Profile for elsie purdon > Reviews

Content by elsie purdon

elsie purdon "reads too much" (dorset uk)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
STABILO Trio Scribbi Triangular Felt Tip Pen - Assorted Colours (Pack of 14)
STABILO Trio Scribbi Triangular Felt Tip Pen - Assorted Colours (Pack of 14)

5.0 out of 5 stars Indestructible nibs! I love the picture of pogo sticks to illustrate this!, 24 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Stablio brand is a good pen Brand. I buy their pens for myself snd my grandchildren to use.
I like the colours and I find the pens to be of good quality. They last for ages.
This is very good for visiting grandchildren.

This pack is of the indestructible nibs for beginners in colouring. These pens can pogo across the page.

The harder you press, it doesn’t matter. The nib simply goes in and then back out again. It cannot be broken at all.
You can have fun dotting over an area instead of just colouring if you want to.

The pens are triangular in shape and very thick. This makes them easy to hold in smaller hands that are still learning how to grip and colour.

There are 14 colours included which is plenty of choice. Really good strong colours. Also they are described as Super washable. Easy to wash off skin and textiles.

InterDesign Classico Wire Basket 2, Deep, Satin
InterDesign Classico Wire Basket 2, Deep, Satin

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Practical, 24 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This item has been immediately utilised in the larder cupboard. It has been filled with packets of food stuffs that otherwise just end up falling in and out of the cupboard when I am searching for some ingredient that is not often used.

I am a great one for buying bulk packets of nuts or alternative sugars that end up forgotten having been kicked to the back of the cupboard.
Now in this many wire container they are safely stored and best of all visible.

This kind of container would be just as useful full of craft items or bathroom items.
Unless you have limitless shelving you end up need to pile stuff on top of stuff and this is a really good way to go.
I am very happy with it and intend to buy another one for the shelf above which has a similar need.

Also it has built in handles so it is easy to pick up and carry.

STABILO Trio Jumbo Felt Tip Colouring Pen -Wallet of 12, Assorted Colours
STABILO Trio Jumbo Felt Tip Colouring Pen -Wallet of 12, Assorted Colours

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra Thick Nibs for Colouring, 24 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ideal for colouring especially for kids but can also be enjoyed by grown ups wanting to fill in a larger space.

The colours are a basic range of 12. Lots of very bright colours. Two greens, two blues, even two shades of orange plus back, brown, yellow. pink and red.
The ink is described as super washable so do not fret if pens goes onto washable clothes or other textiles. Also washes easily off of hands and faces.

There is 3D colouring app available but I don’t use a smart phone so I didn’t try it out.
My grandchildren all use tablets and will no doubt also use this additional feature when they visit.

I like Stablio brand. It is one of the brands I buy for myself. They last a long time nd are to my mind worth the money rather than the cheap end pens.

STABILO Trio 2-in-1 Felt-Tip and Fineliner Pen - Wallet of 10 Assorted Colours
STABILO Trio 2-in-1 Felt-Tip and Fineliner Pen - Wallet of 10 Assorted Colours

5.0 out of 5 stars Stabilo 2 in 1 pens. Thick and Fine Nibs on each pen, 23 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As described these pens are perfect for colouring and writing.
The colours are rich and strong.
I did find a couple of the fine tips were a little scratchy but it wasn’t off putting. The pens still work, that’s just me being very picky.

You get 10 colours which is a good number. It doesn’t over complicate with decisions about which shade to use.
I buy Stablio brand for myself to use as I have only ever had positive experiences with them.

The Liar: Eddie Flynn Book 3
The Liar: Eddie Flynn Book 3
by Steve Cavanagh

5.0 out of 5 stars Eddie Flynn really flying in this third book, 23 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have enjoyed reading the first two books where Eddie Flynn, grifter turned Lawyer in New York City but this latest is I think the best so far.

The plot is mesmerising It took me a while to catch up and keep track of Eddie’s life and I have to read some parts again because the American Justice systems really very complex.
to too far into the novel everything took off. That is where the book becomes compelling.
So much action but also a lot of strategy and thought is going on down.

A man that Eddie is close to is in deep shit. Harry is a judge but when one of his old cases is held up for an acquittal after the accused has died he can be sacked and lose all he has worked for esteem and status as well as money.
Eddie wants to help. At the same time another case is tugging at Eddie’s heartstrings. Eddie has a teenage daughter who was kidnapped in book two and when he hears of a case where the wealthy Lenny Lowell has had his daughter of the same age kidnapped again Eddie wants to help.

All the action involves so many agencies and people and dirty doings and really if Eddie hadn’t had the early grifter training from his Dad he couldn’t keep up.

It’s a great read. I hope to meet Eddie Flynn again before too long.

The Girlfriend: The Most Gripping Debut Psychological Thriller of the Year
The Girlfriend: The Most Gripping Debut Psychological Thriller of the Year
by Michelle Frances

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really a chilling psychological thriller, 21 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was advertised as a chilling psychological thriller but I think it turns out to be lacking the necessary pace and tension.
Some parts of the novel work better than others, including the ending which should have been shocking but was not.
I think this novel might have worked much better as a TV drama which is the area the author has had most experience of. Maybe she thinks it will be picked up as a film or TV drama now.

Cherry is the beautiful girlfriend. She meets Daniel a well heeled university student who is going to be a doctor and has seriously well off parents.
Daniel’s mother see him as hers. She takes a profound dislike to Cherry as a gold-digger, and tries to turn her son away from her.
That doesn’t work and then events take over. It was the better read to this point I think. As a mother I know that you do have instincts about a partner that may not be suitable.

I can not however this recommend this novel. I think it is an ok read. But cannot say I enjoyed it. For the reasons given below
In fact even before the ending I felt as if I was reading a lazy class war story about the type of working class people who may be of greater intelligence but horrors, may use it to be cunning enough to take a slice of the benefits the upper middle class professional classes take as their own.
The entitled attitude is played down somewhat and the negative qualities of the wealthy mother are almost excused as down to a trauma. The characters became far too stereotypical, and no longer individuals.

I felt the novel to be divisive. As a member of the lower classes I know I don’t fit the stereotypes. But I don’t enjoy a book that tries to heap more negativity on those of us not born to the entitled classes .
There is a reference to this accident of birth that I guess is the author’s acknowledgement that life and it’s fortunes are often only down to the circumstances of your birth.

Product Nation 6 Sheet Cross Cut Shredder with Removable Bin for Paper, CD's and Credit Cards
Offered by Product Nation

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple to use and very efficient shredder, 19 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this Product Nation shredder. It is very simple and straightforward to use.
It has made an efficient job of shredding my piles of paper and never even jammed once. I think you are supposed to stop every five minutes of continuous use to allow the machine to rest and cool down. I found that with slight pauses I could operate the shredder for 15-20 mins at a time and then gove it and me a 10 minute break.

The bucket part of the shredder has a window if you want to see how much paper there is inside. It also has a space as a handle to carry to the bins with.

I had no trouble shredding credit cards or DVD/CD’s either.

The shredder feels very robust and strong. I am sure it will keep going a long time. I have been using it for a month now. The shredded paper is cross cut too, which makes it impossible for it to be put back together. so extra strong security.

Overall the shredder is shorter than my own shredder and therefore easier to store.

Blackbird: A Redemption Novel (Redemption Series)
Blackbird: A Redemption Novel (Redemption Series)
by Molly McAdams

1.0 out of 5 stars Weird Odd and Horrible, 17 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another reviewer has already posted a very comprehensive view of reasons why this novel is just plain wrong!
I am in agreement. Trafficking women is wrong. Rape is wrong.
One human controlling another is wrong.

Making up a strange story where there seems to be a frisson of sexual excitement running through this issue is sad, odd and wrong.

There is no real story. Only a thin sketchy plot of a young white woman who swaps work shifts with another young woman only she gets kidanpped and sold in an online auction. While stripped and possibly blindfolded.
Lovely ? Not.

Do I spoil the story if tell you that this is the weirdest ever way to meet your one and only soul mate. The devil himself.

Awful garbage. Makes me angry because it belittles the plight of woman who are kidnapped. duped, and trafficked. Using women as sexual commodities is wrong. The world seems to have gone backwards on this issue.

It puzzled me why the author is a very popular writer and reckons she was begged by her fans to write this novel. Is this so?

I would say do not read this book. It has no redeeming qualities that I can see. There is no intelligent or realistic dialogue and no character development .

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Fast Absorbing Hand Cream, 75ml
Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Fast Absorbing Hand Cream, 75ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes my hands feel softer, 14 Jun. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A really good hand cream that claims to be fast absorbing, and in this case it is true.
I like the way my hands feel softer after using it.
I am over sixty so I need to use a hand cream more than ever.
Mostly I dislike hand cream because many stay on the skin as a greasy layer that has to be wiped off.

The Night Visitor
The Night Visitor
by Lucy Atkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of suspicion and suspense, 14 Jun. 2017
This review is from: The Night Visitor (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was riveted from the first page.
The first chapter is the voice of Olivia. An esteemed History Professor who is about to publish her new book. It has massive pre-sales and she is on the brink of making a lot of money.

Vivian is the housekeeper of Ileford Manor, she has been the main research assistant for Olivia and in fact she was the person who uncovered the Victorian diary that is at the heart of the book.

It is soon clear that Olivia and Vivian do not like each other. Something is off between them. Vivian is both highly intelligent but socially awkward.
Olivia is married with three children and has made TV appearances.
Their lives are very different but that is not the problem.

Who is the Night Visitor?
This is a great novel. Full of suspicion and intrigue it kept me hooked right to the last page.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20