Profile for tommyboy > Reviews

tommyboy

Bumper Explorer Duo Trailer
Bumper Explorer Duo Trailer

4.0 out of 5 stars Bumper Explorer Duo Trailer - review, 12 Nov. 2010
I spent many days searching all possible trailers. There are cheaper ones on some auction sites but I believe you get what you pay for and the Bumper Duo is only £20 more.

I am an engineer and look closely at the design and assembly, and the materials and fixings used. The Bumper is Both sturdy and robust. I have read complaints about stiching at the seat and wheels that seem to be a bit loose. I have no such problems; the stiching is very sound and although there is a little play on the wheels, this is not uncommon for this type of arrangement and remember this is a trailer (i.e. being dragged behind a bike, there is no power to the wheels) and presents no mechanical problem to me.

I also looked closely at the connection systems from bike to trailer. The Bumper is very simple and mechanically very sound. I did not won't a trailer which uses clamps to the bike frame, these are inherently weak and more likely to fail (have read reviews of clamps failling and back wheels being destroyed). The Bumper has a steel fitting which you fit under the rear wheel axle nut, this is connected to the tow bar of the trailer with a pin and lock arrangement. As with all trailers there is a fail safe strap which ties onto the bike frame incase the mechanical fixing fails. In my opinion, under normal use and properly fitted the mechanical fixing cannot fail. I needed this confidence before I would purchase any trailer.

Wheels and towing arm remove and fold very simply and easily (very safe too), and the whole thing can be put up or down in 30 seconds. Folds flat and small enough for any car.

Option of fitting front wheel and push handle for stroller works just as well. Unlike some other models the Bumper front wheel is underneath at the front, with the tow bar folded away (some have fixed tow bar with the front wheel on it, looks naff and not practical).

Sure you can spend more (and I mean you have to spend a lot more, like maybe £300) before you get to the next range of trailer. Of course these are the 'daddy' or 'rolls royce' of the trailer world, but like the rolls well out of my league!

There are many acurate reviews however regarding the problem of wearing a helmet and heads being pushed forward by the back of the seat in the trailer. The decision is yours, slight uncomfort for safety or not. At the end of the day I only take the trailer off road for leisure, and never go that fast so my boy was safe with the harnesses and no helmet.

Conclusion - my research paid off; can't get better for the money, and far better than models that are only slightly cheaper.

Hope this helps folks (like I was) new to the world of trailers. Best advice, just go for it the little one love it.