Profile for Shady Tree > Reviews

Vicks First Defence Micro-Gel Nasal Spray 15ml
Vicks First Defence Micro-Gel Nasal Spray 15ml
Offered by ArryBarry

3.0 out of 5 stars Never again, 28 Sept. 2017
Have no idea if this will stop my lurking cold developing but I've used this spray twice now and never again. Remember doing somersaults in the swimming pool and getting faceache from water going up your nose? Well multiply that feeling tenfold and that's what this spray feels like. The first time, I followed instructions and did "two to three puffs". Admittedly I did make the mistake of gently breathing through my nose afterwards. It felt as if I'd shot hydrochloric acid up my nose - so much for a "slight stinging" - then immediately felt as though I'd shoved a knitting needle into my sinuses while punching myself in the eye. The pain then spread to my temple and gave me a banging headache.

Stupidly, I used the spray again at bedtime, but this time only one gentle spray with my head tilted forwards. This didn't make a blind bit of difference but to be fair the headache didn't last as long.

If my cold doesn't develop it'll almost be worth it, but if it works I can only assume that it's because the spray is perhaps pure chlorine. The bottle will be consigned to the back of the cupboard and I'll try Boots' own next time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2017 9:17 AM BST

B&O PLAY by Bang & Olufsen Beoplay E4 Advanced Active Noise Cancelling Earphones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but pricey, 10 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Typically for B&O, these active noise cancelling earphones are beautifully presented and gorgeous looking. I sometimes suffer from sensory overload so to be able to shut the outside world out with these is a godsend. They come into their own on a plane or train, shutting out the engine noise effectively but with no perceptible difference to the sound of whichever music you're playing. They managed to effectively bring the noise of thirty screeching teenagers on a tube train down to a bearable level. If you do need to hear announcements etc. there is an over-ride switch.

Compared to earlier Beoplay earphones, the battery/ANC box is larger and a more clunky rectangle than the earlier round box, and it is surprisingly low on the cable so nearer the jack plug than expected. The cable itself is sturdy and wonderfully tangle resistant, unlike my cheaper earphones that seem capable of tangling at molecular level when unattended. The earbuds are comfortable and lightweight while beautiful to look at. I have only used them while sitting, so can't comment on cable noise while exercising.

Sound quality is surprisingly tinny at the top end, and with less bass by default than my much cheaper Sennheiser earbuds. You can rectify this to a point by using the equalizer function in Spotify, for example, after which classical music sounded superb. I still found Fleetwood Mac's vocals rather thin sounding but not disturbingly so.

Despite the beautiful design and premium presentation, I'm not convinced I could ever justify £299 on earbuds, but if and when the price drops more in line with earlier models, these are worth getting.

Aidapt Deluxe Weekday Pill Box (Eligible for VAT relief in the UK)
Aidapt Deluxe Weekday Pill Box (Eligible for VAT relief in the UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value and very useful., 24 Jun. 2017
Great - helps me remember whether I've taken all my daily meds. If your meds need to be taken 3 times a day (or all look similar) you might want one with "morning", "midday" and "evening" sections, but if like me your morning meds are easily identifiable, it's perfect. Nice snap-shut compartments and braille days of the week.

Umbra Trigem 3 Tier Jewelery Stand, White/Nickel
Umbra Trigem 3 Tier Jewelery Stand, White/Nickel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 24 Jun. 2017
Solidly built, stylish and efficient. Tall enough for long necklaces and stores a lot of jewellery without taking up too much space on the dressing table. Very pleased with this.

Real Techniques 4 Miracle Contour Wedges
Real Techniques 4 Miracle Contour Wedges
Offered by Cost-Dropper

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for eyes and around the nose, 24 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another great product in the brilliant Real Techniques range, these little blenders are soft enough to use dry or damp. They are perfect for blending foundation, concealer or CC cream in smaller areas like under eye or around the nose. Easily washable, quick drying, and small enough to fit in a little makeup bag. I have a CC cream that's slightly too thick to blend easily with my fingers, but using it with one of these solves that problem for a flawless, perfectly blended finish. Highly recommended.

Rimmel London Nudes Calling Magnif'eyes Eye Palette 7 g
Rimmel London Nudes Calling Magnif'eyes Eye Palette 7 g

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value and nice shades, 26 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A lovely selection of shades in a robust case, complete with small mirror. Excellent value for money but obviously the quality suffers a little compared to premium eyeshadows. The eyeshadows are a little bit flaky, don't blend perfectly and the applicators included are very thin foam, quite hard and tend to drag the skin a little. With a decent brush these are better and they do stay on well. Great for teenagers; if you have more mature skin you may want to pay a bit more for a higher quality product.

Silentnight Bounceback Mattress Topper - Double
Silentnight Bounceback Mattress Topper - Double

5.0 out of 5 stars Super soft and comfortable, 9 Feb. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a brilliant mattress topper for under £30. Soft, thick and comfy, it's transformed our sofa bed mattress and made it padded and cosy. It's not so thick that you struggle to fit a sheet over it, and the elastic straps stay on with no problem.

Comes in a nice zipped storage bag for when it's not in use. Highly recommended.

Baylis & Harding Freesia Blossom & Pear Anti Bacterial 300ml Hand Wash
Baylis & Harding Freesia Blossom & Pear Anti Bacterial 300ml Hand Wash
Offered by Yankee Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too drying - lovely subtle smell., 25 Jan. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I always have a bottle of B&H handwash in my bathroom but hadn't tried this fragrance. This is more blue than it looks in the photo, but the colour looks lovely with the silver mosaic logo.

Without a UV light I can't confirm whether this really does kill 99% of bacteria but unlike many antibacterial handwashes it's not overly drying. A very pleasant smell, quite subtle. It's not as moisturising as the Almond, Silk and Jojoba handwash but fine for use in the kitchen.

I deducted a star for temperamental pump mechanism which seems to be sadly common in Baylis & Harding bottles. I got this one to work eventually after some fiddling but their pumps are always hit and miss.

Weleda Birch Body Scrub 150 ml
Weleda Birch Body Scrub 150 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Gentle but refreshing., 8 Jan. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like Weleda products as they never irritate my sensitive skin. This body scrub - more polish than scrub, to be honest - is no exception. It's chock full of plant extracts and essential oils, and the little carnuba and beeswax "pearls" feel as gentle as microbeads but without the awful environmental impact.

The Grapefruit and Cypress oils along with the Birch give a lovely fresh botanical smell with a hint of citrus - very refreshing for a morning shower but in a creamy and mildly moisturising format. Despite the addition of apricot kernel oil, the scrub doesn't leave an oily sheen on your skin but at the same time is non-drying. Unlike many shower products this neither irritates my slight eczema nor does it leave my skin dry, tight and itchy so no need to slap on body lotion post-shower.

Lovely gentle body scrub - I will be ordering more.

Salter Cook Bluetooth Kitchen Scale, Integrates with Salter Cook App, Follow Recipes and Weigh Ingredients, Stylish Kitchen Accessory with Digital LED Display, Measure in Metric or Imperial Weight and Volume for Liquids with Aquatronic Feature - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely scale, unnecessary bluetooth connectivity., 6 Jan. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These replaced an ancient set of manual scales which would only zero if the bowl was very light. The Salter scales are very sleek, light, easy to store, and will return accurately to zero even with a large, heavy ceramic mixing bowl. This is perfect for baking even large batches. If not using the Bluetooth connectivity, there is no perceptible lag between adding ingredients and the figure appearing on the scale.

The scales came with batteries included and are perfectly simple to use as a standalone set of scales; touch button for both "on" and "zero" and the other button to change between ounces, grammes and fluid measurements. Accuracy is brilliant for both solid and liquid ingredients and the scale's sleek polished surface makes it a doddle to wipe clean.

The bluetooth connectivity could be a useful feature if the app was more intuitive. When using the bluetooth there is a lag between adding ingredients and the weight appearing, which makes it easier to add too much then have to remove some weight. The ios app will only install on a device using ios 9 or above, so I couldn't use it on my old but perfectly functioning iphone. When I installed it on my ipad I found it unnecessarily complex and a bit clunky. Yes, it has some recipes pre stored but these are different from my trusted Delia and Mary Berry recipes. I did try to store my own recipe on the app but it just seemed full of unnecessary steps and I couldn't find my way through it intuitively. Eventually I was still only consulting the recipe book and using the scales alone so decided that for me, the app - and therefore the Bluetooth function - is an unnecessary complication when actually all I wanted was a decent set of digital scales.

So a lovely set of scales but pricey at almost £80 if you don't want the over-complicated app connectivity.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14