Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Misfits
Misfits
by Mike O'Leary

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have Misfits companion, 29 May 2015
This review is from: Misfits (Hardcover)
I'm addicted to 'Misfits' at the moment. I know that I've discovered this little gem from E4 rather late, but I'm playing catch-up and bingeing on the DVD box sets. I had a search on Amazon to see what other merchandise they might be available out there, and was delighted when I found this book. I had a lot of fun this one, and highly recommend it to fellow fanatics.

This is a hardback which requires you to be a viewer already in order to fully understand and appreciate it's content. This isn't a straight-forward, dryly written history of all what's happened on the show, but instead, is full of in-jokes that came from the series, and some 'added features'. If you are fan, you'll find the stuff on these pages to be real laugh-a-minute stuff.

In a lavishly illustrated, full colour volume, the reader is given a peak inside these quirky characters' heads, including the minor and one-off Asbo teens that pop up throughout the series. There's a ton of information about each, often written in character, and author Mike O'Leary (who was part of the show's original writing team) did a superb job in capturing their voices and personalities for this book.

Other content that will provide endless giggles include the kids' probation reports, A-Z lists, and a 20 page comic book version of the first episode.

Like the series, 'Misfits' the book is very entertaining, very clever, unpredictable, completely offensive in the most wonderful way, and something that you'll want to turn in and out of again and again. The constant sex references and bad language are as present on these pages as they are on the screen, brilliant stuff. Highly recommended!

Brianstorm
Brianstorm
Offered by MasterDVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Alex and the lads did it again!, 29 May 2015
This review is from: Brianstorm (Audio CD)
The raucous rock'n'roll track 'Brianstorm' was the first single released from the Artic Monkeys' second album 'Favourite Worst Nightmare', and is one of the best songs on there. Very fast, full of energy, with smart lyrics and excellent vocal delivery from Alex Turner, and first class drumming from Matt Helders. This song raced to no.2 in the UK charts in 2007, and was also a hit the world over.

Now, I admit that I'm more than a little bit of a fan boy of these guys, and always buy the singles along with the albums, and it's worth it readers. Whereas some bands have B sides that are worth hearing maybe a few times over, these boys almost always have some real gems as theirs.

'If You Found This It's Probably Too Late' is a great slice of punk-rock, with an interesting and unexpected intro. 'Temptation Greets You Like Your Naughty Friend' is excellent, and my favourite song here, and the beautiful 'What If You Were Right The First Time?' is another stunner, with a delicious riff in the middle.

4 songs that grabbed me on first listen, 11 minutes of sheer pleasure, and another excellent single from the Arctic Monkeys. If you're an avid fan, you'll want to have 'Brianstorm' especially for the last two tracks.

Boyhood [DVD]
Boyhood [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patricia Arquette

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 May 2015
This review is from: Boyhood [DVD] (DVD)
Wonderful movie

Everything Is New
Everything Is New
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars A major change of sound, 28 May 2015
This review is from: Everything Is New (Audio CD)
I personally really enjoyed Jack Penate's debut album, Matinee, and still consider it an excellent, quirky indie-rock record. His more polished-sounding second album, released two years later in 2009, is very different, and we hear a more 'grown up' and sophisticated young man.

Goon
Goon

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful stuff!, 28 May 2015
This review is from: Goon (Audio CD)
I first discovered Tobias Jesso Jr via an appearance on my favourite TV music show, 'Later... with Jools Holland'. I was very impressed with his sweet vocals, mellow style, and evident talent around a piano. I went out and bought the album, something told me immediately that I'd enjoy it, but listening to 'Goon' for the first time just blew me away, this is an excellent debut. Think of a cross between Harry Nilsson and Ben Kweller, with more than a small touch of Elton John in there as well, and you wouldn't be far off the mark.

Canadian Tobias' has a wonderfully rich, melodious voice, it's quite similar to John Lennon's, and the man is a mean songwriter, able to pen such quality tracks that are upbeat, mellow, intelligent and sweet. The album is ultimately a throwback to 1970s' piano rock music, but is never nothing less than contemporary either.

Favourites songs here that instantly spring to mind here include the gorgeous 'Can't Stop Thinking About You', the brilliant 'How Could You Babe', and the longest track, 'Hollywood', which never fails to get me 'right there'.

I think that Tobias is a major new talent, and I look forward to hearing more from this master of melody. If you like soothing, relaxing and artistic music, 'Goon' is an album that I can recommend to you without any hesitation.

Teddy Picker
Teddy Picker
Offered by Japan-Select

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best songs from the second album, and some good B sides, 28 May 2015
This review is from: Teddy Picker (Audio CD)
With the Arctic Monkeys, you can virtually guarantee that if you ever purchase one of their singles, you're going to get some good B sides as well. 'Teddy Picker' is no exception.

The catchy, upbeat song itself was the third single from the band's second album 'Favourite Worst Nightmare', released in 2007, and was one of the highlights. As for the B sides, 'Bad Woman' is a grower, with fellow Sheffield musician and singer of the Britpop band Longpigs as the lead vocalist. 'The Death Ramps' is a pure-class, 3 minutes, 20 seconds instrumental track, and the short-but-sweet 'Nettles' closes things out.

I am a Arctic Monkeys completest, and always buy the singles and EPs to hear the excusive stuff that you can't get on the albums. Whilst I don't hold this one in the same regard as the singles 'Fluorescent Adolescent', 'Leave Before The Lights Come On' in terms of excellent B sides, or the fantastic 'Who The ---- Are Arctic Monkeys?' EP, the songs here are still good. Maybe 'Teddy Picker' is one for the fellow completest only.

Silence Is Golden
Silence Is Golden

5.0 out of 5 stars Three CDs of pure Gold!, 27 May 2015
This review is from: Silence Is Golden (Audio CD)
This triple CD collection, featuring some of the very best folk, psychedelic rock, and light pop music from the 'original chilled generation' of the 'flower power' era of the '60s/early '70s, is an absolute dream to listen too.

I don't doubt that, like all compilations, a lot of these tracks were already available to purchase together on similar CDs, but as I don't have an extensive collection of such music in my collection, this was not a problem for me. This was the first time I was able to own many of these songs, so as an introduction to this period of music, 'Silence is Golden' is an excellent choice.

Of course, as a fan of artists such as Fleetwood Mac, Simon & Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, and The Byrds, it was nice to have some tracks that I was very familiar with, and already owned several times over. But the stuff that was new to me is mostly very good as well, and I fully intend now to look further into some of these artistes. It was also a joy to hear songs that I'd always been fond of such as Scott McKenzie's 'San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)', and 'Everybody's Talkin' by Harry Nilsson, just two of many famous songs here that I've long since admired. As well as this, a few came as a surprise to me, particularly hearing Johnny Cash doing 'It Ain't Be Babe', a song I always associate straight away with just Dylan (which remains my favourite version), and The Rolling Stones' 'Ruby Tuesday' sang by Melanie, which is just lovely.

All of 60 songs spread across these three CDs are, to my knowledge, all of the original recordings, which makes for a even greater value for money. I adore 'Silence is Golden', which I have found it quite easy to play over and over since I purchased it. What I like about this compilation particularly, is that it mixes in some incredibly famous names, alongside lesser-knowns, meaning that there was much, for me at least, to discover. Buy this set today, and you'll hear some of the best retro music at it's finest.

30 Stars: Acoustic
30 Stars: Acoustic

5.0 out of 5 stars A great compilation of beautiful acoustic music, 26 May 2015
This review is from: 30 Stars: Acoustic (Audio CD)
Like it says as the title, this double CD (part of a series which also includes sets focusing on genres such as 'country' and 'classic rock') collection contains acoustic recordings from '30 stars', 15 on a disc, and an electric mix of old and new. I've always felt slightly duped whenever I've bought a compilation of 'acoustic' music, too much filler, but that isn't the case with this one. The song choices have been well selected, from very talent artists, my favourites include Tom Odell, Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel (I wished they'd patch up their feud before it's too late, these men made some beautiful, timeless music together), and Jeff Buckley, although I already owned all their songs on the original studio albums. I was particularly happy to see the band Walk Off the End represented here with their cover of Gotye's 'Somebody That I Used To Know', and John Legend more soulful rendition of U2's 'Pride (In the Name of Love)' amongst the song choices.

What the track listing on Amazon at the moment doesn't reveal, is that many of these songs are different cuts to the versions we are more familiar with.

Here is an incomplete list of such cases:

'Underneath Your Clothes' (Acoustic Live Vox) - Shakira
'How to Say A Life' (Live) - The Fray
'Fallin' (Unplugged) - Alicia Keys
'You're the Voice' (The Acoustic Chapel Sessions) - John Farnham

Personally, I welcome this, and it came as a nice surprise to hear a different 'spin' on these well-known tracks. I think that it provides better value.

'30 Stars: Acoustic' really is a fine acoustic album, showcasing some amazing material with some great artists. It's one of the best that I've come across, and makes for a very pleasant listen.

Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits
Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of Paul's early solo work, 26 May 2015
This wonderful greatest hits package from 1998, collects together most of the legendary Paul Weller's solo singles from 1991's 'Into Tomorrow' to his then current hit 'Brand New Start', and everything in between, several of which never made it onto his studio albums. Four tracks from Paul's excellent 1995 release 'Stanley Road' appear, 'Out of the Sinking', 'The Changingman', 'You Do Something to Me' and 'Broken Stones', all of them major hit singles. This is a very comprehensive overview of good old rock-and-roll music, mixed in with stylish R + B and soul. Whilst I can't say that every track here is standout, but when it's good, believe me, it's excellent.

This album is beautifully packaged with a booklet that contains some great pictures, memorabilia, information about where and when each of the tracks were recorded, as well as a message at the end from the big man himself.

Here with have distinctively British music that is perfect music for the Summer, Winter, Spring and Fall too, it's timeless. If you are looking for a good overview of Paul's work as a master singer/songwriter without his bands The Jam and The Style Council, 'Modern Classics: The Greatest Hits' is the album to buy. From here, you should progress onto last year's More Modern Classics release, which features highlights over the following 15 years. Cheers Mr. Weller - please keep the music coming Sir!

Summer Anthems
Summer Anthems

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of tunes for the Summer, 26 May 2015
This review is from: Summer Anthems (Audio CD)
This excellent compilation compiles 21 well-chosen songs for the Summer, which, when all together, really do manage to capture the feel of rocking out at a music festival. From the Stereophonics' 'Dakota', to 'Chasing Rainbows' by Shed Seven, this collection certainly represents some quality British music.

The tracks are varied in terms of style, but also of when they were recorded, some span as far back as the 1970s (Rod Stewart, Thin Lizzy), whereas others truly define the 1990s Britpop area (Dodgy, Ocean Colour Scene), as well as a few hits included from the present day (Bastille, Bombay Bicycle Club), but of all them are big. With a budget price tag, excellent sound quality, and each one the original recording, 'Summer Anthems' offers up great value for money.

The CD's booklet, with it's little facts and titbits about each of these songs and their artists is a nice touch.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20