Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer (England)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20

5.0 out of 5 stars My first introduction to Del Amitri, 5 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
Perhaps I'm rating this compilation on the Spectrum label to high, I wouldn't know yet. I've never listened closely to the music of Del Amitri, but I have always liked the two songs 'Nothing Ever Happens' and 'Always The Last To Know', and I bought 'The Collection' purely on the strength of those hits, and well, it was the only album of theirs in the shop. I do however love what I've heard here, and will be buying more. It's made me a fan, so that must say something about this 18 track album, which is a steal at the price. I don't know yet it if contains all the 'essentials', and judging buy a few of the reviews of this very website, it doesn't, but I'm looking forward to discovering them elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great collection at a budget price, 5 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Collection (Audio CD)
Yes, this is an unofficial collection on the Spectrum label and a definite money-spinner. I am a life long listener of Ocean Colour Scene, own all their studio albums and the official Songs For The Front Row - The Best Of compilation, but still think this is a worthwhile purchase.

I did feel cheated however, because I bought this primarily for the studio version of 'Robin Hood', my favourite song of theirs, but instead we have the 'live' version, recorded at the Royal Albert Hall, and this was available already on the official collection, that was annoying and I won't pretend otherwise. This is not the only live track on the collection, the other is their cover of The Beatles' 'Day Tripper', performed at the Electric Ballroom. I do think that this should have been clearly stated on the back.

Despite this, 'The Collection' isn't bad at all. True, it doesn't include all the hits and offers nothing particularly 'rare', but it gives the casual buyer to chance to own 'The Riverboat Song' and 'The Day We Got The Train', as well as highlights from their 1992 eponymous debut album to 1999's 'One From the Modern'. Casual listeners will appreciate being able to hear bits and pieces from all their '90s albums, as well as the compilation 'B-sides, Seasides and Freerides' (which is where the live version of 'Robin Hood' first appeared), and all the tracks are in handy alphabetical order.

'The Collection' is a good set of songs, and provides a good first album taster for those who don't have anything by Ocean Colour Scene, although do yourself a favour, if you like the great tunes you hear, do move onto the official releases.

The Films of Danny Dyer
The Films of Danny Dyer
by Jonathan Sothcott

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hand-book for Danny Dyer film fans, 2 Mar. 2015
As the title clearly states, this is not a biography of Danny Dyer, it's all about his movies. As it was only published in late 2013, it covers most of his titles, the good, the awful, and the sometimes excellent. Danny isn't the most versatile actor in Britain, but the characters he can play, he plays them well. I'll hold my hands up, he's one of my man crushes.

Authors Jonathan Sothcott and James Mullinger have done a great job in putting together what really is a definitive guide to Danny's film career. Danny himself contributed to the book, which is packed full of fascinating information and anecdotes from his co-stars and colleagues. Each film is dealt with in-depth, there's the basic information such as director, producer and cast, the plot, and also the critic's opinions, Danny's opinion, and a wealth of behind-the-scenes information such as how he got the part in the first place. From 'Public Traffic' (1999) to 'Vendetta' (2013), there all here.

The result is a very interesting read, and an insight into the British film industry in general. I have always enjoyed Danny's wit, and many of his quotes in here are priceless. If you're a fan of Danny Dyer the actor, and want to find out more about his films, this is the only book you'll ever need. 'The Films of Danny Dyer' is illustrated throughout with black and white photographs.

Blood Sweat And Towers
Blood Sweat And Towers

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Blood Sweat And Towers (Audio CD)
GREAT ALBUM, ONE OF MY OLD FAVOURITES

Shallow Grave
Shallow Grave
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Soundtrack to an indie classic, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Shallow Grave (Audio CD)
Danny Boyle's 1994 black comedy 'Shallow Grave' is one of my all-time favourite British movies, it starred Ewan McGregor and Christopher Eccleston as the male leads, and it's soundtrack is also worth checking out. Leftfield provide the haunting title theme, Simon Boswell provides atmospheric music, often mixing in sound bytes from the characters in the film, as well as golden oldies by Andy Williams and Nina Simone.

Track listing

8. Simon Boswell - A Spade, We Need A Spade
9. Simon Boswell - Shallow Grave, Deep Depression
10. Simon Boswell - Hugo's Last Trip
11. Andy Williams - Happy Heart

I Never Promised You a Rose Garden: A Short Guide to Modern Politics, the Coalition and the General Election
by John Crace

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 1 Mar. 2015
I was once quite passionate about politics, but now my interest is nowhere near as keen as it used to be. Personally, I don't like any of the mayor party leaders at the moment, and for the first time, I don't know who the hell I'm going to vote for in May, although I imagine in the end I'll stick to principles and vote for the party I've always supported, even if I don't rate the man at all. Nevertheless, this wonderful book by John Crace really entertained me, even if it just reminded me why I dislike Cameron, Clegg and Miliband so much, especially the first two.

Before the Poison
Before the Poison

5.0 out of 5 stars Marianne the great!, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Before the Poison (Audio CD)
How many times can you be amazed? It seems that you can purchase any album by Marianne Faithfull and you can guarantee that you are going to be in for a treat. I have quite a few, but not all of them, and even though some are weaker than others, at her worst, she still merits a four star release, from the albums I have anyway. 'Before the Poison', her 17th, released in 2005 is one of my all-time favourites.

The album boasts a string of high-profile collaborators, including PJ Harvey, Nick Cave and Damon Albarn, a great favourite of mine. Marianne's raw, powerful 'lived in' voice really is superb and the material is very strong. 'Before the Poison' is a beautiful dark masterpiece, and although, like so much good music, it went largely unheard in the UK, an album of this standard was too good to be sandwiched between the trashy pop-albums from lesser female 'talents' that the public were helping hit the charts anyway.

Vagabond Ways
Vagabond Ways

5.0 out of 5 stars Marianne's last album of the nineties, and it was a masterpeace, 1 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Vagabond Ways (Audio CD)
I can't understand how Marianne Faithfull, with her iconic status can allude chart success in Britain time and time again. Perhaps it's because people still associate her with her 'past' and problems, and maybe that has in someway overshadowed her expectational talents, but oh I hope not. This album, her last in the nineties didn't given grace the top 75, but 'Vagabond Ways' is a masterpiece, and would serve as a good introduction to her music.

Released in 1999, the album has moments that must be semi-autobiographical, the overall theme is very dark, and the songs, five of which she co-wrote, are mostly very interesting, delivered in that incredibly emotional and expressive voice. Some of the tunes here are reminisant of those on her first masterpiece 'Broken English' (which she has never bettered despite the stacks of great albums that have followed), like the stunning title track, and 'Incarceration of a Flower Child', a song written with by Pink Floyd's Roger Waters that tells the story of a poignant morning after. Speaking of song writing, Elton John and Bernie Taupin wrote 'For Wanting You', and Leonard Cohen penned 'Tower of Song'.

It troubles me that the likes of Britney Spears were storming the charts at the time, whereas this legend was being largely ignored, still whereas Marianne Faithful's chart days were well behind her, she was still making amazing, critically-acclaimed music that would put the cheesy 'pop singers' to shame. She obviously had much more life experience, and boy does it shows in the music, thank you Marianne for being so open about your past, and turning heartbreak into singing/song writing success. Buy 'Vagabond Ways' today, you won't regret it.

It's all over now, Baby Blue
It's all over now, Baby Blue
Offered by soulsearchingplus

4.0 out of 5 stars An alternative Marianne collection, 1 Mar. 2015
Despite the rather cheap looking cover, this compilation is a grab bag of rare goodies for those who are only familiar with Marianne's '60s work as a folk/pop singer and the late 70s and onwards, as it covers the 'middle ground'. It milk together tracks from two rare albums that are rather pricey at the moment: all but four songs from 'Dreamin' My Dreams', a completely country and western flavoured album that was re-issued as 'Faithfull', but was originally released in 1976, and every track from 'Rich Kid Blues' which is a collection of acoustic songs recorded in 1971, that finally saw the light of day in 1985.

The difference in Marianne's voice in both albums is striking. Before the excessive drink and drug taking, she maintained that beautiful, (but notably lower in comparison to her very first records) voice and 'Rich Kid Blues' sports lovely cover versions of Cat Steven's 'Sad Lisa', Bob Dylan's 'It's All Over Now Baby Blue', and Johnny Cash's 'Long Black Veil'. This was a good LP of very pleasant music and delivery that is all to often overlooked.

With the tracks from 'Dreamin' My Dream', we hear that impressive yet withered, passionate voice that would blow us away on 'Broken English'. In fact, this LP, released one year before 'English', was intended as her 'comeback' album, but although she wasn't far away from achieving this, the album here flopped and went largely unheard. If you are a fan of country music, you'll love these tracks, which include the energetic 'All I Wanna Do In Life' and the sorrowful 'I'm Not Lisa' (which I first came across on a Tanya Tucker compilation) and Jackie DeShannon's 'Vanilla Ollay' (a song I heard originally on Twiggy's debut LP).

This is a most welcome compilation, showcasing Marianne's talents as a fine interpreter of country music, and offers casual fans the chance to hear something different from her. Fans at the time must have had a hell of shock when she returned one year after 'Dreamin' My Dreams' with the very different 'Broken English', her masterpiece, and although none of the tracks here rank as her best work, there is a plenty of wonderful music to discover from the legendary Ms. Faithfull.

Russell Howard's Good News: Best Of Series 1 [DVD]
Russell Howard's Good News: Best Of Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Russell Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars A compilation of a 'feel-good' show, 1 Mar. 2015
I have been a fan of TV's 'Russell Howard's Good News' from the start, and this excellent DVD compiles some of the best bits of the first series, and it's a really good compilation.

If you aren't familiar with the format, comedian Russell Howard takes a humorous look at the stories that have been featured in the newspapers over the past week, as well as the more quirky, less-reported incidents that might only be on YouTube for example, sometimes Russell invites the people involved to appear on the show. Essentially, the show is a platform for this great young talent to make often hilarious and sarcastic comments, but the scope of news includes everything from society, sports, celebrity, crime and politics.

This is such a quirky, 'feel-good' show and this DVD never fails to make me smile, often at his expressions and mannerisms as much as the news stories. Russell is so likeable and down-to-earth and if you like what you see here, I can only urge you to watch his stand-up. This DVD boasts a generous serving of special features, including the unaired pilot and some unseen bits and pieces.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20