Profile for Miss T. R. Snook > Reviews

Content by Miss T. R. Snook

Miss T. R. Snook "Tiffa (:" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Apollyon (The Fourth Covenant Novel) (Covenant Series)
Apollyon (The Fourth Covenant Novel) (Covenant Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 7 Sept. 2017
4.5/5 stars!

There’s just something about Jennifer L. Armentrout’s writing that draws you in, and completely takes over your brain. I’ve found that whilst reading her books, I’ll think of nothing else but the words I’m reading and the story I’m engrossed in. And even when the book ends, it’ll still take up residence in my thoughts, and the Covenant series is no exception. This series is incredible, the characters loveable and wonderfully developed, and the writing beautiful and full of depth. I have yet to come across a book by Jennifer L. Armentrout that I didn’t love, and I’m pretty sure she could write something ridiculously stupid and I’d still love it because she wrote it. Does that make sense? I hope it does!

Alex’s devotion and love for her family and friends is something that I’ve always loved about her character, and it was in full force in Apollyon. If I’m being perfectly honest, I kind of liked it when she was connected to Seth and ‘Evil Alex’; she was so sassy and bad ass. I did not however, like how she used the phrase ‘My Seth’ so often, it was really quite creepy and started to get rather irritating after about the 50th time it was used. Aiden’s character was as awesome and as kickass as he has been from the very beginning, and his devotion and loyalty to Alex whilst she was evil (and afterwards) was beautiful. And lastly, the side characters in this story really came to life in Apollyon. Instead of just playing in the background, they came to the forefront and all of them shone and had a lot more depth than in the previous books, which I really loved. It was great to get to know these characters better and see more of their personalities shine through.

Overall, Apollyon was a fantastic book that I loved so much. The only thing that stopped this book from receiving a 5/5 star rating was the fact that the middle of the book dragged just a little. I understand that there had to be a bit of down time for the characters, but compared to the beginning and the end of Apollyon, it seemed a little slow. Other than that however, it was a really brilliant book with lots of action and suspense. The ending killed something inside me, and had me in a flood of tears. I’m dying to find out what will happen in the final instalment, but I’m also a little terrified that it won’t end the way I hope it will. I guess there’s nothing else I can do but buy the final book and see for myself.

Deity (The Third Covenant Novel) (Covenant Series)
Deity (The Third Covenant Novel) (Covenant Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 4 Sept. 2017
4.5/5 stars!

I swear these books just keep getting better and better! Once again I was sucked right into the storyline, and pulled along in the whirlwind that is the Covenant series. Jennifer L. Armentrout is a freaking writing genius - she can create such amazing worlds and characters that are just down-right incredible. I can’t praise her writing more, and if you’ve not read anything by her yet, shame on you! I’m not saying Deity was perfect; it had some aspects that irked me a little bit, such as the book tended to run away with itself a little when talking about the Gods, and the mythology aspects were a little confusing. I found that it didn’t really explain these overly well and it left me wondering what was going on at times, but other than that it was absolutely fantastic.

Alex is probably one of my favourite heroines that I’ve read about recently, I find it a little difficult to put into words how awesome she really is. I think it must be the sass she has and the way she talks, some of the things that come out of her mouth make me laugh so much. I just can’t help but love her character. Moving on to Aiden - oh Aiden! where to begin? He has quickly become my favourite love interest once again. I seem to be yo-yoing between which Team I currently reside on, and I’m now firmly on Team Aiden and I’m hoping that it’s where I’ll stay. Aiden is sweet, sexy, caring and downright swoon-worthy. Yes, I used the expression swoon-worthy, it was needed! And finally, Seth...It’s so sad, but in Deity I started to really dislike his character. He was controlling and rude and lied way too much. The attributes that I loved so much in the previous book no longer seemed to be there, and I started to find him annoying. I know I loved him in Pure, but it’s like he had a personality switch, or the whole thing was just an act. Where was the character that I loved so much?

Overall, I loved Deity; it was a blooming fantastic book. I’m completely addicted to this series, every time I had a spare minute I picked up Deity, anxious to find out what would happen next. I’ve already started the next book, and I hope it’s just as awesome as the previous ones! All the books in this series were really close to being 5/5 star books, but as I’ve already mentioned I feel like some of the Gods and Mythology aspects could have been explained a little better. So as with the other books, I believe Deity well and truly earned its 4.5/5 star rating I gave it. I implore you once again, please pick up this series, you won’t regret it!

Half-Blood (The First Covenant Novel) (Covenant Series)
Half-Blood (The First Covenant Novel) (Covenant Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 1 Sept. 2017
4.5/5 stars!

Jennifer L. Armentrout is probably one of my favourite authors and I’ve yet to come across a book she’s written that I didn’t love and Half-Blood is no exception. I know a lot of people have compared this book to Vampire Academy, and I see where they’re coming from; there are quite a few aspects of Half-Blood that mimic it. However, there are also a lot of unique and diverse parts to this brilliant book which makes it its own. Jennifer L. Armentrout’s writing is always so exceptional and I can never find any proper fault with it.

The characters in Half-Blood are beautifully developed and full of life. Alex, the main character, is sassy and brimming with this self-confidence that you just can’t help but love. But she also has this insecure side, which she doesn’t like people seeing – which just adds this depth to her character that makes her seem more realistic. Aiden is the love interest in Half-Blood, and boy did I love him! He’s the forbidden fruit, the boy that Alex can never have – which just seems to make her want him more. The sparks and chemistry between the characters is incredible and so thick you can almost see it in the air. You can’t help but root for their relationship, even though it is doomed from the start.

The world building in Half-Blood is incredibly detailed and the detail put into creating the different settings is amazing. I loved reading Half-Blood, it was an addictive book to read - I couldn’t put it down! There were a few little aspects, such as a little bit too much of an information overload at times when it came down to talking about the Gods, which dragged a little bit for me. But overall, Half-Blood was a brilliant novel, and I believe it well and truly deserves the 4.5/5 star rating I gave it. If you love to read about mythology and gods then I’d really recommend you pick up this book and give it a go!

Pure (The Second Covenant Novel) (Covenant Series)
Pure (The Second Covenant Novel) (Covenant Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 1 Sept. 2017
4.5/5 stars!

Pure picks up not long after Half-Blood finishes, continuing on the story of Alex, and her fight against the Daimons. I loved how quickly I was able to get back into this series, the two books seemed to fit together seamlessly, leaving no confusion, or wonder about what I might have missed out on. I have to admit, on more than one occasion I cried whilst reading Pure, and that doesn’t usually happen to me that often when reading – so it must be a brilliant book! Jennifer L. Armentrout’s writing is as beautiful and extremely incredible as always and I found myself well and truly engrossed in Pure and found it rather difficult to put down.

Alex’s character is back, and even better and more developed than the first book, which I didn’t think was possible! She has this air of vulnerability that wasn’t present before – which I assume is to do with the events of the end of the first book. She was still just as kick-ass as in the first novel though, which made the entire book extremely enjoyable. Aiden’s character wasn’t as swoon worthy as he was in the first book, he turned harsh, and although you can tell he still cared about Alex, he seemed to be doing everything to pretend that he didn’t, which just made me sad that their situation could be different. And finally I’d like to mention Seth, I don’t think I talked about him in my first review because there wasn’t a whole lot to say about him. However in Pure, he really came out of the corner and was in full force with his personality! I think I may have officially turned from team Aiden to team Seth, because BOY was he awesome. Seth is full of self confidence and is just pure yummy. The heat and sexual tension between Alex and Seth set the air on fire; I think I may officially be in love with him.

Overall, Pure was a brilliant sequel to Half-Blood, and was just as good, if not better, than the first book. Pure most definitely didn’t suffer from second syndrome like some books do and the storyline was brilliant and it kept me on my toes, wondering what would happen next. So much action and passion were weaved into this book that I was blown away by it. It well and truly deserves the 4.5/5 star rating I gave it. If you haven’t already started this series, then I implore you – pick up the first book, you won’t be disappointed!

Paper Dandy's Horrorgami: 20 Gruesome Scenes to Cut and Fold
Paper Dandy's Horrorgami: 20 Gruesome Scenes to Cut and Fold
by Marc Hagan-Guirey

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 23 Oct. 2015
Paper Dandy’s Horrorgami is a creepy and beautifully done kirigami project book with 20 different types of scenes mimicking graveyards and howling wolves to keep any horror fan absorbed for hours. The designs range from more easy projects to much more complex and time consuming work. The only tools you need to start working in this fabulous book are a craft blade, a cutting mat and a metal ruler. (All of which I brought for a couple of quid each on Amazon!) The pictures are clear and beautifully done, with photos of what the finished project will look like at the end which is a really brilliant and wonderful extra to add a finishing touch to the book.

The only two issues I’ve had so far with the book are that I found it quite hard to remove the scenes from the book to cut them out. I had to carefully use my knife to cut the page from the book in fear of ripping the page when trying to remove it. I also found that although the instructions were long, they weren’t as easy to follow or as detailed as I’d hoped. This is all well and good for someone who’s being working with kirigami before, but as a newbie to the craft, I was rather confused and worried I’d cut the wrong parts! I think it would have been a lot easier to follow if the instructions were shorter and simpler so people at different levels of crafting could follow.

Overall, I’ve loved this book, it’s a brilliant way to keep my brain and hands occupied and while away the hours. I’m not particularly skilled at cutting curves yet, but I’m definitely going to keep practicing and hope to get a whole lot better. You can easily photocopy the scenes so you can freely mess up without worrying about spoiling the whole scene as well. The scenes are printed singularly on white card which is easy to cut and fold making the whole process that much easier. Although the card is thick, it can get a little flimsy when you’re cutting delicate parts out, so I’d be careful not to tear the tiny pieces, which I’ve done on more than one occasion. I’d recommend this book to any craft minded people out there, even to the ones who haven’t tried their hand at kirigami before; I know I’ve personally had so much fun working on these little projects!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Monster
Monster
by C.J. Skuse

3.0 out of 5 stars Creepy Thriller!, 12 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Monster (Paperback)
Monster is a hard book for me to review, mostly because I’m in two minds about what I really thought about it. On one hand it had a lot going for it, with a creepy setting and plot with some rather intense scenes and on the other, it was incredibly slow at the beginning! It took over 150 pages before anything remotely interesting happened, and I was bored to tears during that time and considered DNF’ing it on more than one occasion. However, when it did finally pick up, I found it rather enjoyable! There are quite a few twists and turns throughout Monster, and although it was a little predictable at times, I thought it was a rather fun and creepy stand alone novel.

Nash is our main protagonist in Monster, and I liked her character a little bit, but mostly I wasn’t that fond of her. She managed to keep a level head throughout most of the book, which I commend her for, but other than that I thought she was rather immature, and some of the things she said had me furrowing my brow and wondering what on earth I was reading. She was also a little too stuck up for my liking, and I wasn’t keen on how quickly she went from disliking and not wanting to associate with a bunch of the misfits to being all pally with them. The other characters in Monster were well developed and fun to read about and I really loved Maggie, Nash’s new friend, she was incredibly sarcastic and funny. There was also a little bit of romance between Nash and a local boy, Charlie, but I thought it was rather stale, and didn’t care for his character whatsoever – it was also a very bad case of instalove!

Overall, I did enjoy reading Monster when the action started to happen and the pace picked up. C.J. Skuse has a very funny and quirky writing style that I found fun to read, and I admit I chuckled quite a few times at some of the lines throughout Monster. However, the slow paced beginning really did drag down the rating for me, and I found it rather disappointing because of this. Also, some of the aspects throughout the book seemed a little too juvenile for my liking, and I was a little confused about some of the general things that were said. I will definitely be reading more from C.J. Skuse in the future as I’ve heard her other novels are really good, so I’m hoping I’ll enjoy them more than I did this one. And finally, I would recommend this book if you’re interested in thriller mystery novels, but please be prepared for a very slow beginning!

Secret Garden Artist's Edition: A Pull-Out and Frame Colouring Book
Secret Garden Artist's Edition: A Pull-Out and Frame Colouring Book
by Johanna Basford

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Stunning!, 1 Oct. 2015
Usually I review novels, so testing out and reviewing this gorgeous edition of the Secret Garden colouring book is a first for me. I’m hoping this review will go smoothly, but also bear with me as I’m new to this type of review. The Secret Garden, Artist’s Edition colouring book contains 20 of the most popular and gorgeous images from the original Secret Garden colouring book, mounted individually on thick, high quality crème coloured card that’s easily removable and pretty enough to frame if wanted!

I’ve been testing out a variety of different mediums on pages to see which suits best, and I personally think you can use anything you like! I’ve loved using fine liners to colour in the intricate designs, and the best part? Is that if you flip over the page, you don’t get any bleeding through the page onto the back, which has happened a lot with other colouring books I’ve tested out. I’m no pro at colouring by any means, it’s something that I’ve recently started doing again and I love it! The designs in this colouring book are stunning, and different enough that, although they link in together with the Secret Garden theme, they aren’t practically the same. The only small, tiny problem that I’ve noticed with the colouring book is that from where I’ve opened the book to colour, the spine has literally ripped open and split near the top. This may be just bad luck on my part, however if you’re particularly fond of how the book looks on the outside as well, I’d be careful just in case this may happen to you. I’ve posted a picture below.

Something that I thought was a brilliant touch to the colouring book was how easily and quickly the pages could be removed. I’ve often come across books with ‘easy tear’ pages, and when you try to remove the pictures, you end up creating a big rip right across the image you were trying to save! This, however, is not the case, and from what I can gather, the pages are glued to the spine for easy removal. Johanna Basford is an amazingly talented artist, and has created a gorgeous selection of pictures for people of any age and gender to colour in to their hearts desire. I love the simplicity of the design of the colouring book, no frills or extras, just beautiful content. If you’re a fan of any adult colouring books, or you’re looking to start using them, I’d definitely recommend this Secret Garden, Artist’s Edition colouring book – you won’t regret it!
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Secret Fire (The Alchemist Chronicles)
The Secret Fire (The Alchemist Chronicles)
by C. J. Daugherty

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 14 Sept. 2015
4.5/5 stars!
Where should I start with this book? From the very first chapter of The Secret Fire, I was completely and utterly hooked. The Secret Fire is told in the dual perspective of the male and female main characters, and as I’ve said a hundred times before, I love books written that way. I love how invested you can get into both characters lives, and see how they interact with each other. The paranormal aspects in The Secret Fire are also really unique and fantastically done and the whole feel of the book seems really authentic and it’s beautifully written. You also switch between the Paris and England settings in The Secret Fire and at first I thought this would be a bit confusing, but it’s actually very easy to follow and keep up with.

Taylor is the female protagonist in The Secret Fire and at first I wasn’t sure whether I liked her character or not. She seemed a little too reserved for my liking, but as I got further into the book you can see her character develop. She doesn’t change completely, but becomes more open and you start to realise that her character isn’t as uptight as she seems. One of the only problems I actually had with this book was that I thought Taylor’s character was a little bit too perfect and predictable, and although I did like her character, it irked me a little bit at how common her characteristics were. She’s a great character, don’t get me wrong, but she seemed a lot like a carbon copy of every female nerdy character in YA literature out there. There wasn’t anything, aside from the paranormal aspects, that really set her apart from other characters out there - but oh well!

Sacha is the male protagonist and I adored his character! Sure he was a little immature, but I loved his snarky and sarcastic nature and the deep affection he has for his family. I also loved Sacha’s sense of humour; some of the things he came out with throughout the book had me really chuckling to myself. You could definitely tell that Sacha used humour as a defence mechanism, but I actually really liked that about him. I loved the relationship between Sacha and Taylor, their friendship develops quite quickly, and there isn’t a hint of insta-love as the chemistry between the two of them builds slowly. I do wish however that there was a little bit more romance involved, I feel like there was this big build up to something and nothing really came of it in this book which was a shame, but hopefully in the next book there will be more. Mostly I just loved how their relationship wasn’t the main focus of the story, but worked alongside it and intertwined with the story beautifully.

Overall, I thought The Secret Fire was an absolutely brilliant novel! If you’re looking for a fast-paced, action-packed novel filled with humour, mystery, adventure, unique paranormal aspects and so much more, I’d definitely recommend picking up this book. C.J. Daugherty and Carina Rozenfeld write together so wonderfully and seamlessly and between the two of them they’ve created a nearly flawless and amazing book that’ll have anyone on the edge of their seat. It’s impossible not to get drawn into The Secret Fire and be dragged along for the ride with the characters, trust me; you’ll be dying to find out what happens next! I really can’t wait for the release of the second book in this series, because I know it’s going to be incredible – it’s just a shame there isn’t any information on it yet. Lastly, I just want to say a BIG thank you to C.J. Daugherty and Carina Rozenfeld for writing such a unique and fantastic book, please write more together!

The Lost and the Found: From a Zoella Book Club 2017 author
The Lost and the Found: From a Zoella Book Club 2017 author
by Cat Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!, 31 July 2015
4.5/5 stars!

Whilst reading The Lost and the Found, I constantly had a heavy and foreboding feeling in my chest- kind of like the feeling you get when you know something bad is going to happen in a movie because you’ve seen it a million times before. I knew from the off that this book wasn’t going to be sunshine and butterflies, and there was going to be some big twist/and or reveal, because hey – this is Cat Clarke we’re talking about! Cat Clarke’s books aren’t for the faint hearted, they’re gritty and realistic with the ability to really make you question life. I’ve now read three books by Cat Clarke, and I must say she’s an absolutely brilliant author that I can’t wait to read even more from in the future – keep on writing, Cat, you’re incredible!

Faith is our main protagonist in The Lost and the Found and I loved her right from the start. I felt like I could really connect with her character in a way that made reading The Lost and the Found even more exciting! Faith is a really realistic character, with quirks and faults that make her even more loveable. She’s an incredibly strong person, and I don’t know how she’s dealt with being in the shadow of her missing sister all her life. She’s grown up with a mother who’s a shell of her former self, and who’s not been emotionally there for her at all, yet she still manages to be selfless and is always thinking of other people. She’s truly an inspirational character. Faith is torn between being delighted that her sister has come home, and feeling there’s something just not right – I personally think she handled the whole situation a whole lot better than I would have!

The secondary characters in The Lost and the Found were also brilliant and really well developed. They all had different and separate personalities and traits and although I didn’t love them all, they were still all brilliant to read about. Laurel is Faith’s missing sister, and at first, I was sure I was going to like her character, but as the book went on – I really started to despise her. She seemed too sweet and kind, almost to the point where it was sickly, and although she had been through a lot, she really irritated me with her behaviour. I have to say I wasn’t that keen on Faith’s mum either, I thought she was way too interested in the publicity of the whole situation. She seemed to love it and was revelling in it, and I often thought that it was strange, and definitely not right for her to be taking such a shine to the spotlight in the light of things. The last character I would like to mention is Michel, I won’t go into too much detail about him as I don’t want to spoil anything, but I have to say he was one of my favourite characters! I thought he was a brilliant little extra in the book, with his quirky personality and caring and loving nature. He’s definitely a character that I won’t be forgetting any time soon!

Overall, I thought The Lost and the Found was absolutely superb, and I loved every second of reading it. It wasn’t perfect by any means, but then again, very few books are, and I thought the ending seemed a little too rushed for my liking which was quite disappointing. However the characters were brilliant, and the plot, although a little predictable at times, was remarkable as well. I believe The Lost and the Found well and truly deserves the 4.5/5 star rating I’ve given it, and if any of you are fans of Mystery novels, then I’d really recommend you giving this book a go! I’d also recommend Cat Clarke’s writing to as many people that’ll listen as she’s a fantastic author who manages to put a twist into any average novel idea and make it shine beyond measure.

Better Than Perfect: A Wild Cards Novel
Better Than Perfect: A Wild Cards Novel
by Simone Elkeles

3.0 out of 5 stars It Was Good, 24 Jun. 2015
Better Than Perfect was an interesting book, but I’m in two minds on how I really feel about it. On one hand Simone Elkeles’ writing is funny and interesting and wonderfully scripted, and on the other I really wasn’t sure how I felt about the romance and I definitely didn’t like one of the characters. I also didn’t realise that there would be so much football talk/football related content involved – or any at all for that matter. Too much sport mentioned in novels is a big turn off for me, as I’m really not a fan of it, so it usually just soars clean over my head and starts to irritate me. I usually tend to avoid these types of books because of this, but oh well! Better Than Perfect is told in the dual perspective of our male and female main characters, which I always love as you get to see both sides of the story and get to know both characters on different levels.

Derek is our main male protagonist in Better Than Perfect and I loved his character! He’s cocky, funny and sarcastic and doesn’t pretend to be anything but himself even when he’s being an ass. Even though his character is supposed to be a bad boy, I didn’t see him that way at all. Derek is a sweetie, he may be a bit hot headed, but he cares a lot and isn’t afraid to show it at times - through actions or words. The only thing about Derek that irritated me was his constant use of the phrase ‘Sweetie Pie, It drove me absolutely nuts! It was so degrading and cringe-worthy, and irked the hell out of me. Other than that small issue though, I really did love his character.

Ashtyn is our female protagonist in the novel, and to be perfectly honest, I didn’t like her one bit! Ashtyn is a tomboy who loves to play football, but also has a girly and sexy side to her; the fact that her personality was so different from everyone else was her only redeeming quality. But she was also bitchy, immature, selfish, cruel, rude, needy and clingy – everything she claimed she’d never be! Ashtyn ran so hot and cold throughout Better Than Perfect, one minute she’s saying how much she hates Derek, and in the same paragraph she’s daydreaming about kissing him. Make up your mind, girl! I hated how she thought she could change Derek, and how, even though he’s been nothing but honest with her, she acts like the news of him being a player is a shock.

Overall I enjoyed Better Than Perfect, but it was far from an amazing and flawless book. I wasn’t fond of the romance that occurred and the relationship Derek and Ashtyn had. There just wasn’t any chemistry between them and there was way too much fighting and bickering between the two of them to make it enjoyable. If Simone’s writing wasn’t as great as it was, and if I didn’t like Derek’s character as much as I did, I’m pretty sure I would have put down Better Than Perfect rather than finishing it. It’s hard to say who I’d recommend this book too, but I do know that I will be reading more from Simone Elkeles in the future, as I love her writing style and character development. I’m definitely looking forward to reading more from her; it’s just a shame that I wasn’t that keen on this particular book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9