Profile for Mr. M. A. Speedy > Reviews

Sum Of The Parts [Blu-ray] [2014] [NTSC]
Sum Of The Parts [Blu-ray] [2014] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Genesis
Offered by MediaMerchants

4.0 out of 5 stars The early section was fantastic - lots of footage and photos that I haven't ..., 1 Nov. 2014
Not sure why people are so upset about the lack of solo Hackett - all of the "Genesis-extra" work should have been ignored and this would have created a bit of breathing space. Fitting all of that into an 1 1/2 hour documentary is almost impossible.

The early section was fantastic - lots of footage and photos that I haven't seen before.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2014 2:22 PM GMT

The Deer Hunter [DVD] [1978]
The Deer Hunter [DVD] [1978]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro

5.0 out of 5 stars An emotional ride, 16 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Deer Hunter [DVD] [1978] (DVD)
I was lucky to see this film about knowing anything about it.

I found it moving and disturbing. The acting is top notch, a cracking score, a true classic.

The only bad bits were
- the length. The extras on the DVD reveal that the director pulled a fast one to get his longer version accepted. It needed some trimming, especially in the first and third parts. The second part is remarkable!
- the ending. It felt out of place to me. A true "South Park" moment - "look at all the bad things we do, but we are still great, huh?" Perhaps Amercians feel more comfortable with the "bumbling giant" theory of itself.
- I was slightly confused by the plot. What was happening with the French guy?

Oh well, still a cracker though.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2012 10:04 PM BST

Dial M for Murder [1954] [DVD]
Dial M for Murder [1954] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Milland

5.0 out of 5 stars Hitchcock's best, 16 Feb. 2010
I love this film.

It is like a play - not much scenery, it is virtually all based in one room.

Clever plot, nice acting, the detective is the coolest posh character of all time, and very funny too.

But perhaps my judgement is slightly distorted because of Grace Kelly. What a woman! ;)

Once Upon A Time In America [DVD] [1984]
Once Upon A Time In America [DVD] [1984]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential viewing, 16 Feb. 2010
One of my all time favourite films.

The good bits ... the acting is superb (the "kids" are particularly brilliant), the story is captivating ... I feel like I really know the characters. The music is truly beautiful - hey, I know a man isn't supposed to say that, but it's true!

The bad bits ... not many. Perhaps a bit long - there could have been a bit of trimming by Leone, and then the studio would have released it originally without slicing it to pieces. Some bad voice-dubbing here and there ... I thought my DVD was playing up! And one has to mention "that scene" - I thought it was over the top. You will know what scene I mean when you see it. It is pretty controversial stuff.

The plot is slightly confusing but I like that. That is a part of the charm - you have to make up your own mind of what it is all about!

Where is the blu-ray version? C'mon Warner, sort it out! :)

(500) Days of Summer [DVD] [2009]
(500) Days of Summer [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars Dodgy film ... acting is decent though, 15 Feb. 2010
Hear me out. First, the good things .... the acting is good, and it made me chuckle once or twice, but the film's plot is frankly a bit dodgy to live up to the marketing of a "click flick that men will like".

First, the plot is confusing - "this is not a love story, it's a story about love". What? The time switching does not serve the film in any way. I would hazard a guess that it is a plot device - to hide the implausible scenario of someone as physically attractive as the Professional Kook offering "free-love" to a greeting-card writer. If this happened in real life a Real Man would be grateful for such a gift. But of course, this is a "chick flick" so the Chick Flick Man falls in love with her - but wait a minute, I thought this wasn't a love story! I am confused. It's more complicated than Krypton Factor.

As a final observation, it is interesting that the film seems to suggest that the Chick Flick Man might have a chance of finding "The One" if he becomes an architect. Referring to the film's marketing, I doubt if this is something men would particularly want to hear, unless you are an architect of course! :)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2012 8:37 PM GMT

Yeah Ghost (CD Album)
Yeah Ghost (CD Album)
Offered by roundMediaUK

1.0 out of 5 stars It's bad, 4 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Yeah Ghost (CD Album) (Audio CD)
Apart from 'Swing', it is utter pants.

Maybe after writing 'Swing' they were kidnapped by aliens and had their talent surgically removed. It is really hard to explain what has happened here. Maybe too much money, drugs and women has destroyed them.

The Untouchables [DVD] [1987]
The Untouchables [DVD] [1987]
Dvd ~ Kevin Costner
Offered by Hatherley's

2.0 out of 5 stars A classic? You are joking., 28 Feb. 2008
Bad 80s music, wooden acting, uninspirational directing.

I am not quite sure what other people see in it.

If you want to see a crime epic, watch Goodfellas, The Godfather or Once Upon a Time in America instead.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2010 8:23 PM BST

Mean Streets (Special Edition) [DVD]
Mean Streets (Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harvey Keitel
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Forget it's Scorsese; it's rubbish, 14 Feb. 2008
I am a big fan of Goodfellas, and some of his other films are OK at best. But this is so terrible I couldn't bring myself to finish watching this amateurish piece.

It is "raw" alright. If "raw" means "not very good", then it is.

Avoid!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2012 7:26 PM GMT

Magnolia - Single Disc Set (1999) [DVD]
Magnolia - Single Disc Set (1999) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by figswigs

1.0 out of 5 stars God help us, 14 Feb. 2008
This is a terrible film. There is nothing worse than a film that thinks of itself as something meaningful and deep but actually has the depth of a pile of spit on the pavement.

I really knew I was going to hate this film when I saw the awful William H. Macy; I still haven't recovered from the sick joke that is known as Fargo.

I have no idea why the "critics" think this is a great film. The idea that a bunch of whiny annoying American middle-class dullards can be interesting viewing is a sick joke.

God help us from the raining frogs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2008 10:52 PM BST

This Life: Complete BBC Series 1 & 2 [DVD]
This Life: Complete BBC Series 1 & 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Davenport
Offered by Liberty Bee Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Second Series is Class, 3 Sept. 2006
If you have never seen this excellent BBC production, I would advise buying this box set. If you have watched it before, please don't bother with the first! It will taint your memory of how good the second series was.

The first series is full of cultural "lessons", excuse me, this isn't meant to be Grange Hill. Or is it? We are shocked to find out that a woman has sex and enjoys it! Wow! There is a "sensitive" man, a snag! Double wow! There is a gay person, and is open about it, and keeps talking about it! Triple wow!

Anna simply rocks, Miles is a posh git but is funny, and great to watch. All the lot in the "Chambers" are pretty cool. But the others ... Milly gets on my nerves. When I originally saw it, I thought that Rachel was the evil one and poor Milly was the Poor Woman. How wrong I was! She is a nightmare on heels. She failed to train her dog, Egg, to be a Breadwinner, so she slept with her boss who happens to have an American Express card. Who says romance is dead? Ferdy is good too, the sexuality lesson is more subtle than "I am gay, I am gay" Warren. Gawd. Rachel is a manipulative Daddy's girl, but she is very beautiful to watch, and she builds the second series into a great finale.

Superb!