Profile for Copycreate > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
My Favourite Nursery Rhymes
My Favourite Nursery Rhymes
by Tony Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pictures make traditional rhymes more entertaining, 3 Feb. 2011
Both my son (5) and daughter (2) love this book. Although the rhymes are the usual, everyday nursery rhymes, the pictures by Tony Ross make it a really lovely book to look at with children. All the favourites are here like Baa Baa Black Sheep, Incy Wincy Spider and Three Blind Mice as well as some of the more traditional ones that maybe don't get sung as much at baby groups these days like Ding, Dong, Bell and Old Mother Hubbard. The CD is great too, but to be honest the book has proven to be the main attraction for my two. My 2 year old loves the fact that she can recognise which song comes next using the pictures and can say whether she wants that one or to turn over to the next page. She'll sit through the entire book which is saying something given her usual concentration time for books and the fact that my son still likes it even though he's much older makes it useful for teatime distraction when they're both at the table.

SCIMITAR MUG TREE FOR 6 MUGS IN HEVEA Size 145x145x315mm
SCIMITAR MUG TREE FOR 6 MUGS IN HEVEA Size 145x145x315mm

5.0 out of 5 stars feels more expensive than it is, 3 Feb. 2011
I'm really pleased with this product. The thickness of the wood makes it look and feel like a far more expensive chopping board than in it. Handles on the side make it easy to lift up off the work surface and so far it's been easy to keep clean and hasn't stained. Great product at a great price.

4507999 Menu Verner Panton Egg Cups, Set of 4
4507999 Menu Verner Panton Egg Cups, Set of 4

4.0 out of 5 stars something a little bit different, 3 Feb. 2011
These are really good, colourful egg cups. They have silicon type covers that go over the eggs themselvves, which is useful if you're waiting for everyone to get to the table and want to stop breakfast going cold! My kids like the fact that we all have our 'own colours' but the designs are also stylish enough to be great for adults. Only very small criticsm is that the base of these egg cups is quite small so they're probably slightly less stable than the type with really large bases. Having said that, the bonus egg covers more than make up for that. All in all, a great product.

Plan Toys 34160 Assorted Fruit And Vegetables
Plan Toys 34160 Assorted Fruit And Vegetables

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves this, 2 Feb. 2011
My little girl is almost two and a half. She loves watching me cook and trying to help and particularly loves knives - but of course can do much with real ones unless we're holding her hands.

Bought this to try and give her some independence and she absolutely loves it. She loves cutting things up and feeding the bits to her dolls and monkey. Only thing is that its a shame the mushroom and banana don't come apart - once she's got the hang of cutting she sort of expected everything to work in the same way, but only small thing as all of it is so well made and attractive, plus comes with a lovely tray to carry it all on that really you couldn't get much better. Has definitely helped her knife control too!

HTC Wildfire Vodafone Pay As You Go
HTC Wildfire Vodafone Pay As You Go

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value and battery life, 2 Feb. 2011
My previous phone was a Palm Pre which I was given for free. Whilst it was great to have a phone for free, and it did get me addicted to e-mail and internet access via my mobile, the battery life on that phone was so poor that I literally couldn't get through the day without finding somewhere to charge up my phone. Turning on wi-fi was guaranteed to have the battery gone in a few hours so, despite the fact that I liked the screen and the push out proper keyboard, I reluctantly looked around for something else.

I chose the HTC Wildfire primarily because it seemed the best value for money. So far, I've been really pleased with it. The battery life seems amazing compared to the Palm. I can use the internet, check e-mails all day and have wi-fi permanently on and still not get close to running out within a normal day - although I must say I'm not a heavy calls user so it might be different if you're on the phone all through the day.

The screen is not as good as the palm - you get what you pay for, but its more the clarity of the text rather than the screen size itself, so it's still good for looking at websites.

The keyboard is a touch screen version which has taken some getting used to, and wouldn't be great for those with big fingers and thumbs as it would be hard to type accurately with any speed. However, you can turn it sideways for a larger keyboard and it does bring up suggested words in a similar way to predictive texts.

All in all, really satisfied, only loses out very slightly on the screen text quality.

The House That Jack Built
The House That Jack Built
Offered by docsmagic

5.0 out of 5 stars good for the whole family, 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The House That Jack Built (Toy)
I remember playing this as a child and wondered if I was buying it purely out of nostalgia for a time when children's toys were that little bit more straightforward. To my relief, however, both my son (5 3/4) and my daughter (2) love it. It's a simple game based on throwing a coloured dice to earn the right to build your house e.g. red = roof, yellow = door. It's one step up from the most simplest of this type of game as the fact that you need to throw a white to begin (and put your house on) involves a bit more waiting and patience. Good for teaching my daughter her colours... and teaching my son that you can't always win!

Orchard Toys Tell the Time
Orchard Toys Tell the Time

4.0 out of 5 stars good all-age appeal, 31 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Orchard Toys Tell the Time (Toy)
I asked someone to buy this for my Son for Christmas because he is in Year 1 (5 1/2) and working on telling the time at school. Like most of the other Orchard games, the premise is pretty simple - pick up a card, say the time on it and then whoever has that time (and picture) on their individual board shouts out 'Time!' until someone completes their entire board. Each card has a picture of an activity e.g. lunctime, bedtime and has the time in both digital and analogue. The fact that there are pictures means that my son can play at his level, telling the time on the analogue clocks but my 2 and a bit year old daughter can also join in using the pictures to match cards to her board instead.

This isn't the most exciting game for the children but it does help a bit with telling the time and is more fun than just drawing loads of clocks and getting your child to fill in the times (which is what his homework consists of!). Not sure how long I'll persuade him to read the times out for rather than memorising the pictures though...

Full Time: The Secret Life Of Tony Cascarino
Full Time: The Secret Life Of Tony Cascarino
by Paul Kimmage

5.0 out of 5 stars more than the usual football biography, 27 Nov. 2010
I actually bought this book because it was the book of the month on the mumsnet book club. I am a woman who likes football but have always felt in the minority so I was so shocked to see it on a website for mums that I came and looked it up. The reviews backed up what the reviewers on mumsnet said - that this is far more than your average run of the mill sports biography and, having read it, I can confirm they're right. Cascarino never played for a team I supported but the description of how it feels when you don't want to play, when you're facing the end etc. etc. are universal themes that every football fan wants to read about. A brilliant insight into the modern game.

Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader
Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader
by Anne Fadiman

5.0 out of 5 stars pure indulgence, 27 Nov. 2010
This is a book for book lovers that could just as easily be called a quirky book for quirky people. It is a book about liking books rather than actual, specific books. It is a collection of essays, written over a 4 year period, on subjects as diverse as combining book collections with a loved one (it took several years of marriage and a child before the author could contemplate this), discovering new words or correcting wrong ones or second hand books. Anyone who loves books, and loves the look of them, organising them, choosing them at length in bookshops or even, like the author as a child, building castles with them, will find something that resonates. Those who come from families where life is one continual quiz competition to see who has the superior knowledge on any given subject, where a trip to a restaurant is an excuse to proof read the menu or parental book collections are lovingly shared out by siblings will find even more of themselves reflected in the author's musings. It is a delightful love story that feels like pure indulgence. Easily read in one sitting but once I'd finished I wished I'd savoured it a bit more, an essay a day perhaps.

Spy Dog
Spy Dog
by Andrew Cope

4.0 out of 5 stars useful for getting young boys to love books, 25 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Spy Dog (Paperback)
My son loves being read to but as he gets a bit older - he's nearly 6 now - we struggle a bit to find longer books to read to him at bedtime that are 'cool' enough for his taste. He loves Roald Dahl but we've done all the ones that aren't too scary, and realy needed something else.

My son actually came across a Spy Pups (the second series where Spy Dog has puppies) first when he saw it at a school book fair but we're now getting through the original Spy Dog series.

Lara is no ordinary dog. The descendent of a very special space travelling dog, she has worked all her life as a special agent protecting Queen and country. Now she is living with her new adopted family but, even in retirement, can't shake of the mad professor that used to manage her. Inbetween kitting out the neighbourhood pets with gadgets and jet fuelled skateboards, she continually gets into scrapes that my son adores.

Great stories, well written and just the right length to read over a week of bedtime stories. Excellent for boys who love books but want to be 'cool'.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7