Profile for S. Roberts > Reviews

Iron Man [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Downey Jr.
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Completely and utterly Overhyped., 29 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Iron Man [DVD] (DVD)
When Iron Man was released on DVD, I had heard so much hype about it that I could not wait to rent it and view the film...
...I was let down completely.
Robert Downey Jr, who I consider to be an immensely talented actor, seemed to have gone for role so far below him.
The plot was generic, and boring, and bears some similarity (near the end fight scene) to that of the new Incredible Hulk movie, which I have to say is tonnes better.
I felt that they only really touched the surface on RDJ's character and that of his female assistance, so much more character study could have been undergone.
When I first saw the advertisement for Iron Man, the idea seemed a little lame and generic, and I have to agree, after viewing this film, that view remains intact.

HOWEVER, if you are an avid fan of Robert Downey Junior, go and watch 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' , it is by far RDJ's best perfomance on screen that I have seen so far.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2009 7:58 AM GMT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars A Step Down From Casino - What A Shame., 29 Dec. 2008
I came out of QOS feeling satisfied but not exhilarated as I had done with Casino Royale. All the style and vibrance of Casino had completely vanished!
For a start, the plot was so damn complex that I didn't know what the heck was going for for 75% of it. The fight scenes - who could possibly keep track of what was happening...? Too fast for my eyes, and in the roof chase, I could not work distinguish between Bond and the man being chased, you would have had to put a red jumper on Bond to distinguish him.
The initial car chase was completely spoilt by the speed of the whole thing...I couldn't work out was Bond persuing or being persued...!?
However the acting was interesting and I felt the performance of Olga K (can't remember how her last name is spelt ) was outstanding, as was that of Gemma Aterton and Judi Dench (Is it just me or since Dan took over the role of Bond, he and M just don't get on anymore? Seems a bit weird.)
Anyway overly average film....please please sort out the next one, don't let it be a let down like this one.

The Simpsons Movie [DVD] [2007]
The Simpsons Movie [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Dan Castellaneta
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Damn Good - Other reviews a bit too harsh, 12 Jan. 2008
I personally enjoyed this film a lot,
but through reading other reviews, People seem to be making the point that the humour is lacking, I would agree that later seasons, the humour has gone downhill, but I would like to say to all those who think Spider pig is stupid or unfunny, it's meant to be funny cos it's so random, if you get my jist.
I totally disagree that animations like South Park and Beavis and Butthead are better, they both left me totally disgusted as a viewer, at least with Simpsons, it's all pretty harmless comedy, as opposed to the offensive 'humour' you get from South Park.
In the cinema, my 23 year old sister and myself (18) were rolling around laughing for most of this, maybe it is only funny for a majority of people but I think that the people who said this wasn't funny because of the apparent down sized humour, what were you expecting?
I am heartly looking forward to buying this on DVD when I get more cash, I hope to see some rather fun special features, is this a 2 Disc edition?

One Way Ticket To Hell ... And Back
One Way Ticket To Hell ... And Back
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling, 13 Sept. 2006
I'm afraid I have to agree with the people who didn't like this. No way as catchy as Permission to Land, just realy repetitive and boring. No stand out tracks at all. If you like The Darkness as i used to, then listen to Permission to Land! Definately the best and better CD!

Masterpiece Theatre: Frenchman's Creek [DVD] [1998] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 27 Aug. 2006
In 1998, I was only a kid when my parents recorded it, but too young to watch it, but then a few years later my sister sat me down in front of it and what can i say? I fell in love. But of course over the course of watching for the last 8 years, the video recording has become distorted, i have waited and waited in hope that it would be brought out on dvd and finally my wish has been granted, i just hope when i get a chance to buy it on here, that it will play on my dvd player (sometimes region 1 films are a bit dodgy on normal british players but fingers crossed.) This film is great for people who love films to be as good as the book, although i have never read Daphne's Frenchman's creek, this film caught every amazing aspect of the adventure and the passion and romance that Donna experiances. Tara Fitzgerald is an amazing actress and in my opinion this is one of her best performances! I may only be 17 but i know a good film when i see one and i have fallen in love with this film! Filmed in Cornwall too! Hope it brings as much joy as it brought me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2009 4:47 PM GMT