Profile for M. Cook > Reviews

Content by M. Cook

M. Cook (Kent, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
DBPOWER 600A Peak 16500mAh Portable Car Jump Starter Battery Booster Pack Power Bank with LED Torch for Laptop Phone Tablet and More
Offered by dvtecheu

5.0 out of 5 stars Product is very easy to use and looks and feels like a quality ..., 6 Jun. 2016
Ordered this because of a problem with my car draining its battery on a regular basis. Arrived very promptly (already charged up) and just as well. Have now used it several times on a 2014Ford Focus Ecoboost (which I have been told has a fairly hefty battery because of the stop/start technology) and it has started the car within a couple of seconds on every occasion, and with still plenty of juice left in the DB Power Jump Starter. On each occasion the car battery was almost completely dead. Product is very easy to use and looks and feels like a quality item. Comes in a neat case with a variety of connectors. Very pleased with this product so far.

Regatta Mens Thor III Full Zip Casual Fleece Coat Jackets S,M,L,XL,XXL,3XL
Regatta Mens Thor III Full Zip Casual Fleece Coat Jackets S,M,L,XL,XXL,3XL
Offered by Warwickshire Clothing

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Regatta Thor III 80 Fleece (Misc.)
Decent warm fleece.

Premier Workwear Men's Poplin Regular Fit Short Sleeve Formal Shirt, Blue (Mid Blue), Small (Manufacturer Size:15.5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough shirt, 1 May 2014
Nice fit and colour. Material seems a bit more comfortable than some of my other budget shirts. How well it will wear, only time will tell, but certainly pleased with it so far.

12x T0487 FCI Compatible Ink Cartridges to replace Epson T0487 (Contains: 1x T0481, 1x T0482, 1x T0483, 1x T0484, 1x T0485, 1x T0486)
Offered by First Call Inks

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, 11 Jun. 2011
After having bad experiences with other cheap alternatives, , I returned for a number of years to being robbed in broad daylight and once again paying the extortionate prices for the printer manufacturers own cartridges. Not any more. What an excellent product this is, and one which I can highly recommend. I can't vouch for their lightfastness or other technical qualities as this is something that doesn't interest me. But what I can say is that I have been using them for a couple of years now without any occurences of clogging whatsoever (my main gripe with other cheap independent cartridges). Not only that, they seem to print well on all the various papers I have tried them with (including glossy photo).

Birds
Birds
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner, 11 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Birds (Audio CD)
Another winner from Bic. I didn't think she could ever top "Beautiful Collision", and to be fair, with this album she hasn't. However, it's extremely close, and considering BC is a masterpiece, that is still very high praise! There isn't a bad track on Birds, showing once again what a great songwriter she is. Beautifully sung vocals, touching and thoughtful lyrics, great melodies - it's all here. Fantastic, and already one of my favourite cds.

The House
The House
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure talent., 22 May 2010
This review is from: The House (Audio CD)
Katie Melua's fourth studio album, and her first away from the guiding influence of Mike Batt, a collaboration that has produced some fabulous music over the last five years. It seems this has been something of a double-edged sword for the artist. In my humble opinion she is a supremely gifted singer and no mean songwriter either, but her critics have always used the "Batt factor" as an excuse to undermine her worth. I hope I am wrong, but it seems to me she may have felt this a little too, grateful for the mentoring, musicianship and astounding song-writing talent of Mr Batt, but feeling in latter years that she still needs to prove herself as an individual. If that was the case, then it is a testament to her ambition and dedication that somebody who has already penned such heartbreakingly beautiful songs as "Faraway Voice", "Piece By Piece" and "I Cried For You" should still feel the need to prove her writing ability.
Melua's songs don't always grab one instantly. In fact I have initially dismissed several as duds. But it is always the same - after a couple of plays they begin to haunt my brain like some strange, beautiful ghost.
The House certainly hasn't let me down. In fact I think it is superb. Lyrically clever, haunting, diverse and full of subtle melodies, there is plenty here to please the old Melua fans, but enough diversification from her past style to gain many new ones (and hopefully some younger ones!) William Orbit's production is certainly evident, and some passages wouldn't be out of place in a club. I especially liked the little vocal quirks which are dotted throughout the songs, which only someone of Melua's talent and range could pull off effectively. In fact, in places it put me in mind of Kate Bush's vocal experimentation - and that's no bad thing.
You may not enjoy Melua's particular style, and that is down to individual taste. But for me this album proves there can be no doubt about her talent as a writer of songs.
You may suspect I am a fan of Katie Melua's music, and of course you would be right.
I for one hope that she keeps producing albums as good as "The House" (and her previous three albums) for many years to come. But whatever I say won't make any difference. You will either like something or you won't, and the only way to find out is to listen to it.
But in my opinion, pure talent, with or without Mr Batt.
Highly recommended.

Denby Imperial Blue Coffee Beaker Mug 10 cm
Denby Imperial Blue Coffee Beaker Mug 10 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice mug, 24 Jan. 2010
Decent mug, but then it should be for the price! Feels solid and durable, and has a very pleasing, quality finish.

Hi-Tec Men's Auckland WP Black / Grey 06534-080 10 UK
Hi-Tec Men's Auckland WP Black / Grey 06534-080 10 UK
Offered by glamour007

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, 24 Jan. 2010
Bought these for my elderly dad. He walks about ten miles per week, and loves them because they are so comfortable. Only time will tell how durable these are, but my old pair of Hi-Tecs are still going strong after about ten years.

A Plus De Cent
A Plus De Cent
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars More classic pop, 9 Nov. 2009
This review is from: A Plus De Cent (Audio CD)
Ten years after they first formed in 1986, the Popguns released this great album, which only strengthens their claim (or rather our claim - the fans) that they were the best band never to have made the big time. The musicianship has matured, as has Wendy's voice, but the core values of their great talent remain. Catchy, timeless pop tunes, expertly played, with the kind of lyrics that express what being young is all about. As far as I'm concerned, every track is a great one, but if I had to choose highlights, then it would be "Crazy", "Crushed", "Gesture",the heartfelt "Daybreak" and the enjoyable, fun cover "Can I Kick It".
What a simply great band. If you like Indie music from the 90s, especially with a female lead vocal, then this could be one for your collection.

Another Year Another Address - The Best Of The Midnight Years
Another Year Another Address - The Best Of The Midnight Years

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect, 4 Oct. 2009
I first heard The Pop Guns late at night listening to John Peel. Very few songs blow me away on the first hearing, but "Landslide" was one of them. They were a seminal band for me, so much a part of those golden days of my youth that listening to the songs now is uplifting and heartbreaking in equal measure, taking me back to a time when life was good, nothing ached, and I didn't have to shave my earlobes on a regular basis. It was a joy to recently find some old footage of the band on Youtube. Lucky me - because I saw them live several times, and I suspect like most of the guys in the audience, felt I was totally in love with the ethereal and talented Wendy Morgan. I took alot of photos back then and still have some of the band. Perhaps a lot of people would dismiss the Pop Guns as just another throwaway jangly guitar band, but they were much more than that. These songs are timeless, reflecting the intense emotions, introspection, angst and passion that go with being young, as well as the simple joy of it all, perhaps something that we don't fully realise until we get older and would give anything to go back. Even a lyric as prosaic as "drinking wine behind the tower block, with someone you really like" has the power to transport you back with aching nostalgia. And the tunes! Well-crafted, expert melodies that grab you and don't let go. Anyone who likes indie pop should have this band in their collection, at the very least the classic tracks "Landslide", "Waiting For The Winter" and "Because He Wanted To".
Enjoy. And thanks Wendy and the rest of the band - perhaps you failed to make the big time - but sadly, quality has never been any guarantee of success in this world. You can look back and know that you touched us in ways that a thousand other more succesful bands never have, and never will.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2010 7:13 PM GMT