Profile for Jeannie > Reviews

Content by Jeannie

Jeannie (UK)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars why only young skin?, 27 Oct. 2010
I bought this product and others from the amie range because I was looking for everyday treatments with fewer chemicals but without the higher price tag this normally entails. I think I've pretty much found what I'm looking for. I'm not in my teens but still found it great for my combination skin - sometimes I need to apply a bit more moisturiser afterwards, but no real complaint there. It has a nice smell, good consistency and goes on surprisingly light, leaving skin soft and clean.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2016 4:50 PM BST

Amie skincare spring clean cooling clay mask 75ml
Amie skincare spring clean cooling clay mask 75ml

3.0 out of 5 stars so-so product, 27 Oct. 2010
Its worth mentioning that this product has more chemicals that some of the other products by Amie - but this is stated on the tube. The smell is nice and the consistency is good, making its application very satisfying and soothing. One issue is that the tingle can often be more of a sting, especially if you've just used the scrub. However this is only brief and the face is left happy and refreshed. Particularly good for oily skin.

Amie skincare new leaf skin exfoliating polish 75ml
Amie skincare new leaf skin exfoliating polish 75ml

4.0 out of 5 stars almost nasty free & pretty good, 26 Oct. 2010
This product has a lovely smell and enough grainy bits to really give your face a scrub and leave it tingly fresh. Contents wise, its almost free from nasty chemicals. Maybe not great for very dry skins, but I never experienced any skin irritation, even when accidentaly put near my eyes which are super sensitive.

Evil Under The Sun [DVD] [1982]
Evil Under The Sun [DVD] [1982]
Dvd ~ Peter Ustinov

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous setting and ensembles!, 26 Oct. 2010
This was a favourite film of mine which I saw several times whilst growing up, and I decided to finally buy my own copy. Although the plot and lines are now far too well memorised, I still enjoy every watch. For me, the scenery is the main pull of this film. The locations they chose work wonderfully and the makers managed to pull them together well, despite them being spread across the island. Then, the costumes; Diana Rigg in particular has some stunning vintage gowns and beach-wear. A mention for the musical score is also necessary - as it helps to depict the era fabulously well - who can forget the orchestral climax at the end, as the accused descend the stairway in style!?! And then my favourite line 'your ensemble does absolutely nothing for you'. TRULLY FAB.

Good Bye Lenin! [DVD] [2002]
Good Bye Lenin! [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Daniel Bruhl

5.0 out of 5 stars my favourite German film, 20 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Good Bye Lenin! [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
I dabble a bit in foreign cinema - mainly as a lapsed linguist who is too lazy to read foreign literature! Inevitably there are dissapointments, but this certainly isn't one of them, which is why I was amazed to see so few reviews.
There are always tears when I watch this film - it is beautifully moving without trying to punch too high in the poignancy stakes. There is subtle humour and a sober yet up-beat look at a very significant period in German and World history. A wonderful watch.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2010 9:19 AM BST

The Story of India with Michael Wood: Complete BBC Series [DVD]
The Story of India with Michael Wood: Complete BBC Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael Wood is just brilliant, 9 Dec. 2009
I read somewhere that Michael Wood is the history teacher we all wish we'd had. I can only agree. He narrates so well, bringing everything to life with his boundless energy and exuberance, managing to convey the tragedy and glory of it all with real feeling and understanding.
I previously didn't know anything about India, nor can I say it was top of my list of things to learn. I bought this purely on the strength of Michael Wood's other series. Now, I can't express the sense of satisfaction I got from watching these episodes - you learn so much, and even after repeated viewings its still a joy. This series, like Wood's previous work, is not just conveying important history; its also an insightful travel series, a one man adventure, and ultimately a documentary about how people tick. Even purely on a visual scale this series astounds and fascinates - it says, be here now.

The Case of the Missing Servant (Vish Puri 1)
The Case of the Missing Servant (Vish Puri 1)
by Tarquin Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars a real imposter!, 9 Dec. 2009
I bought this book after reading a positive newspaper review, which highlighted its fun, up-beat nature. More than anything I bought it out of sheer curiousity, to see if the author could pull off what I, on the face of it, perceived to be a copy-cat venture. Surely the massive success of 'The No1 ladies detective agency' books had some kind of influence here?
However, even if they did, Alexander McCall Smith can rest easy. Mr Hall's style doesn't pull the reader in anywhere near as close as McCall Smith does. With only a few lines McCall Smith can paint a picture so vivid and so charming that suddenly Botswana is top of your holiday wish-list. With this book, I waited and waited for the charactors, and India itself, to become real to me, but I was left dissapointed. Whenever he uses Indian words or describes some part of Indian culture, it feels like he's just showing off his own knowledge rather than using it to enrich the story.

Junebug [DVD]
Junebug [DVD]
Dvd ~ Amy Adams
Offered by DVDBayFBA

3.0 out of 5 stars still better than a big budget movie any day, 2 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Junebug [DVD] (DVD)
Ok, so in some ways Junebug was perhaps just a little too subtle and too slow for my uneducated tastes - BUT it is superbly acted. Amy Adams does not disappoint, but there is so much good acting on display that maybe you are left with the feeling that the storyline somehow didn't match-up. The ending made me think of all the French films I made myself sit through for A-level - is that it?. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it and as stated I'm no film buff. Definitely give it a go.

Turn of Century Style : Home Decoration and Furnishings Between 1890 and 1910 (Moda Museum Booklets)
by Katie Arber

4.0 out of 5 stars scant, but good, useful illustrations, 2 Nov. 2009
This book was a lot slimer than anticipated, but its full of illustrations which makes it a useful book for those interested simply in interiors of the era, rather than lengthy historical explanations. I've managed to pull quite a few ideas from it - choosing modern products with authentic Edwardian design using this book as my guide.

Foot Of The Mountain
Foot Of The Mountain

4.0 out of 5 stars just short of 5 stars, 2 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Foot Of The Mountain (Audio CD)
I have to admit slight disappointment the first time I listened to 'Foot of the Mountain'. However, like previous A-ha albums, after just a few more listens I was hooked. Morten's voice is truly unique and I think this album is actually a better platform for his talent than Analogue was - but I'm a fan not an expert! Apart from the title track, standout songs are 'What there is', 'Shadowside' & 'Nothing is keeping you here' - beautiful tracks, all with that expansive, soaring scandanavian quality which makes their music so special. Its a shame all good things must come to an end.