Profile for AGDA > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Throne of Glass: 1
Throne of Glass: 1
by Sarah J. Maas

5.0 out of 5 stars Cinderella goes to the ball in the glass castle, 20 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Throne of Glass: 1 (Paperback)
I bought this book because I was bored and wanted something to read this summer. I was in for a surprise.
I like this book so much that I am already checking internet to see when the second one will be published.
It has a rocky start, with a map of a fantasy land world, and so many names in the first few pages. It looked like a boring LOTR wannabe romance novel, but I was wrong. It is actually quite good and there is a subtle reference to Cinderella. The poor lost girl that arrives to the castle and goes to the ball although she was not invited. Instead of a glass shoe, she has a glass castle, and instead of only a prince, she has a prince and a captain.

The main character, Celaena Sardothien, is funny, strong, and has a way of saying whatever crosses her mind.

The best part is not the romantic bit, not at all, it is the preparation for the tests, how she improves in every aspect, not just physically, but how she interacts with the rest of the characters, how she grows fond of them and all the different changes that take place in her.

In my opinion, Dorian is a weak character compared to Celaena, Nehemia or Chaol, which are much more interesting to read, although I know the reader should like Dorian, as he is the prince and so on, but he is just a bit boring.

The plot is a confusing at times when it deals with magic and the secret dark plan of the king, but I imagine that we will get more answers in a future second book. There is a lot to be explained.

The only thing that I didn't fully liked was the fact that everyone, even her, keep saying how Celaene is the Assassin of all assassins. We got it the first two hundred times, no need to keep telling us that.

Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector - # Pearl 50ml
Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector - # Pearl 50ml
Offered by PrettySkin

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect highlighter, 6 Mar. 2012
I have read and heard about this product for so long that I had to try it. Most of Youtube make-up gurus rave about it non-stop.
I have to admit that I was not sure if it was going to be so good but it actually is.
The product is very subtle, a light radiance on the skin and not greasy and does not leave my skin looking shiny like a disco ball.
I do not know if it actually perdects my skin, but it works as a highlighter just fine.
I will repurchase, although one bottle can last a long while, as you just need the tiniest amount for your face.

What's Your Number? (DVD)
What's Your Number? (DVD)
Dvd ~ Anna Faris
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but surprisingle better than I expected, 6 Mar. 2012
This review is from: What's Your Number? (DVD) (DVD)
I did not want to watch this film, I thought it was going to be boring and the same old thing. It is quite entertaining, not brilliant, mind you, but a decent romantic comedy that you can actually watch with a guy (well, with some of them at least).
The main character is more or less like all the romcom heroines, cute, nice, a bit crazy and misunderstood by her mom.
She has the most amazingly good-looking neighbour who is addicted to one night stands, but of course, deep down he is a carebear and is just looking for the right girl.
The plot is fun, no shocking twists at all, but I felt a lack of chemistry between the main characters. They are both good but there was really no tension there.
It is worth a try, I did enjoy it but I don't see myself watching it over and over again

From Prada to Nada [DVD]
From Prada to Nada [DVD]
Dvd ~ Camilla Belle

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny adaptation of Sense and Sensibility, 6 Mar. 2012
This review is from: From Prada to Nada [DVD] (DVD)
This is not the best movie ever, but it is good fun nevertheless. It is a very peculiar adaptation of Sense & Sensibility, the beloved novel by Jane Austen. That is why I bought it, as I do not mind watching versions of Austen's novels.
It is not as good as the Emma Thompson movie or the BBC series but it is ok.
The sisters here are rich girls, one much more spoiled than the other. Their father died and her secret step-brother and his horrible wife kicked them out of their life of luxury. They have no other choice but to go live with their aunt in a Hispanic hood full of stereotype characters.
The script could be better and there are some characters that required a bit more of screen time. Some plots go by so fast they don't make too much sense and the whole Edward part of the story was way to unrealistic.
The sisters are ok, I liked the spoiled one better, her story makes more sense, the other is way too perfect to be real.
It is an ok movie for a night with friends or your sisters and some popcorn or Mexican food.

Runelight
Runelight
by Joanne Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars I need the third book !!!, 31 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Runelight (Hardcover)
I bought Runemarks because I was bored and I wanted to read something and I didn't have great hopes but I was surprised by it. The book is great and the story is just fantastic. So I bought Runelight before I finished Runemarks, because I knew I wanted to read more about these characters.
Three years have passed since the last chapter of the previous book. The gods and the folk are suffering from the consequences of what went on at Hel's kingdom. Maddy is not the main character here, she shares the spotlight with Maggie, another girl that will have to learn abour her true origin.
This book shows us more about the characters, although some gods don't say much apart from: Can I hammer him? Can I hammer him, now?
It is full of adventure and love (although not in the traditional sense, there is no traditional love story here). And it is funny, it is. Some of the dialogues are witty and I couldn't keep a straight face when Loki was annoying Sif or when Mjolnir comes back from the stomach of the Snake to torment Thor (and the rest) with his opinions and personality.
Loki gets beaten, bullied, threatened, used as bait, chained, lost, insulted and almost everyone wants him dead and yet he remains the best character in the book. He is just too much fun to read, the chapters without him are just not as good.
I really need the third book to be published (the sooner the better), as I will miss these characters too much once I finished the last page (I still have 5 more pages to read).

Runemarks
Runemarks
by Joanne Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 31 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Runemarks (Paperback)
I have no idea why it took me so long to finally buy this book. I thought it was a children's book or one of those teen sagas so popular nowadays. This is a great book, suitable for kids and teens as well, but full of great characters and norse mythology.
I have always love these stories, Odin, Loki, Thor...but the new characters the author has created for this book are just as great.
I was transported into a world of magic and runes. I loved the way the author has filled the pages with dialogues and how the language seems modern and old at the same time. I can tell that she had a lot of fun while writing it.
Loki is a fantastic character, both devious and funny, too intelligent for hiw own good, driven into crazy and dangerous situations. You are on his side even when his motives are somewhat shady sometimes.
Maddy is a great heroine, she is not shy, torn by love or full of angst. She is brave, strong and she fights, trying to understand what is going on and where she fits in the story of her own life.
An amazing book, I bought the second part even before I finished this one.

SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE S5830 UNION JACK BACK COVER WITH SCREEN PROTECTOR BY CELLAPOD CASES

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and solid, 1 Jan. 2012
It is a nice cover, it is solid, not a gel or silicon case, but it is not heavy. It fits nicely my Samsung Galaxy ACE and it has save it already from a nasty fall.

Downton Abbey - Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Downton Abbey - Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville
Offered by The Bookstop

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic series, 1 Jan. 2012
This box set is a perfect gift for any period drama lover. Both series 1 & 2 of Downton Abbey are fantastic and I only wish it could also have the christmas special as well.
I bought it and I am quite happy.
The bonus material is ok, the commentary of episode 1 of series 2 is actually funny and interesting for fans of Downton Abbey.
It also includes some deleted scenes from series 1 & 2.
All in all a good box set.
I love the series, it has a modern perspective and pace but it is a great period drama. Time flies in this series, but there is a bit of everything in it: romance, scandal, heartbroken ladies, war, death, and the Spanish flu.
There are plenty of likeable characters upstairs and downstairs.

Language information: options are only English with or without English subtitles, there are no other language options available in this particular box set.

Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD]
Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the first series, 31 Dec. 2011
I love Downton Abbey, it is a great period drama written from a modern perspective. All the characters are interesting and I simply loved the perfect 2-hour christmas special, it was a gift for the fans and a lot of fun.
Great actors, the main couple and the amazingly good Maggie Smith shine as bright as ever.
Michelle Dockery (Lady Mary) is unique in so many ways, love her eyes and the way she tells things with them.
To wait now so many months to have the third season seems like torture, but I am sure it will be worth it.

SAMSUNG S5620 MONTE PURPLE GEL COVER CASE WITH SCREEN PROTECTOR BY CELLAPOD CASES

5.0 out of 5 stars It looks great on my telephone, 6 Mar. 2011
I have bought a red case and this one, and the purple one looks great on the phone, is a perfect fit for my Samsung Monte (Onyx) and the material is not annoying.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9