Profile for John Wiseman > Reviews

Content by John Wiseman

John Wiseman (Manchester / England)

Tom Clancy's Support and Defend
Tom Clancy's Support and Defend
by Mark Greaney

3.0 out of 5 stars Two writing styles by two authors just don't work!, 21 Oct. 2015
Sorry, my mistake I only saw 'Tom Clancy' and thought it was one of his great books.
Unfortunately only bits of it are and then the narrative suddenly changes down a gear and it is only too obvious that these bits are written by someone else! This I assume is Mark Greaney and it's written in an amateurish way like a little boy, full of over dramatic silly words and descriptions .It just spoils the whole story line and the switch on and of between Tom Clancy and Mr Greaneys' style ruins it all. Best of luck to the publishers trying to squeeze every last value from their old cash cow but it's sad really to do this to Tom Clancys' fine record after he's died.

Nikon Coolpix L830 ( 16.76 MP,34 x Optical Zoom,3 -inch LCD )
Nikon Coolpix L830 ( 16.76 MP,34 x Optical Zoom,3 -inch LCD )

5.0 out of 5 stars a) as easy as possible to operate with simple controls b) a ..., 21 Oct. 2015
I'm 72 and have been an avid photographer for over 50 years, having owned many SLRs. I have just been on a lengthy tour of 9 countries and having seen the superb results of shots taken with the latest most basic digital cameras and mobile phones I didn't really fancy lugging my DSLR around with me and so looked at what was an alternative. My priority list was, a) as easy as possible to operate with simple controls b) a large, bright and variable angle LCD screen. c) A good zoom. d) Small light and compact. So, looking at what was available I decided on the Nikon Coolpix L830 and I am amazed by it's performance, a superb bit of kit and amazing value for what one gets. With a 32gig Sandisk memory card I took about 500 shots of all kinds, some timed on a tripod, most handheld and some even one handed out of the car window (This camera is designed to fit snugly and securely in one hand) All the shots came out sharp and crisp as one is hard pushed to beat the rapid autofocus. So good is this camera that I can never see me going back to a big SLR again. And oh yes, another great thing is that it takes 4 AA batteries which one can buy anywhere. I use a set of re-chargable ones and carry 4 ordinary spares which is so easy and I never got caught out. Each to his own, but unless you're a genuine professional photographer who has to lug heavy kit around, then this little Nikon Coolpix camera must be one of the best on the market.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Russell Hobbs 17877 Ceramic Soleplate EasyFill Steam Iron 2400W
Russell Hobbs 17877 Ceramic Soleplate EasyFill Steam Iron 2400W

2.0 out of 5 stars A great iron and on the face of it a really ..., 22 April 2015
A great iron and on the face of it a really good idea to fill up easily under the tap. One major, major design fault though is that you need to have really strong hands as the pressure you need to depress the button to fill & empty is crazy. Most women like my wife just don't have the strength and so can only use the iron when there's a man at hand. Obviously designed by a bloke and not road tested by women before being put into production!! mmmmm.
John

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Wonky, 22 April 2015
Wonky knives with crooked blades.
The soft touch handle covering is good, the rest is poor manufacture and design
Not impressed

Locked On (Jack Ryan Jr 3)
Locked On (Jack Ryan Jr 3)
by Tom Clancy

3.0 out of 5 stars Two different authors in one book??, 22 April 2015
Having read several past Tom Clancy novels one gets used to his style and this collaboration with Mark Greaney just does not work and is really strange having two different writing styles in one book and one can tell immediately when Clancy stops and Greaney starts, It just doesn't flow at It is so obvious that Clancy writes all the intrigue and background and weaves the plot in his masterly fashion. Then for all the action bits like fighting and shooting etc it's very obvious to the reader that someone else is writing! It is flowery, crammed with far too much detail and has poor grammar almost as if someone is trying to prove how knowledgeable they are and just comes across as amateurish. I don't think penguin books would have ever gone for such a daft idea as two different authors in one novel were it not for Clancys' name on the dustsheet!!

TomTom Start 60 6" Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps (45 Countries)
TomTom Start 60 6" Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps (45 Countries)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet!, 2 Nov. 2012
I've owned Tom Tom GPS's since they first came out and been across Europe with them without problem door to door! I've now updated to the latest 6" Start 60 and although I've not yet used it in Europe I'm very impressed. It's clearer, brighter and sharper than ever and the extra size and features are superb and so easy to use. Very difficult to go wrong with this one and I can find nothing to criticise about it, it's just dam good as anyone who buys one will find out. Tom Tom are with justification the undoubted leaders in their field.

Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD]
Christmas at Downton Abbey (2011) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville

5.0 out of 5 stars Super,Brilliant,Smashing!!, 9 Feb. 2012
Super fast delivery, good price.
This was a gift for my son and his wife in Australia as they are fans of Downton Abbey but the Christmas Special hadn't reached there yet. They were chuffed. What more can one say about this epic series that hasn't been said already. Brilliant!

Canon PowerShot SX20 IS Digital Camera (12.1 Megapixel, 20x Optical Zoom) 2.5 inch LCD

3.0 out of 5 stars CanonSX20, 10 Dec. 2011
I bought a Canon on the recommendation of my son who also owns one. I took it out onto the hills and gave it a good trial in all modes, lots of great features but one major defect, The Picture Quality is inferior! I would add that I took my old Nikon Coolpix 6mp with me at the same time and took identical shots for comparison purposes and when I ran them through my PC I had a surprise. This latest all singing all dancing Canon was no where near the sharpness of the old Nikon!! Very disappointing so I've sold the Canon and will instead be buying either a Nikon or a Sony! There is a school of thought that is being voiced more and more that too many mega pixels and too much image stability technology can adversely effect the picture quality. Unless you need to print out pictures the size of a house wall, 10 mp is more than enough for the average user! I've learnt my lesson, 'All that glitters is not gold' and 'Quantity doesn't mean quality either!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Toaster!, 11 April 2011
A compact and neat looking design which toasts crumpets and tea cakes as well as making great toast. I chose Philips because I've bought their things for the last 50 years ago and they haven't gone wrong. They are an old Dutch firm, one of the largest in the world who have been making electrical items for over a hundred years and are still going strong in 60 countries. Stands to reason they must be good.

Long Way Down
Long Way Down
by Charley Boorman

3.0 out of 5 stars Long way down, 4 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Long Way Down (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed their first book and accepted the occasional 'F' word as their way of writing. I bought Long way down and by the time I had read a quarter of it I discovered that it contained far more totally unnecessary obscene language. It just turned me right off, my opinion of these two young men changed, I was very dissapointed and couldn't read any further. I would add that I am fairly broad minded but this is not a book I would want on my book case so I gave it away. I am puzzled as to why two apparantly intelligent chaps feel the need to pollute their prose with expletives. Do they use that kind of gutter language with their own parents,wives and children? I doubt it so why pollute their own books with it. It is not clever it is immature,crude and offensive to the reader and it does them no credit whatsoever. They and their publishers should be ashamed!