Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now
Profile for C. Weir > Reviews

Content by C. Weir

C. Weir "bach mad" (Northern Ireland)

Objective-C (Developer Reference)
Objective-C (Developer Reference)
by Jiva DeVoe

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure about this..., 28 Feb. 2011
Got this book as it looked good. It cover the basics-C constructs etc. Mentioning structs, typedefs etc. So it seemed a good c to objective c resource. But right after basics of classes objects etc we have a deep and v advanced chapter on blocks-chapter 5. It is totally out of place at this point and from here the book is pitched at the advanced level. Some chapters good-protocols etc. But if you are beginning Obj C it is useless, if you have read other texts -I can't see what this adds.

Objective-C for Absolute Beginners: iPhone, iPad and Mac Programming Made Easy
Objective-C for Absolute Beginners: iPhone, iPad and Mac Programming Made Easy
by Gary Bennett

1.0 out of 5 stars What a mess, 11 Oct. 2010
There are so many missed opportunities in this book.

Agree with other reviewers it is a chaotic mess of chapters often out of sequence. I too could not find the NSMutableDictionary reference in Ch6 and it now appears in ch 8. Hexadecimal is just thrown in the middle of a chapter and not used again. Xcode is repeatedly explained for the beginner after being expected to use it without explanation in earlier chapters

The first half of the book is wasted on learning ALICE a simple program to learn OOP. I skipped over that. For a while I thought yes this is really readable and repeats key concepts but everything is confusingly out of place. Often chapters repeat entire concepts. Having 3 authors I think has caused all 3 to write independently and the editors have just thrown this all together.

I can see how this book could be rewritten and actually be very good.

For the complete beginner I recommend Learn C on the mac (a fantastic book) then one of the other obj C texts mentioned elsewhere.

If this was any other sort of commodity I would be asking for my money back.

Beginning C: From Novice to Professional (Beginning: from Novice to Professional)
by Ivor Horton

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful introduction to C, 11 Sept. 2010
I'm a complete beginner and on a route to learn Objective C. I learnt early on that I needed a firm foundation in C.

I have tried other books but this just gets everything right. It is clear, straightforward. Lots of USEFUL examples, try it out exercises and explanations in depth.

Pointers are well explained too-some books do this very poorly.

Many like me are probably working towards iOS or OS X programming. This is a great place to start

Bach: Cello Suites
Bach: Cello Suites

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest recording yet, 20 April 2010
This review is from: Bach: Cello Suites (Audio CD)
I have tried Isserlis, Ma, Cassals, Tortelier, and probably second best for me Peter Wispelwey. I freely admit I haven't heard Schiff, Rostopovich or Fournier. This simply is for me the greatest recording yet of these pieces. The rhythms dance, there are dramatic moments that fit with Bach's magnificent vision, the profound Sarabande of the 5th suite is moving yet not over wrought.

These are difficult pieces to concentrate on if you haven't heard them before and require concentration to get the most from them-but here the music making makes it all seem transparent and natural.

Highly highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2014 8:22 PM GMT

Vivaldi: Four Seasons & Concertos RV257, 376 & 211
Vivaldi: Four Seasons & Concertos RV257, 376 & 211

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning the best, 1 Oct. 2009
Having listened to many versions of the years of the four seasons, this is the one that is simply stunning in every way. It is on baroque instruments which gives that edge and bite thats needed. It has a lute in the continuo which is the fashion more recently with original instrument recordings and this adds character and strength to the base line with a real sense of rhythm when called for.

The fast movements are VERY fast-something I was never sure about-but this is totally convincing and musical. The soloist and tutti articulate every note to perfection.

Never before have I heard so clearly the twittering of Spring's birds, or the dog barking in the distance, or best of all the ice skaters falling in winter.

In additional the slow movements are ravishingly and aching beautifully played-a wonderful contrast to the fast movements. Listen to the end of the slow movement of summer and how Carmignola fades quietly away yet maintaining a pure tone.

It is clear that a lot of thought has been given to interpreting the four seasons here. I cant understand how the Penguin guide misses giving this a rosette and yet does for the Accardo version which just sounds pedestrian and even missing the point.

In summary then, a much recorded work with many versions available, this one is breathtaking, beautiful and will have you listening to it over and over again. A desert island disc!

Vivaldi: L'estro Armonico
Vivaldi: L'estro Armonico

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant played Vivaldi but incomplete, 27 Sept. 2009
I have been listening to this disc constantly for 2 days it is so good.

However I nearly didn't bother as I was shocked to see that as far as Vivaldi's opus 3 is concerned it is incomplete. There is no mention of this anywhere and stops it getting an otherwise clear 5 star review

These are period instrument performances at their best. The playing is vital and lively, the slow movements beautiful. As is this case now with these more recent period performances the continuo includes lute/baroque guitar. This gives a fantastic percussive quality to the music which really enhances it. Flourishes are there but not overdone in the solo violin pieces. Every note is articulated to perfection.

Number 11 is the standout piece, from the slow opening with deep percussive continuo to the perfectly paced fugue at the start of the first fast movement. I really cant stop listening to it.

From this disc it seems that Vivaldi was incapable of writing a boring movement and is a testament to his breathtaking creativity. No Vivaldi collector should be without it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2012 5:29 AM BST

The Penguin Guide to Recorded Classical Music 2009
The Penguin Guide to Recorded Classical Music 2009
by Robert Layton

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed...., 19 Aug. 2009
I, like most other reviewers with past experience of the Penguin Guide have looked to the guide as the "bible" of classical music and have lived with many editions over the years.

I am shocked now at some omissions. On the basis of the guide I have collected the complete organ works of Bach on CD by Kevin Bowyer some of which have a Rosette. They are completely absent from this edition yet still available. This makes me wonder what else is missing. Can I trust the guide anymore?

On the other hand it sits on my bookcase like an old friend. I browse through composers I have not heard on CD before such as Frank Martin and the reviews still generate excitement and new discoveries.

The old 3 star and rosette system to me seems complicated by the new 4 stars, rosette AND key recordings

I want it to be better.

Filemaker Pro 5.5 Advanced for Windows and Macintosh (Visual QuickProject Guides)
by Cynthia Baron

1.0 out of 5 stars Little to add in understanding software, 25 April 2002
I've been learning FM pro for some months. The basics are easy to grasp and you would rapidly want to progress to a book that will teach you more advanced techniques. However this book failed completely to enhance my understanding of FM in any way. It adopts the usual mistake of picking certain tasks and laboriously describing how to complete them.
There is no real background on what you are doing and worse no screenshots of what you are trying to achieve yet endless screenshots of the process.
If you want to understand relational, scripting, and other techniques that will allow you to progress there are better publications.