Profile for Miss Karen L. Mason > Reviews

Content by Miss Karen L. ...

Miss Karen L. Mason "Karen Mason" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Betron Nylon Braided Reinforced Tangle Free USB to Micro USB Cable with Gold-Plated Connectors for Android, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Sony and More (Gold)
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 April 2017
Great recharger. Excellent value for money would recommend to a friend. It no longer works with my Lumia phone but I suspect that is down to the phone as it works with everything else

Maestra: The Most Shocking Thriller You'll Read This Year
Maestra: The Most Shocking Thriller You'll Read This Year
by L. S. Hilton

1.0 out of 5 stars Come back Fifty Shades, all is forgiven!, 1 April 2016
I am half way through and would have finished it had I not had to keep stopping to google the various designers and things she keeps mentioning. It really doesn't help the reading experience. I would have to move in the same circles as Judith to know what she is talking about, and if I did, I doubt I would be reading a £4.50 kindle book. I'm also yet to see why it's a thriller. It's very badly written and I keep glazing over. Even Fifty Shades was more entertaining than this!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 15 Oct. 2015
This coat is wonderful. It looks smart, is warm and stretchy, so forgiving on 'fat days'. It arrived quickly and in perfect condition. I cannot recommend highly enough.

Abandoned Child
Abandoned Child
by Kitty Neale

3.0 out of 5 stars Over-long and Anachronistic, 15 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Abandoned Child (Paperback)
It’s a good job I’ve read many other Kitty Neales and loved them, or else this book would put me off her. In places it reads like a first draft, when you want to get all your thoughts down before editing them. I also don’t know why she set it in the 1980s. At times it feels as though it was supposed to be set in the 1950s and she had changed bits of the dialogue and things to bring it up to the 80s. There is even mention of someone having a backstreet abortion. Why anyone would have a backstreet abortion in 1988 when it was perfectly free and legal, I don’t know. Also, I’m sure burlesque only made a resurgence in the late 90s, with Dita von Teese. Back in the 80s, clubs were full of footballers, coke and it saw the start of lapdancing.

I like that the ending wasn’t obvious, although Penny does seem to get over her feelings pretty quickly. But she is supposed to be a teenager so it could be down to that. This book won’t put me off Kitty Neale because I know she can do much better. I just suggest she sticks to the 1950s and 60s.

No Smoking
No Smoking

5.0 out of 5 stars Then I would die happy., 6 May 2015
This review is from: No Smoking (MP3 Download)
If I won the Euromillions, I would pay Tom Jones £1m to re-record this. Then I would die happy.

The Look Of Love [DVD] [2013]
The Look Of Love [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but Coogan IS Alan Partridge, 21 Aug. 2013
I really enjoyed this, but I found it was the cast surrounding Steve Coogan I enjoyed more than the man himself. At times, Paul Raymond slipped into Tony Wilson (24 Hour Party People), and at times both men have slipped into Partridge (oo-er). I find Coogan cannot portray emotion very well and is at his best when he is being condescending and irritating.

But on saying that, The Look of Love is a good piece of social history, even if at times the female nudity does get a little too much to bear (I'm sure that would be different for male viewers). Imogen Poots probably gives the standout performance as Raymond's spoilt, but emotionally confused daughter Debbie, who ends up a drug addict. In contrast, is a rather sad scene where Raymond's illegitimate first son, Derry joins him for dinner and is promptly dismissed afterwards.

I feel the film had a bit of an identity crisis, not knowing if it was a comedy or a drama. If it was a comedy, Coogan was a good choice. If it was drama, I think they could have cast someone with a bit more range. But on saying that, it held my attention and I was curious on googling `Fiona Richmond' to find that Tamsin Egerton, who plays her, is actually better looking, despite Richmond being a major sex symbol of the time.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2014 5:55 PM BST

KILLER WHISPERS - Myles Morgan Undercover
KILLER WHISPERS - Myles Morgan Undercover

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but Myles needs to start being a 'proper' policeman, 24 Oct. 2012
As with Riot Murder, I really enjoyed reading this, and would definitely consider myself a Mark Capell fan now. In this one, actor turned policeman Myles Morgan investigates a serial killer who is targeting witches. The book was engaging and a page turner, and I was genuinely surprised by the twist at the end. My only criticism is that Myles doesn't seem to do any routine police work, other than go undercover. Everyone knows that 50% of a police officer's lot is completing boring paperwork and other such things, and Myles never seems to do anything like this. Other than this, I've no faults with it and will definitely be reading Run Run Run when I get the chance.

Angel [DVD]
Angel [DVD]
Dvd ~ Romola Garai

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful tribute to films of yesteryear., 13 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Angel [DVD] (DVD)
I actually cannot describe how wonderful this film is. I can see how it would split opinions, as if you are looking for something serious and earnest and modern, then Angel would never appeal to you. Maybe I revel in the past, I don't know, but it reminds me of all those over the top Technicolor melodramas I used to watch on a Sunday afternoon with my mum. From Phillippe Rombi's beautiful score, to Ozon's use of colour, to Romola Garai's acting, it is a truly magical film. Strangely, as a huge Michael Fassbender fan, it's weird that I actually prefer Angel before she meets Esme. Falling in love makes Angel into less of a caricature and more easy to empathise with; whereas the teenage Angel who dreams of becoming a famous writer - even though she has no talent, is so outrageously horrible that you cannot help but love to hate her. She is so obviously based on Scarlet O'Hara (see the scene where she and Gillbright visit Paradise House for the first time and she looks through the gates and gives her speech about wishing) and she provokes the same mixture of emotions in the viewer. Angel is a beautiful homage to an age of cinema that has long since passed and it almost makes me wish I had a teenage daughter to sit and watch it with. I will never tire of watching this and I certainly will be now investigating (the other) Elizabeth Taylor's books.

I wish I could give it ten stars.

The Two (January David Book 2)
The Two (January David Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Confusing? Maybe. Gripping? Definitely, 12 April 2012
I guessed 90% of the outcome of The Two, but that will not make me detract stars from the overall score, because I do not think there is any part of this book that actually gives the ending away. It was probably more luck than anything else. Girl 4, Carver's debut novel was largely described as a 'Marmite book' - the fragmented structure and chapters written in the first person, but by different people; proved confusing to some but appealing and fresh, to others. The Two is much the same, but I see it as testament to Carver's ability as a writer to be able to speak in such distinct voices of different people and yet the reader does not lose track.

The Two sees the return of Girl 4's Detective Inspector January David, who, as well as struggling with his personal demons, is once again having to cope with the visions that are foretelling the next murder, as well as having to convince his colleagues that he is not insane. And when a series of ritualistic killings happen in London, David has no choice to call upon his powers to discover why each murder appears to have been at the hands of two very different people.

Like Girl 4, some people are going to love this book; some are going to hate it. The timeline isn't linear, and as I said before, there are many different voices telling the story. My only criticism is that I would like, for a change, to read a book where the lead detective is happy in their personal life. Other than that, Carver steers away from clichés and stereotypes, which makes for an interesting and original book that will have you gripped from the start - providing you like Marmite!

Elizabeth Clansham
Elizabeth Clansham

3.0 out of 5 stars Would make a better TV show, 9 April 2012
My first thought about Elizabeth Clansham is that it was written in the wrong era. Take out the sex, bad language and modern references, and it would make a fine historical novel. Indeed the old-fashioned names of Miss Clansham's pupils made me keep thinking it was set many years before. The book reads like a soap opera, full of characters with inter-weaving stories and this was where I became a little confused and frustrated. To me the most interesting characters were Elizabeth herself, her relationship with her uptight neighbour, and his slutty ex-girlfriend and her long-suffering daughter, and no sooner would I start getting into their stories, then I would be disturbed by irritating schoolchildren and fledgling lesbians. I am sure the whole thing would play out far better on screen than in a book and I would recommend that Chapman considers writing for television, as to maintain a story with so many characters, without getting confusing is an admirable achievement and one I think she should take further.

For myself, I would have preferred there to be only one or two main stories running through the book, with the other characters as bit players rather than whole chunks dedicated to them. But if you don't mind this sort of storytelling then you will find Elizabeth Clansham well-written and engaging.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7