Profile for Farah Mendlesohn > Reviews

Content by Farah Mendlesohn

Farah Mendlesohn (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
World Pride Sunglasses Rack Holder Glasses Display Stand (Black)
World Pride Sunglasses Rack Holder Glasses Display Stand (Black)
Offered by Stefanian

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 20 Aug. 2017
Works very well for the cheap reading glasses I love. Just ordered a second.

Piglettes
Piglettes
by Clémentine Beauvais

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this. It was incredibly witty, 2 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Piglettes (Paperback)
I loved this. It was incredibly witty, full of sly references, and avoided many of the obvious traps of the average anit-bullying book. Mirelle is a joy.

Constructing Adolescence in Fantastic Realism (Children's Literature and Culture)
by Alison Waller

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent book. If you are a fantasy scholar interested ..., 29 July 2017
This book should have been titled Constructing Adolescence in Primary World Children's Fantasy then we would all have realised we had to read it. Really excellent book. If you are a fantasy scholar interested in children's lit, and a fan of Brian Attebery's Strategies of Fantasy you want this book.

Atlas of the English Civil War
Atlas of the English Civil War

5.0 out of 5 stars This was fantastic not just because of the maps, 3 July 2017
This was fantastic not just because of the maps, but because of the accounts Newman gives. I'm reasonably well read on the topic but there were all sorts of insights here, particularly on small skirmishes that get missed out in many accounts.

Urine Off Cat & Kitten 3.75 Litre. Best Value. Delivery to Mainland UK only excluding Scottish Highlands.
Offered by Nicole Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars ... of our cats is both very lucky that we love him *and* that this works, 6 Jun. 2017
Let's just say that one of our cats is both very lucky that we love him *and* that this works.

[note that it isn't a deterrent and I recommend lavender water spray to help keep the house generally fresh.]

Black Cats and Butlers: Book 1 (Rose Raventhorpe Investigates)
Black Cats and Butlers: Book 1 (Rose Raventhorpe Investigates)
by Janine Beacham

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful., 6 May 2017
Dreadful. Horribly coy, no idea about Victorian life or manners or ways of referring to each other. And no point whatsoever in setting it an alternate York as she changes the street names and has no clue to create good ones. If you know York it's just confusing and annoying.

She is aiming for a Robin Stevens tone and serves only to demonstrate how good Robin Stevens is.

The Bookshop Girl
The Bookshop Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun, 25 April 2017
This review is from: The Bookshop Girl (Kindle Edition)
I particularly liked how much I learned about ink and paper. Also that there are many different kinds of intelligence.

Cinder
Cinder
by Marissa Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Well that was unexpectedly excellent. I read YA science fiction for academic work ..., 24 April 2017
This review is from: Cinder (Paperback)
Well that was unexpectedly excellent.

I read YA science fiction for academic work and most of it is just awful, either dystopian drear or completely implausible future societies. It also is mostly yawningly predictable.

Here we have an interesting protagonist; a fascinating political set up; proper understanding of plagues, and just as I thought we were in racist paranoia territory it took a left turn. Even the ending didn't go quite where I was expecting.

I have instantly downloaded the sequels. I *never* do that.

Brand Warfare: 10 Rules for Building the Killer Brand
Brand Warfare: 10 Rules for Building the Killer Brand

5.0 out of 5 stars I was reading chapter 7 when United 'failed to accommodate' their passengers, 11 April 2017
Brilliantly written with lessons for all kinds of organisations. As with his book on leadership, the title is for catchiness. This is also a book about corporate honour and ethics, and about resource management

Silent Starsong
Silent Starsong

2.0 out of 5 stars Ought to be a good book. A deaf child is taught sign by ..., 9 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Silent Starsong (Kindle Edition)
Ought to be a good book. A deaf child is taught sign by her father who is from Earth. Problem is he *buys* an alien to be her empathic slave. It's all wrapped up in a narrative in which he is persecuted and sold by his own people and the story itself is Huckleberry Finn (ie when she has to run away her slave accompanies and allies with her). But how the author thought it was ok to write approvingly of slavery is beyond me. I can only assume she didn't realise she was doing so.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5