 which he used to highlight the duplicity of the King. Whereas in my reading I found in Roger of Wendover the event is justified as a response to the Welsh 'bursting brilliantly forth' into rebellion. This would therefore put this action into the context of the `feudal' relationship of hostage taking to secure loyalty, thus if the Welsh did break out in rebellion first this would have been seen as ample justification by the king for this act. That the Welsh would not have been best pleased is assured yet being set in that precedent one might question if the king was being duplicitous or simply following `feudal' precedent. He does in fairness however state that any errors are errors of interpretation so one can accept this as a simple alternate view. Also this one difference of opinion only counts for the end part of one of the later chapters and therefore should not put people of reading the book, you may find yourself actually disagreeing with me. This being simply my interpretation of what I have read to date.

Overall this is a good book to develop ones scholarship and it contributes significantly to the study of a region who's status at the time was ambiguous. Holden succinctly highlights this by referring to the area as the 'hazy boundary'. This book is a welcome addition to an area of rapidly growing scholarship, a shame Holden has now left academia, hopefully he can be persuaded to return some day.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3