4 of 4 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars
Easy to use, but has limitations, 11 Nov. 2010
I bought Bento to do a booking database for our holiday house, fast. I thought, at that price I could not go all wrong.
I have actually managed to do a working booking system for three apartments, using iCal and the built in address book for the purpose.
But I can see I am hitting the limits of Bento when I want to do reports of various sorts, and as we are expanding the business I will probably be going to Filemaker (I can't be asked making interface for MySQL).
- Fast to do basic stuff, also without DB experience.
- Integrates well with standard OS X programs
- Not a relational DB
- If you have DB experience, you hit the limits pretty fast, or have to do funny workarounds.
- MySQL, PostgreSQL: Much steeper learning curve, but almost unlimited possibilities. You may need a frontend.
- Filemaker Pro: Somewhat more expensive, but powerful enough for most uses, and still easy to use.