Profile for Ms. C. L. Thomas > Reviews

Content by Ms. C. L. Thomas

Ms. C. L. Thomas "claire_1509" (West Midlands, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Apple MD199 Apple TV Extern Gateway / Bridge
Apple MD199 Apple TV Extern Gateway / Bridge
Offered by orange-zest

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic device to complement your TV, 18 Feb. 2014
Received this as a gift for Christmas, and I use it nearly everyday. It is easy to set up, connected to the wireless seamlessly and was up and running in no time. The quality of the picture is fantastic, Apple certainly haven't scrimped on making it bright and clear. Regularly use it to stream Netflix and downloads from my iPad. Love the mirroring/AirPlay functions.

I think the most underrated part of the Apple TV system is the remote control. Small, simple and so easy to use. It looks great, and it's Apple's trademark to make something look futuristic, yet keep it so simple. My mom is not great technologically, and she picked it up and managed to work the system straightaway. It's literally 7 buttons. When you compare it to a television remote, it's just mind-boggling that they have managed to whittle it down to something so small.

The reason I haven't given it 5 stars isn't really Apple's fault - more the apps in question. For example, I have Sky Go on my iPad, and Sky have obviously blocked the AirPlay function, the same with Channel 4 On Demand. This means I can't watch anything from Sky Go or Channel 4 via Apple TV. This is highly frustrating because I can plug my laptop in to my TV via HDMI and access both of these services. So I don't see why they'd block Apple TV when there are other ways to access them.

However, most things can be AirPlayed with ease, and I love that it accesses my iTunes library via Home Sharing so I can play my music through the TV. The box itself is highly portable (it frequently travels between mine and my boyfriend's house), and because it remembers the wireless passwords, it connects automatically, making the transition simple and quick. The other apps on the box, such as YouTube and Bloomberg, are easy to use and clear - really streamlined with the system. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to make their TV "smart".

Freedom Feminism: Its Surprising History and Why It Matters Today (Values and Capitalism)
by Christina Hoff Sommers

1.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to swallow, 3 Dec. 2013
While I can get to grips with some of what she's saying, I'm truly struggling with her argument that men and women have now had the right to choose their own paths for a long time, and women are still choosing to be caregivers. She has completely ignored all of the evidence that tells us that boys and girls are still raised differently, and sociology and gender roles are still extremely well versed even within Western societies. Just because they aren't imposed by law, doesn't mean they aren't imposed by the far stronger force of cultural norms. She is ignoring a huge amount of scientific and psychological research in order to push her idea of "maternal feminism", which might as well be renamed "feminism for men". Of course it's always been more successful throughout history: it's more palatable to the masses who have constantly lived in male-dominated structures. I really can't get my head around her to be honest, she just seems complicit in supporting the malecentric view of women as carer, man as worker. Even though she herself discusses how women coped perfectly fine during the war. Difficult reading if you're an egalitarian.

HTC One 32GB UK SIM Free Smartphone - Black
HTC One 32GB UK SIM Free Smartphone - Black
Offered by GOSHOP247

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic, 13 Nov. 2013
Where to begin? First, as many others have done, I'll put this into context. My previous phone was an iPhone 4S, before that, I had a Samsung Galaxy Ace, a BlackBerry Torch 8800, and a HTC Desire Z.

This phone blows all of those out of the water. I really worried about converting from Apple back to Android, especially because the Galaxy Ace and my Desire Z had been so miserably poor. However, I was becoming increasingly infuriated by the poor iPhone battery life, the fact that iOS 7 was clearly a huge rip-off of Android anyway, and to be honest, as my friend so aptly put it "iOS 7 looks like something from the Early Learning Centre". Too bright, garish and altogether not in-fitting with Apple's self-styled "sophisticated business phone". Also, the extreme fragility of iPhone was becoming a real bug bear for me. I have cracked two screens on my 4S, and I'm actually not that clumsy a person. Everybody drops their phone, but every time I was dropping the iPhone, I knew I was dicing with death. So I felt it was time to sell up and get out.

Upon advice from multiple mobile phone shops and companies, this one seemed to come out top. Having now owned it for 2-3 months, I can see why. The Beats Audio speakers are fantastic quality - I am with Vodafone 4G so I also have the free Spotify Premium subscription, meaning I get to listen to a great range of music through the quality speakers. The screen size is fantastic for watching YouTube videos, Vine, Instagram and so on, and the quality of the colour is just fantastic. The ease of use of the Android OS is so refreshing after the truly infuriating red-dot mania on my iPhone home screen. Every time I was unlocking my phone, I was greeted with a barrage of red dots on every app, which only disappear when you have physically gone into the app and removed them. No such problem with Android. Drag down your notifications screen at the top, and swipe all of your notifications away. Job done, no muss, no fuss.

The camera is 4 ultrapixels, which confused me on first hearing. Having only encountered megapixels, I was a bit perplexed as to what it all meant. However, the camera is great - clear, good quality, great flash, and the photo editing options are really great and easy-to-use. The forward-facing camera is a lot clearer than the one on my 4S, great for Skype and photo-taking. My only mild gripe is when taking a distance shot with the main camera, sometimes it blurs a tad too easily. But that is a minor issue, and can be rectified with a steady hand (which unfortunately, I don't possess!)

The in-call sound quality is great, no fuzziness (which I often experienced with my iPhone), love the fact that I can change the colour of my text message bubbles. It overall has a feel of much more personality than the iPhone, where everything is set to a certain way and there aren't many alterations you can make. I absolutely adore the widgets function. I have my daily news readily accessible via a funky moving photo widget, I can access multiple news sources (great for my university studies, requiring me to keep up to date with current affairs) and it's very simple and easy to set up. I also have the calendar widget on my home screen, meaning my appointments are all right there in front of me, clear and easy to see. No faffing with the actual calendar app, really useful.

Another fantastic feature which really impressed me, was the battery-saving function. If you set that, your phone screen will go dark a lot quicker, and your screen is dimmer. But it saves an absolute age on the phone's life. With constant usage, of course it will die much more quickly than intermediate use. However, the battery on this outstrips my iPhone by a flying mile. I can use it fairly regularly throughout the day, and it gives me 24-36hrs without much effort. If I was on 25% of my iPhone battery, I didn't risk leaving the house without my charger. Now, 25% I know will comfortably last me a good 5 hours if I don't overuse it.

Love the way it syncs my contacts with Facebook, so I get their photo when they call me, their Facebook status is available via my 'contacts' tab, and it all just works very seamlessly. I can directly upload photos from my phone gallery to Instagram, Whatsapp, Kik, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and so on, without having to directly access the actual app I am aiming for the photo to go to. This was one of Apple's failures - even though it tried to become more streamlined, it hasn't done it anywhere near as effectively as Android.

The notification flash has also been missed! Love the fact that my little phone will have a green flashing light to let me know someone has called or texted me, no need to actually unlock the phone and check the screen. The emails are immediate too, I had severe lag with my Gmail account via my iOS. No problems here whatsoever.

It's all of these minor things that you don't realise are so useful until you have had an Apple device to compare it to. I thought I'd never turn back from the iOS system, but frankly, I don't think I'll ever go back to Apple again, unless there is a massive revolution in the way they do things. Steve Jobs needs to return from the dead for that company to go back to being the powerhouse that it was. Don't get me wrong, my iPad is still fantastic, but as far as mobile phones go - Apple no longer have the corner of the market; and the sooner people see it, the better. Both me and my friend transferred over to the HTC One from iPhone 4S, neither of us have a regret about it and I haven't had a single problem.

Would recommend to absolutely anyone. I've got this one in red, and it's a really great colour too.

Feminism: The Ugly Truth
Feminism: The Ugly Truth

1.0 out of 5 stars Sigh, 17 Sept. 2013
I had heard Buchanan's debate with Laura Bates (head of the Everyday Sexism Project), on the Jeremy Vine Show and was interested to hear more of his points. As a self-confessed feminist, I am always intrigued by opposition and their logic. Frankly, I came onto Amazon and decided I don't even need to buy the book. Laura wiped the floor with him in their debate and the picture on the cover clearly shows why. I don't see any feminist books with a front cover physically demonising men the way this cover demonises feminist women. Absolutely atrocious and completely proves why we still need feminism. I advise you listen to the debate and see just how easily his arguments fall apart in the face of an intelligent, articulate feminist who has not an ounce of man-hate inside her. Awful.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2014 10:36 PM BST

The Equality Illusion: The Truth about Women and Men Today
The Equality Illusion: The Truth about Women and Men Today

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read, 17 Sept. 2013
Well-written, well thought out and an absolute must for feminists and equality-activists everywhere. Get someone you know who doesn't think sexism exists to read this, it will change their mind (if it doesn't, nothing will!) Brilliant.

Nokia Lumia 800 Sim-free Windows Smartphone 16GB - Matte Black
Nokia Lumia 800 Sim-free Windows Smartphone 16GB - Matte Black
Offered by Shelfone™

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, 8 Dec. 2012
The last phone I had was an awful HTC Wildfire (slow, poor battery and bad screen) so I ended my contract early and bought the Nokia Lumia 800. I've been on an iPhone, a BlackBerry and a HTC but none compare to the Nokia. It's stylish, fast and works great, everything you need in a good smartphone.

ROTATING 360 LEATHER CASE COVER SCREEN PROTECTOR FOR APPLE IPAD 2 AND 3 AND IPAD 4 4TH GEN - BY SMARTPHONEZ_UK (BLACK)
Offered by CaseforYou-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good case - but one little niggle., 27 Nov. 2012
I bought this case and it arrived promptly with no issues; delivery was great. It protects the iPad brilliantly and is very easy to use. Looks professional, I particularly like that the Apple logo is on view at the back. It comes with a stylus and screen protector too, which is extremely handy and ideal for the price. The only minor issue I have is it can be quite difficult to remove from the plastic grips which hold it in the rotating section of the case. However, as long as you use both thumbs to press either side of the corners, it should pop out relatively easily (I discovered this after much grappling and worrying I was going to break the case, the iPad, or my fingers). Otherwise, an excellent purchase and I would 100% recommend this if you plan on putting it in the case and leaving it there.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2014 6:27 PM BST

TP-LINK TL-WA730RE 150Mbps Wireless N Range Extender
TP-LINK TL-WA730RE 150Mbps Wireless N Range Extender
Offered by Millennium Music Software

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 19 Nov. 2012
Recently paid for the Sky N router hoping the signal would finally reach my bedroom. No such luck. So I bought this as well - and it was really easy to set up. Only had to press the button on my N router and it picked it up immediately. The signal in my room is now 5/5 bars at all times. I only give it four stars because I think if my Sky N router hadn't had that handy button - it would have been rather complex to sort out.

High Grade - Extra Long USB Sync & Charge Cable for Apple iPhone 3G / 3Gs / 4 / 4S - For All Apple iPod Touch / Nano / Classic / Mini (All Generations) - For Apple iPad 1 / 2 / 3 - Length : 2 meters / 6.6 ft - AAA Products®
Offered by MACRO.SUPPLIER

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 19 Nov. 2012
Promptly delivered, looks exactly the same as an official Apple wire, can now charge my phone whilst in bed and use it at the same time! Very useful.

Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism
Living Dolls: The Return of Sexism

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for feminists, 19 Nov. 2012
Really eye opening piece of literature. Very informative with studies to back it up, case studies and some shocking statistics. Great read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4