Profile for Sean Fowler > Reviews

Content by Sean Fowler

Sean Fowler "bugblatter" (London UK)

Bakaware Black or Gold Protective Spark Guard / Screen / Fireguard (Gold, Medium: Length:61cm / Width:10cm / Height:61cm)
Offered by S&MC Supplies

3.0 out of 5 stars The gold version is mostly black, 17 April 2016
We ordered the gold version. Unlike the picture (which I assume was photoshopped from the black version) the fireguard only has a gold surround and handle. The mesh and the bottom part of the frame are black. It still looks ok but it's not what we wanted; I specifically bought this one because it was one of the few with a bronze/gold mesh, or so we thought. We'll probably keep it due to a lack of suitable alternatives.

Logitech G930 Wireless Gaming Headset for PC
Logitech G930 Wireless Gaming Headset for PC

1.0 out of 5 stars No good on Windows 10 or the PS4, 25 Dec. 2015
Bought in the sales but returned as not even worth the reduced price.

It says here that it works with the PS4, but it's so quiet it's unusable and there's no way to make it loud enough. You might just about get away with using it just for chat, not sure, but forget the in-game audio. From googling it this is a universal problem with the G930. Also Logitech don't officially support the PS4, they just say the G930 works with it (and even that's buried in the FAQ).

On Windows 10 it seems not to recognise activity (e.g. talking) and keeps switching itself off after 15 minutes (giving my squadmates an unpleasant squawk in the ear as it does so). There's a hack to increase the period from 15 minutes to 9999 minutes but we shouldn't have to hack, and also that effectively disables what should be a useful power-saving feature. Again this is a standard problem with the G930.

I also got a lot of popping and distortion in the audio. That might be unique to my particular PC, I've no way to tell.

All-in-all if you want to use this on a PS4 and/or Windows 10 then you'd be better off finding something else.

Satechi® Bluetooth Button Series for iPhone 6 Plus/6/5S/5C, iPod Touch 5G/4G, iPad Air 2/Air/Mini/3/2/1, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4/Note 4/3/2/Edge/Pro/Tab Pro, Google Nexus 9/7/6/5, Moto X/G, LG G3, and more (Media Button)
Offered by SATECHI

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good with a couple of quibbles, 26 Jun. 2015
Very good so far. I've had one of their other BT remotes for a while now and it works very well and has great battery life; no reason to think this will be any different.

Couple of minor quibbles. I really don't like the steering wheel mount; way too bulky and doesn't look nice on the wheel. Also I keep catching it when I turn the wheel more than 90 degrees.

Secondly the adhesive pad, which is how I've ended up securing it, covers the battery cover. If it does indeed last 2 years on that battery then it's not so bad, but having to unstick it and then get a new pad seems a little excessive to replace a battery.

Not worth marking it down though, and with the adhesive mount it really does look nice in the car.

Of course there's the fact you have to press it to wake it, but I'm used to that with the other remote and it's no great hardship; you quickly get used to it.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Pitiful, 11 May 2014
It's not often I write a review, but people need to be warned!

This thing is hopeless. The instructions are meaningless pictures; it's like trying to decode hieroglyphics. There's a written manual available from the Stanley site but this should be included with the package.

After following the instructions it's just plain unreliable. I can use AC detection all around a mains socket (after first calibrating it away from the mains socket) and sometimes it finds something and sometimes it doesn't. Also according to the FatMax no wires go to my mains sockets, which seems unlikely unless the house was built by Nikola Tesla.

Reading reviews around the net It's not just me; in fact this is only site I've seen with any ratings above one star.

I bought this to prevent me drilling through a mains cable. It won't do that. It's going back.

BLUElight SAD Light Box. VAT Free for S.A.D Sufferers
BLUElight SAD Light Box. VAT Free for S.A.D Sufferers

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 15 Dec. 2011
I got this a bit cheaper than it is now; the price seems to have increased (I reckon they're now charging VAT on it).

I've used the Philips one previously and if you can get that for close to the same price then I'd do so; however this one works very similarly and after a month or so of use the battery life is still fine. I do make a point of running it down a fair bit regularly rather than leaving it charging constantly; the latter kills lithium batteries.

TRIXES Wireless Internet USB Adaptor WiFi Dongle 150Mbps For Windows 7 / XP / Vista
Offered by Digiflex

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't play nice with ZoneAlarm, 2 July 2011
ZoneAlarm blocks the driver installation.

Turning ZA off doesn't work; you have to uninstall it. Then install the drivers, then you can reinstall ZA.

This was on Windows 7 64-bit but I don't think it's limited to that OS.

Not too difficult if you know how to get it working; I didn't and it took a lot of research to get it sorted.

Hope this helps someone.

Good-Bye, Mr Patel
Good-Bye, Mr Patel
by Anil Kumar

5.0 out of 5 stars May cause side-effects..., 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Good-Bye, Mr Patel (Paperback)
This is the story of how a man came to be the man he came to be. It's auto-biographical but it's not an autobiography. The author weaves the disparate, non-linear threads of his life into an eleoquent tapestry of his personal spirituality.

I'm by no means a spiritual man but I can certainly appreciate the underlying philosophy, and it's a fascinating journey from humble beginnings to wealth that's measured not in money or status but in a sense of inner peace.

Although I've given 5 stars please regard it as a 4.9. The pursuit of perfection is a journey, not a destination. Only when you reach the top of the hill can you see the mountain you have yet to climb. By giving a score of 4.9 I encourage the author to strive further in the sequel, that I may give it a score of 4.99.

But beware; if you read this book you may end up speaking like this. You have been warned! :o)

Aten CS1784 4-Port USB 2.0 DVI KVMP Switch with Audio Support
Aten CS1784 4-Port USB 2.0 DVI KVMP Switch with Audio Support

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly excellent, 14 Aug. 2010
There are a couple of issues of which potential purchasers should be aware.

See my review of the 2 USB port version: Aten CS1782 2-Port USB 2.0 DVI KVMP Switch

Basically your keyboard and mouse will function as a bog-standard keyboard and mouse, i.e. no button customisation, media keys etc. unless you plug them into the normal USB ports. If you do that then you can't use the keyboard to switch between machines.

Overall I still recommend the product as I'm not aware of anything better out there.

Aten CS1782 2-Port USB 2.0 DVI KVMP Switch
Aten CS1782 2-Port USB 2.0 DVI KVMP Switch
Offered by Fuzion

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly excellent, 14 Aug. 2010
I bought this in March 2010. This is one of very few KVMs targetted at home users rather than the enterprise. I expect this market segment to grow as more and more of us have multiple machines, but for now the choice is very limited.

The good:

- Switches very quickly; about a second

- Flexible; can switch just the USB and leave the video, keyboard, mouse etc. where it is

- No loss of picture quality. I'm using long USB and DVI leads and don't get any drop-outs

The bad:

- When you plug a keyboard or mouse into either the keyboard or mouse USB inputs it seems to mess them up in that my Logitech software doesn't detect them. This is very annoying because none of the special features work and I can't customise my mouse buttons. Almost a deal-breaker. If you plug them into the ordinary USB ports then you don't get this problem, but then you can't use the keyboard to switch between machines, which is also very annoying. In the end you have to choose between annoyances

- When you plug the mouse into the mouse USB input you get some serious lag, and if you move the mouse too fast it gets very jerky and much of the intended movement is lost. It's not too serious in normal use but hopeless for gaming. You can plug the mouse into one of the normal USB ports and that sorts it out. However if you have a single wireless receiver for both keyboard and mouse, as I have, then see the previous point (i.e. can't use the keyboard to switch machines)

- Firmware update only through the serial port. Who has one of those these days?

- I mention in the plus points that you can switch certain things and leave others where they are. Unfortunately the particular things I'd like to switch on their own can't be, so this feature is inly occasionally of use to me

I should mention that I haven't used the audio features at all so I can't comment on how well they work.

I did a lot of research before buying this and it was really the only option for me. There are some serious annoyances with it but I don't think anything else available at the time would have worked as well for me. I don't know what new products have come out in the meantime, but discounting those this is still the one I'd buy.

Black Hard PU Leather Case for PANASONIC LUMIX LX3, LEICA D-LUX,Canon Powershot SX210,S90 S95 Digital Camera as DMW-CLX3.
Offered by BV-electronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good for £18, 19 Aug. 2009
The official case is around £80; cheapest I've seen is £65. To me that's a blatant rip-off.

I received this case today and the quality seems very good; nice and rigid, good stitching.

The description is inaccurate as you can't use the camera when it's in the case and there's no hole for the tripod. I think they mistakenly lifted those bits from the blurb for the official case. Not a big deal to me.