Profile for Rutland Sailor > Reviews

Content by Rutland Sailor

Rutland Sailor

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 28 May 2015
Great product but when you get to the end of the vegetable there is an inch or two that you can't sprialise - so I just slice that up. Otherwise helping us to enjoy lots of new healthy recipes!

Seasonal Baking: Celebrating the baking year with classic cakes, cupcakes, biscuits and delicious treats
by Fiona Cairns

5.0 out of 5 stars seasonal baking, 16 Oct. 2013
Wow what a beautiful book - not just for cooking from, but simply to devour the beautiful pictures. I love the way its split into 'seasonal' suggestions, inspiring use of local, seasonal ingredients and of course flavours that compliment the time of year. I was surprised at how straight forward and simple some of the recipes are - even though they look so amazing in the book. For someone who doesn't always get baking quite right - so far everything I've attempted has been a success! I definitely recommend the Chocolate Cardamom tart - as I didn't have a rectangular tin, I just used a standard round one - and it looked just as lovely. I have made the coconut and rasberry cake several times as its a favourite in our house. My daughter who has recently travelled in India has made the Ondhwa - its absolutely delicious and we had it with some spicy butternut squash soup - perfect combination and something totally different. I was recently given this book as a gift and intend to buy it for all the female members of my family for Christmas - and some of the men too!

The Blue Book of Sailing: The 22 Keys to Sailing Mastery: The 27 Keys to Sailing Mastery
by Adam Cort

4.0 out of 5 stars Complex subject well explained, 16 Dec. 2011
I was given this book recently and am just about to buy a copy for a friend (nuff said?). Having recently gained my Yachtmaster qualification, I've been hungry for good reading material and this is a book that will be a reference for some while - perhaps a very long time.
I like:
The layout of the principles makes it very digestible.
For non-scientists the explanations show how a multitude of factors affect how a boat moves, e.g. the mechanics of how sails generate power is fairly simply explained and understandable.
It should encourage the reader to delve further into each aspect of sailing.

I don't really like that much:
It's written for American readers, so there aren't many useful examples of sailing in British waters and the vocabulary will cause some minor confusion.

Most sailing books don't address such a wide brief, or if they do, they tend to be 500 pages of turgid gloop. Breaking sailing down into 22 keys aspects is a brave attempt, and a successful one in my view, at simplyfying a highly complex subject.

Bake & Decorate
Bake & Decorate
by Fiona Cairns

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish Book- even if you can't cook, 21 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Bake & Decorate (Hardcover)
Beautiful photography and extremely well laid out. Easy to follow and a must have even if you cant cook!